Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I pay too much attention to others business!

Bad Michael! Ok I admit it. I have better situational awareness since I started towing. Perhaps too much. I look at things and wonder, "should he be doing that"? I am not the weight police. I like to think I am the "is that reasonable" observer.

It's not just towing. Some people are just nuts? The local tractor store is having a sale on water tanks. 300-500 gallons. I drive by the place couple times a day, it's just outside our subdivision. The units appear to fit nicely inside a truck bed by design. I see them being loaded all the time. I assumed just to get them home.

We are developing a 1/2 acre lot to store our RV and rent space to others to store RVs in a safe secure facility. Today while reviewing grading done yesterday, a man pulled into "spray water on a portion of roadway to keep down dust". His pickup was a stock 3-5 year old 3/4 ton long bed. In the back he had a 325 gallon version of the tanks I mentioned. Had a sprayer and generator set up.

I asked him how it drove with 3000 + lbs of swashing water and another 500lbs of equipment. )Not to mention tool box, tools and his own 300lbs). He said, lil heavy, but it can do it. As I walked to back of truck I could feel the heat coming off the rear brakes! I brought this to his attention, did not think it was out of ordinary! Ok....

What could I say? I asked him if he thought it "might" be too heavy for the truck? His answer "they would not build or sell them if not legal"! Ah, I responded. "Did it ever occur to you, it might just be for hauling purposes, not for using full of water in your truck"? He said "nope" and went on spraying.

So I guess it's not just towing. Some people just ignore weight when hauling! We need to watch out for these types...especially on their cell phones. Lord help us!

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Artemus --- There are all kinds of folks out there. They "walk" among us. Most of the time they will only "take out" themselves, which is sad enough. But when they start hurting others it is time to really be vigilant. It does pay to drive defensively. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Just remember: half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Tom has a great point and I'd also imagine that most people would have no idea what water weighs and most pickup drivers have no idea what the numbers on their doors mean. That's not to say that they're dumb, many of us trusted Keystone to put the right tires on our rigs. We just hadn't had a reason yet to know better.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yeah some just don't know no better...case in point my son. Granted he was only 17 but had no idea about whats too heavy for a truck... I had bought a big pile of pavers off a guy and needed to get them to our house. I figured it would take 4-5 trips since I only had a Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. Well while I was at work my son thought he would help me and came and got my truck. He loaded bricks in the bed stacking them neatly and tight till he had the whole bed full. When my wife saw him coming up the hill she bout did something in her pants lol lol She helped him unload them telling him we got to get these off before your Dad gets home. Here he had to stop and add air to the tires cause they were squashed and the front tires barely touched the pavement. He told me later that it was wondering all over and hard to steer. Guess I should have told him about loading a pickup since he figured if it fit in the bed it was good to go. Thank God he didn't have to stop quick and didn't have an accident.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

The longer I live, the more this becomes self evident.
I find myself repeatedly assuming that everyone is at least as intelligent as I am.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

The longer I live, the more this becomes self evident.
I find myself repeatedly assuming that everyone is at least as intelligent as I am.
That's a very bad assumption!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
The 500 gallon water tank full in the back of a 1/2 ton pickup is not uncommon around our area. A lot of folks don't have a good well so they haul the water. My favorite is the 70s truck with a homemade 6" lift kit. I have wondered why there aren't more accidents with them. When you see them go down the road with the axle on the stops you wonder how many trips they can take.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have a niece that lives in Riverton, WY on the top of a butte and they have not well. They go down the butte twice a week and bring water back up. They have a 3/4 ton with a 500 gallon tank in the back and make at least 6-8 trips each time to fill their cistern(sp). The road up the butte is steep and full of curves. There's no way I'd drive it in the winter but they are used to it and it's nothing for them to do it. They say it's cheaper than trying to put a well in. Sorry, not my way of having fun!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote