Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Toilet/black water back-up problem

We've been on the road since Nov and have had no problems to our knowledge dumping till last week. Can anyone help me figure out this situation? Toilet has been burping for a week and tank has backed up to just below toilet seal yesterday.
TIME-LINE --- For the last year we leveled with the small side to side small level under 5th wheel bump, none on hitch, and it always left us with the driver's side a little low, checking with a 2' level at kitchen, living room and bedroom.
Last week we were dry camping at 10,000 ft and got the our first good rain on the unit in a year. Major leak on living room slide-out through seals (different problem to be solved later ),so next day dumped black tank and re-leveled so little low on passenger side. Even with the tank emptied, the toilet burped every flush but did flush. Went on roof and ran snake thinking vent plugged somehow - but seemed open and measured 112" to bottom of vent pipe and 117" to bottom of black tank and still burping.
Burped flushed for a few days then backed up to toilet flange yesterday. Dumped black tank out but only got out ~ 15 gal, ran flusher a little and heard it swish and water flowed out . Still backed up at toilet, tried snaking toilet and seemed to get into tank past the 2 45 degree fittings but toilet didn't drain. Went underneath and opened up enough to see tank but nothing jumped out at me -whew!!!!
What could it be??
Hooked up and moved hoping the road would rattle and rock and dropped to 5000ft, still plugged. Bought a home style plunger and 8' official snake. Plunger worked. After some plunging the toilet worked. Stopped down road to add ice but ice backed up so used snake and to get ice in.
Working now but do not trust it's fixed or over.
What happened or is happening?
TX Mikey

thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
They cut the holes with a hole saw. Others have said that the plugs were left in the tank and caused a similar problem. Hope thats not your problem. It's also possible the gate valve is not opening fully and causing a blockage. Other than a large plug of tissue or something fell in, there isn't much that can cause it. You may want to try a tissue digester. Good luck.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
There is a possability of a pyramid mound in your tank or your vent pipe has a blockage. you might go to home depot and get some rid x septic cank CLEANER and dump the whol box in your tank then fill it up with water let it sit for a few days then dump and flush it a few times. also check out the vent from the roof un screw the locking screw under the goop then run a snake down to the tank. good luck.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
How much are you or anyone using when flushing? At home a flush uses over a gallon of water and in the rig the water flow is less, but needs to be more by holding the handle down longer. We forget that after flushing the toilet there must be some amount of water following the flush in order for things not to get clogged and to prevent "the pyramid" and keep things fluid. I'm just suggesting something that prevents problems. A rule that works for us is count to 10 for solid waste and to 5 for liquid waste and count slow! (one thousand one, one thousand two, etc.)

I hope you post what you find that fixes your issue.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
still burping lightly
Tomorrow we're moving again to a area without cell or internet till Saturday.
The plan for now is to drain and flush tank till clear water flows then rid-x, and ice for drive up to campground. Then drain and flush at dump at campground. Next rid-x and regular usage till Sat when we'll dump and flush again, add water and ice for move to another location. Drain and flush again and boon dock for the next month. If problem is pile hopefully we'll make progress. I'll post progress and updates as of Sunday
Mikey
Old 07-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike-- IF you purchase some 20 Muleteam Borax and put about two cups of it in your tank via the commode,(See Artie I can use that word too)fill the tank and run to the next campground, it will also help to loosen whatever is in the tank that is not letting you totally empty. Then when you head out again, do the same thing and the 20 Muleteam should loosen anything else in the tank. Keep us informed on how things go on the first trip and then we can tell you what else you might try if it still is having trouble! Good luck!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I am thinking along the lines of Trailer Trash 2: the disc of plastic when the factory worker drilled the tank may be blocking your outlet. Another possibility is that your black tank valve could be clogged with toilet paper and not allowing to close all the way. This would allow liquid to evacuate but keep the solids in the tank leading to the dreaded pyramid of yuck.

My suggestion would be to fill your black tank with water and with the valve closed, see if any water is leaking out to your sewer outlet. If it is, you have a clogged valve.

Now to ask the obvious, do you keep your black tank valve closed until you are ready to dump? If you don't, then the liquid will drain out but won't take the solids which will create the pyramid yuck.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
well we are back on line and I'm getting ahead i think
you all seem to be wiser than me so I'm sure it's a pile and am aggressively going after it with rid-ex
and flushes
problem generation ---- I think trailer leveled to often slightly to driver side, boon docking and using skim per water flushing to space out dumps, off loading with macerate pump not giving a whoosh dump effect so if things aren't particularly liquefie the pile grows, just using liquid smelling treatment from walmart and of course why now since I've been out since November?
The plan is to finish up the rid-ex supply and then use "Happy Camper" only, use more water and live and learn.
mikey the village idiot
thanks everyone for putting up with my continuing education
Old 08-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't kick yourself, no one was born knowing how to deal with a black tank. That's what this forum is for.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is a different life altogether when Boondocking, different problems arise. You got it now Mikey, that Black tank stuff turns into concrete without enough water and flushing.
Just think how much lighter the trailer will be now
Come see us in Tonopah this winter, you will be close?
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
thanks everyone
we're out till Oct health permitting
we plan to be out probably in Jan
fair warning all
Mikey
Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
If the tank is 1/2 to 3/4 full rather than totally full there is a lot more sloshing and movement whem travelling. I used to haul water while in the water well drilling business. I remember well while hauling a 500 gallon tank 1/2 full of water the truck still moving when stopped. When clear full there was no movement. If you leave room for sloshing youll get a lot more agitation. Thats my .02 worth from personal experience.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
I'm my oilfield days the water haulers were always going off the road ,lot of sloshing momentum there

in the next few days i hope to get the luxury to empty them black tank and fill measuring to see volume . 38 gal is spec i think

how much water does a 5 gal homer bucker hold?

Mikey the trainable
Old 08-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thekennys

I'm my oilfield days the water haulers were always going off the road ,lot of sloshing momentum there

in the next few days i hope to get the luxury to empty them black tank and fill measuring to see volume . 38 gal is spec i think

how much water does a 5 gal homer bucker hold?

Mikey the trainable

7 times 5 is 35
Why dont you just stick the hose down the hole and fill it. knowing how much Poo you can hold seems like a lot of time waisted. I never rely on the register to be accurate I wait for the burp and then dump.
Good luck on your next flush.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
all seems well now
thanks to all
Mikey
Old 08-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
well today i had the first real black water dump and the problems seem to be going away.
used the macerator but got a full load out. still loading up with rid-x. thanks again for the guidance