Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Balancing the Chinese Mission Tires

Here is a picture of the tire weights it took to balance one of the Mission tires on my 06 2955RL. You should have seen this thing run unbalanced on the machine. Incredible jump and hop and the tire guy remounted this tire 4 times to get it this good. The others were better but not much. When he first saw them he said they were fine. After working an hour trying to balance them he says that he would not run them very long if he were me. If you ran tires like this unbalanced on your Monty you would be shaking the crap out of it. I have a 3000 mile trip coming up this Spring and I think I am going to dump this junk and get some decent rubber on my beautiful Montana.
Anybody interested in buying four Mission TR tires....... cheap.http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...ctures8014.jpg

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I bet the rim has a lot to do with it too when I had mags on my hot rod the rims plus the tire needed an excessive amount of weights. did you check the rims before the tire was put on?

TT2
Old 03-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Don, that is one thing I will do is check the rims. I have aluminum rims, the tire guy liked them but I will take that same rim in the picture and mount a new Michelin LT tire on it. If it takes the same amount of weight I will probably keep the Chinese tires. I will post the results.
The tire guy is sure it is the tires but I want proof. Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had my tires balanced last spring, took the tire guys 35 mins to do all 4 wheels. I only have one weight on each side of the wheel, and so far the tires seem to be wearing well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wrenchtraveler, did they use a lug centric or hub centric balancer? Most auto places use hub centric and that is why it appeared to be out of round and/or way out of balance. Trailer rims require a lug centric adapter to balance them.

I went through this once with an auto place that showed me how bad the tires and rims were. Once they put on their lug centric adapter they were far better.

You cannot accurately center a trailer rim using a hub centric balancer. If that's what they did, then I submit your tires are probably still way out of balance, in reality. If they used a lug centric balancer, then please ignore this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Steve, thanks for your concern. The first place I went to balanced them wrong using hub centric.
The second place did it correctly using lug centric and he remounted every tire several times trying to get the best balance he could. As I have stated in other posts, before he tried balancing them, he thought they were all right. After having found them so difficult to balance he said he would not run them very long if it were his trailer. I am thinking of just biting the bullet and putting Michelin LT tires on as I have complete confidence in Michelin.

The Missions scare me. Take care.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Ours came with Tacoma tires. They were on there long enough to get the 5vr home and the replaced with Goodyear's. Yes I know people like them and others dislike them and I don't want to even talk about that. Ours are 16 inch tires and I installed the powder in them. 16in take different packets then semi tires do. I have no wheel weights but they balance them selves. This was the way that the dealer that dose truck tires said to do it. Others are right about the lug nut way of balancing them. They are NOT high dollar rims.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We just picked up our 2955RL in Tucson, and drove it home on the Mission tires that came with it. I have made an appointment to have the Missions changed for BFG commercial T/A tires. IMO, those Chinese tires are junk, and I'm not convinced that the Chinese wheels are any better. I know the manufacturers are looking at the bottom line, but you would think that safety considerations would justify a couple of hundred dollars worth of upgraded tires from the factory.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
As of yesterday the OE Tacoma Tires are gone on my 2005 2955. I have 5 brand new Goodyear G614. To use these the right way you need 110 psi rated rims. The original rims on the Monty are not rated for these pressures. The dealer was great, got the proper wheels, and needed new chrome hub cover because the center hole was slightly larger. The few weights he did use are on the inside. The rims are made of much heavier steel. I am very satisfied. http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/...t_g614rst.html

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote