Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Montana_2809

M.O.C. #2809
3650RK

We are considering purchasing our first fifth wheel, a 3650RK. It would be great to hear from other owners with this model, how you like it and what experiences you have had with towing. What would be the best truck for towing this model? Any comments on the rumor we heard that breakage of dishes is common in rear kitchens?

Thanks,
Karen, Ken and our two Wheatens, Celtie and Doogan
Clearwater, FL

Montana_2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
irish4me

Welcome to the forum. Try a search at the top of the page about kitchens, sure you will find lots of good stuff to read.

Rear kitchens can be a problem (for SOME of us). Others have little trouble.

Several discussions on packing a kitchen, many use that slipnot on shelves and similar product between dishes. Not sure, if MOST is the correct word, or MANY, but a lot of us use Corelle dishes over glass or stonewear. Several considerations, weight and breakage. Others of us use a lot of paper plates, or plastic ware.

Packing the shelves tightly seems to help. Keeps stuff from moving around in the first place.

Lots of other ideas, others will be along to give you more ideas/hints.

As you can see, we have a rear kitchen, have not had any dishes break, yet, but have had consderable movement in the cabinets. Would I give up the unit for that reason, NO WAY!

Buy the unit that works for your lifestyle, then adjust the rest. That said, Al and I are still tweaking that kitchen!

As far as your truck, the fellows will be along and give you all kinds of help with that question, but again, do a search here on the forum and enjoy the reading!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by irish4me

We are considering purchasing our first fifth wheel, a 3650RK. It would be great to hear from other owners with this model, how you like it and what experiences you have had with towing. What would be the best truck for towing this model? Any comments on the rumor we heard that breakage of dishes is common in rear kitchens?
Breakage is probably more likely in an RK, but lots of people like RKs and find a way around that problem.

To my mind, the drawback to the 3650RK is the lack of access to the kitchen when the slides are in. This can be a disadvantage if you ever stop at a place where you can't put the slides out. (Rest stops, truck stops, WallMarts etc.) If this is a concern for you, get the dealer to show you how it looks with slides in.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have a 3650 RK and love it. True, that with the slides in, the kitchen has limited access, and make sure all your cabinets are closed tightly before you close it up, I crunched one of mine that bounced open. As far as things moving, I have never had anything open and fall out during a trip, but the stuff will move in transit. My last RV was a mid kitched, and I had stuff fall all over all the time.
Room wise, you will love it, all opened up, it is great. I got the optional Hydraulic controls, which will let you ope one slide at a time, which is great while traveling, you can ope just one, or both of the kitchen slides to get access. With just the appliance slide out, you can move around pretty good with the others closed. I can tell you that at the camp ground, many people stopped to check out the Rear Kitchen, I have an 04, and that was new this past year. No major problems at all, and we have been very happy with it. I hear the 05 does not have the sunkin Kitchen, I happen to like the step, gives the inside a little sense of seperation from the other rooms.
I did upgrade my sound system, and am planning a few other things, but I am very happy overall with this unit, has a lot of space, I dont even have it all filled!!
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
One more thing, I bought my crrent truck just for this RV,and it handles it beautifully. Gte a good break controller, that is a lot of weight. I am ugrading that to the Prodigy this spring. But my truck fits awsome with the 3650 RK.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
My plates and other tableware ride standing on end in a rack I got at Wal-Mart. We do use Corelle and place a paper plat between plates and a napkin to seperate all other dishes. Everything else gets a piece of non-skid material between them. I also have the non-skid material lining all the drawers and cabinets in the kitchen area. This way most things stay put and are cushioned a little.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:14 AM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We have lined all our shelves in this rig with adhesive backed cork, available at Lowes and probably others. It really helps to keep things from sliding. We put everything in the shelves in plastic boxes and that helps too. Like many others, we use Corelle (sp?) dishes, no breaks yet.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I often wonder if the RK models buck up and down more while towing. The added weight on the rear of the 5er present that problem. We opted for the mid kitchen set up to better balance the load. The 3400 seems to fit that bill and does tow like a dream.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Native Tex

Could be, but we had trouble with prior unit TT with front kitchen. The bed, which was in the back of the unit,kept unmaking itself, as well as the clothes hopped around back there and were sometimes found on the floor. (See prior posts I have made about this subject)

Not sure if we ever came to a conclusion if it is due to bad roads (like I 10) or heavy breaking or possible difficulties with the springs/axles, etc.

Maybe I should ask my son, the one who has a doctorate in physics!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:18 PM   #10
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
The bucking in my 3650 RK is no worse than my smaller Cougar, with the mid Kitchen.
Not too bad at all.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:47 AM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
My two cents worth ... We have the same model as CountryGuy and, as with so many other things on this Forum, we have had completely different experiences with our rear kitchen.

After 2-1/2 years and about 25,000 miles on this rig, we've only had one broken item ... a large CorningWare skillet. I have since lined the shelves with the non-skid stuff, as well as layered the non-skid stuff in/around the breakable items (glass measuring cups and glass Pyrex mixing bowls).

As far as movement in the cabinet is concerned, from everything I've read on the Forum, I've decided I've got this place packed so tight NOTHING can move. When we're traveling and have dirty glasses (I opted for acrylic) in the sink, the remaining glasses in the cabinet will sometimes get tossed around if we've had a particularly hard ride. We also use Corelle and one of those vinyl-wrapped-corner-plate-stacker-thingies. Since I have two sizes of bowls on the middle shelf, I've learned to put a tension bar across the opening to this cabinet ... after having the small bowls rain down on me upon opening the cabinet door.

I also make it a practice to put the heavier items in the lower cabinets and Steve has been good about adjusting the latches whenever I've pointed out a loose one to him.

I think the key is the non-skid stuff, the small tension bars across the cabinet openings (just on some of the cabinets - also using them as dividers within the cabinet to reduce movement) and LOTS of stuff in the cabinets. At least this has worked for us.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote