Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
When is the battery disconnect not a disconnect?

I've already discovered that the Level Up system isn't disconnected by the battery disconnect switch. But yesterday, I was doing some maintenance and forgot that the disconnect switch was in the disconnected position and the key removed. I leave it this way to save battery and test it with the Convenience Center light. So I was surprised when I hooked up the house power to my Honda 2000UI via the main cable and pigtails and all the power in the Monty worked.

So does being on A/C override the Battery disconnect?

jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Being on house (generator) power provides 12V via the converter to power all the lighting etc within the unit, this does not override the battery disconnect. However you will not be maintaining the battery through the converter with the battery disconnected if you were connected to shore power or to the generator.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Thanks, that makes sense. If I don't turn the battery on it will not charge, but the inverter will power the 12V circuits.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

Thanks, that makes sense. If I don't turn the battery on it will not charge, but the inverter will power the 12V circuits.
That is correct. However if you are connected to the TV and towing you will receive some charge from the TV circuit as it is not related to the battery disconnect.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
If you are parked for three months, hooked up to shore power, should you use the battery disconnect or leave it on to maintain the batteries?
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jewels

If you are parked for three months, hooked up to shore power, should you use the battery disconnect or leave it on to maintain the batteries?
I suppose that is a matter of choice, I have my Monty plugged in all the time and the batteries are being maintained through the converter. I check them for water every 3 months or so. In other words my batteries are "not" disconnected.

I personally don't use the battery disconnect at all and even if I could not plug into shore power I would either install a disconnect at the battery to eliminate all drain or simply disconnect the battery. I have determined that on mine the remote receiver, the breakaway switch and the wire leading to the trailer plug that is hot from the TV are all connected when the disconnect is in the off position. The only drain in those three is the receiver.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I imagine that the fridge also bypasses the battery disconnect (if the fridge is on) as the fridge will not operate w/o a 12v power source, even if on house current and the fridge on AC - as per Keystone.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

I imagine that the fridge also bypasses the battery disconnect (if the fridge is on) as the fridge will not operate w/o a 12v power source, even if on house current and the fridge on AC - as per Keystone.
Don't know about all of the units but in my 3402RL the fridge will operate with the battery disconnect in the off position as long as I am plugged into shore power. It then get's the required 12V from the converter, and will work on either propane or 120V.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
I found that with the battery disconnect, some items are still drawing on the batteries. When I park it for a long period, I will disconnect the battery cables to eliminate the draw. We do not have the convenience of shore power. I forgot to disconnect them a month ago and noticed yesterday they were down to 1/3, so I disconnected them. Nothing worst then a dead or drained battery when you get ready to go. Also, I drilled a 1/8" hole on my landing gear square casing at 5" and 13". This enables me to occasionally spray some spray (Lithium) grease on the drive gear. This places grease at the upper and lower position of the gear, so the drive nut lubricates both top and bottom.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never in over 7 years and two Montana's touched the battery disconnect switch.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have never in over 7 years and two Montana's touched the battery disconnect switch.
But in the 7 years and two Montana's has the rig ever been disconnected from shore power?
The only sure way to isolate the battery draw is to disconnect the battery from the circuit by either disconnecting it or installing a switch (at the battery itself) which in effect does the same thing. And I do not believe the fridge will work with the battery disconnect engaged, but as always I may be wrong. When I turn the fridge on the day before we depart (mini-storage routine), I always make sure the battery disconnect is disengaged (by turning on the light in the convenience center and making sure that it comes on).
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I am with richfaa on this, I have not used the battery disconnect in any of my RV's except to test theory's of what is on and what is not on when the batteries are disconnected.

The only thing the disconnect should not "disconnect" is the breakaway switch and the wiring to the TV for charging the battery. If this was done we would have no drain whatsoever when the disconnect was enabled/disabled, (whatever way you want to express it).

Bingo all of the circuits in the RV that have a fuse in the main panel are fed by both the batteries, (when not disconnected) and the converter. Among those fuses there is one for the fridge, I hate to tell you but the fridge will run off the converter with the batteries disconnected. You are not always wrong of course, perhaps confused but not wrong LOL, but please do test my findings for yourself.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
So if I was a good little boy and turned off everything in the RV at their own switch then I'd have the same drain with or without the Battery Disconnected??

Also if I left the 5W this way, how long would 1 battery last? I'm looking to keep it reasonably charged so it reducing my getting ready to leave time. I don't have access to shore power where I store it.

Would a solar trickle charger be a good solution to this?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

But in the 7 years and two Montana's has the rig ever been disconnected from shore power?
The only sure way to isolate the battery draw is to disconnect the battery from the circuit by either disconnecting it or installing a switch (at the battery itself) which in effect does the same thing. And I do not believe the fridge will work with the battery disconnect engaged, but as always I may be wrong. When I turn the fridge on the day before we depart (mini-storage routine), I always make sure the battery disconnect is disengaged (by turning on the light in the convenience center and making sure that it comes on).
Bingo
Actually the only time the Montana is NOT on shore power is when we are enroute from one location to another. They have never been stored.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Bingo all of the circuits in the RV that have a fuse in the main panel are fed by both the batteries, (when not disconnected) and the converter. Among those fuses there is one for the fridge, I hate to tell you but the fridge will run off the converter with the batteries disconnected. You are not always wrong of course, perhaps confused but not wrong LOL, but please do test my findings for yourself.
Ed,
I should have been more specific. I meant to say that I do not believe the fridge will work with the battery disconnect engaged when there is no shore power present. I was referring to the occasions when we turn the fridge on in transit. I do not know this as a fact for every model, but as stated, I always make sure the battery disconnect is disengaged when we are travelling with either the furnace or the fridge on. I do know that the furnace will not run with the battery disconnect switch engaged when there is no shore power present. The pets can testify to that (or can they?) from a mistake made a few years ago that tested their fur coat insulation ratings!
Bingo
Old 12-31-2013, 03:19 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:

So if I was a good little boy and turned off everything in the RV at their own switch then I'd have the same drain with or without the Battery Disconnected??

Also if I left the 5W this way, how long would 1 battery last? I'm looking to keep it reasonably charged so it reducing my getting ready to leave time. I don't have access to shore power where I store it.

Yes, many use a solar trickle charger , or you can install a disconnect switch at the battery itself, or even simpler, unhook the battery.

Bingo
Old 12-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #17
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I misunderstood your post Bingo, the fridge will not run when the batteries are disconnected and you are not on shore power. The battery and converter are connected through the cut off switch. As I said, I never use the switch and my fridge is running on propane when I am traveling, I never run the furnace while traveling as I believe that is a waste of propane, but some do and their batteries have to be on line.

Now we know where your switch is, engaged/disengaged, on/off we can sort it all out. Silly way to mark a switch in MHO.

Quite a few folks use a solar charger because even with no drain a battery looses it's charge slowly over time.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #18
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:

There are certain things in the RV that do not have their own switch, the fridge control board uses some power, the propane detector uses some power as does your bedroom TV even when we are not using them. The only way to eliminate drain from the "living area" of the RV is to use the cutoff switch.

If my RV was going to be sitting not plugged in for several months I would remove the battery and maintain it at home, just take it back and reinstall a fully charged battery when preparing to leave.

I have never used a solar charger but some have, how well they work I cannot say.