Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
EMS-HW50C Electrical Management System

Hi Folks,

I installed the EMS-HW50C Electrical Management System today. I put it between the panel and the transfer switching thinking it would be good to know how many Amps the inverter or Honda Generator was putting out. The EMS doesn't like either, The inverter causes a E9, and the Honda generator E-2. I can switch the bypass switch and everything works, but don't get the neat displays.

I called Progressive and talked to the owner, he said the E2 is expected for Honda Generators, which makes sense, E2 = Open Ground (means no ground wire connection)... sooo my question is what do the rest of you with Honda Generators do? Just put the EMS in bypass? Does anyone run the inverter thru the EMS?

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I was told to make a pigtail and bond the neutral and ground together for use with the generator. I am surprised Progressive did not tell you the same thing, it is for all generator's as I understand it, not just Honda's. Hope this helps
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I was told to make a pigtail and bond the neutral and ground together for use with the generator. I am surprised Progressive did not tell you the same thing, it is for all generator's as I understand it, not just Honda's. Hope this helps
Bingo
Thank Bingo, I will give it a try in the morning.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I was told to make a pigtail and bond the neutral and ground together for use with the generator.
Bingo,

Thanks, tied the ground and neutral together (like is in house wiring), and everything works like I expected. Now I can tell, how man Amps are being drawn, weather I am on shore power, generator, or inverter.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Hi Folks,

For those like me who like to see pictures, here is the finish install of the Progressive Industries, EMS-HW50C Electrical Management System. When running the Inverter, you need to turn off the Convert, so I wire a switch in for the Convert outlet. This was done so I don't have to keep flipping the circuit breaker for the converter when starting the inverter.

The EMS-HW50C is the box behind the box in the forground (which is the 50Amp Transfer switch).

Old 03-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Nice job, glad you got it working.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Nice job John, thanks for all the pictures
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Hi Folks,

For those like me who like to see pictures, here is the finish install of the Progressive Industries, EMS-HW50C Electrical Management System. When running the Inverter, you need to turn off the Convert, so I wire a switch in for the Convert outlet. This was done so I don't have to keep flipping the circuit breaker for the converter when starting the inverter.

The EMS-HW50C is the box behind the box in the forground (which is the 50Amp Transfer switch).
7.3Ford thanks so much for the pictures. My EMS-HW50C arrived the other day and I've been searching for installation tips. Seems your idea of intercepting the power wire right before the transfer switch is the best idea. I can hear the transfer switch buzz in my 3500rl but have not tried to get to it yet (hate it when work gets in the way of my RVing).
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
When I was researching the installation, this is what I found:

"A hardwired EMS should be installed prior to the transfer switch. The reason for this is RV generators already have built-in voltage and frequency protection. If the EMS is installed after the transfer switch, this leaves the transfer switch vulnerable to power problems."

I think this was out of the Progressive manual if I recall correctly.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

"A hardwired EMS should be installed prior to the transfer switch. The reason for this is RV generators already have built-in voltage and frequency protection. If the EMS is installed after the transfer switch, this leaves the transfer switch vulnerable to power problems."

The HW50C manual says it may be installed before or after the transfer switch and says "Never plug the EMS into an inverter" though doesn't specify why.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

The HW50C manual says it may be installed before or after the transfer switch and says "Never plug the EMS into an inverter" though doesn't specify why.
Yeah, that's strange. It is actually on Progressive's own website under FAQ's, then fifth item down:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/faqs.htm

Seems they contradict themselves a wee bit then.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote