Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Why would we think a Extended warranty company should be not for profit.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #22
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
If it makes you feel better, I retract the "for profit" of my prior post.

Now, having said that, restating my position... money going out of my pockets into somebody elses, somebody who is less interested in me and more interested in getting a piece of my repair spending action. I'd prefer not to do that, if you are okay with it... a choice. More power to you.
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do you not have health insurance, Homeowners insurance, Auto, truck, RV insurance, Life insurance. I am curious as to the rational of companies not making a profit.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #24
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Not suggesting companies not make a profit. Not against insurance either, but where I can, I'd prefer to self-insure. If the law or other entity requires me to have insurance I'll get what's best for me or potentially seek other alternatives. Pretty sure no law will ever put in force to require me to have an extended warranty.

Beyond that, Have a nice day.
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To self insure is a personal choice and OK for those that chose to. You did clarify that you did not intend to suggest that extended warranty companies should be not for profit.

We can not afford to self insure against large losses so we pay a premium that we can afford. In our case our Extended warranty has been of benefit to us.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have self insured my aircraft hull insurance not liability for over 50 years I lost the last 3 in a Hurricane.

When I added it all up I came out over $1,000,000 ahead of the insurance companies.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In terms of the RV extended warranties they have always paid out more than we paid in.

Home, auto ,Rv and health insurance is another story.I have no way of calculating the total Home owners insurance we have paid out over the last 50 years with little return.

Helen's last Health care bill was over 60K cost to us 3K as she was not yet on Medicare.

With the track record on RV failures we felt a Extended warranty was necessary.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:50 AM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
bbb reports that the majority of extended warranty complaints are attributed to the consumer not reading the extended warranty contract and not understanding what is in it.
We have been using extended warranties ( service contracts) since 2006 on our two montana's with not a problem.

We have used rv shield, good sam and now cornerstone and used all of them with no troubles.
good sams stated ,"we cover slide outs". So, we had 1200 in slide repairs. They did not cover! When asked why not, they said most of the labor charges , about 12 hours. They said we dont cover "adjustments". I said "what?". They said go down to motorhome front ends on what we dont cover. It says we dont cover front end parts or adjustments!!! Wth? This is under motor home alignment not slide outs! They again said, the slide out needed to be adjusted and we dont cover that...never again will we ever buy one of these crooks plans.. They did give us a refund..this is the 2nd plan that just was a scam. Less than a year later the montana is back in the shop getting THE SAME SLIDE FIXED AT MY COST!!!!!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #29
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Sorry you got scammed. I don’t have that plan. I am not impressed with the Good Sam plans. I am currently investigating other alternatives.
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #30
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Exactly what did they do to your slide? What was the problem with it?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #31
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Exactly what did they do to your slide? What was the problem with it?
Lynwood
My slideout, the large one, broke the gears by going sideways. I needed 2 new gears and a special bracket that held the gear pack against the teeth on the rails. Because of this, new gears were installed and a labor intensive adjustment had to be done. The adjustment not only is up and down but side to side. Timing of both ends is essential.. it was fixed in Oregon. On our latest trip the slide gears broke again. Now the repair shop is using heavier parts so hopefully it won't happen again. If you look at the large slideout, the metal bar at the outermost part of the slide is maybe 1 inch wide. This is too flimsey because this slide is not only long but very heavy. This slide holds tge refrigerator, the tv, the cabinets and dish cupboards., ours was WAY UNDERBUILT..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #32
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote