Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #41
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I did not do the installation myself, but I had a problem with the flexible hoses that went from the metal tubing to the drum itself. I think these may be the fittings and threads that you may need to know about:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...s90ff-1-5.html

You can enlarge the image and see the threads and fittings pretty good. I had to drive from Brunswick, GA to East Texas without any trailer brakes because no one had these hoses in stock. I now carry some extras.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, just forgive and procede.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #42
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Besides tring to double flare SS tubing which is next to impossible to do without splitting, the adapter fittings would be difficult to find without using the very expensive AN 37 degree versions which would use only a single flare. Then there are the calipers that are built for 3/16 (1/8 ID) line and the actuator which may not support that size as well as provide sufficiant volume at pressure (1600 psig). Then for any DOT flex lines - you will be hard pressed to find any for 3/8" line.

prndl, these rotors are similar in thickness to the '80s and '90s GM rotors which then support the GM style SAE calipers of the same vintage. This is what the 6K look like, 7K are virtually identical but with 8 lug hubs (yes, I did pull my axles and repainted them):
What brand is the disc brakes in the picture?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:12 PM   #43
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by padredw View Post
I did not do the installation myself, but I had a problem with the flexible hoses that went from the metal tubing to the drum itself. I think these may be the fittings and threads that you may need to know about:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...s90ff-1-5.html

You can enlarge the image and see the threads and fittings pretty good. I had to drive from Brunswick, GA to East Texas without any trailer brakes because no one had these hoses in stock. I now carry some extras.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, just forgive and procede.
Good info. Didn't quite answer my question but still useful.

Let me ask this. Was there a fitting that could be screwed out of the housing where the hose makes connection?

Good news from me is there are several hydraulic hose making shops within just a few miles of my house. Specific to your type of hose, you may well find that some of the auto parts houses are able to make the hose. I have a O Rileys that makes hoses. Not for certain they would be able to make that one but would be worth a try. Better than traveling several hundred miles without brakes for sure.....
Old 01-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #44
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
Let me ask this. Was there a fitting that could be screwed out of the housing where the hose makes connection?
Even though I did the replacement of the two flexible hoses (which happened to be on the two rear wheels, one on each side), I can not answer this. I just used the existing fittings as the hoses were exact replacements.

As an aside, It was over 800 miles from Brunswick to my home and, though I would never advise anyone to do this, I really had no trouble. My 2500 Duramax/Allison Chevrolet handled the braking quite well (31' fifth-wheel), even in the many small cities we had to go through. I must say I was very actively engaged in driving through the towns.

The problem I had was that the installer made a mistake that allowed these flexible hoses to rub against the tires until a hole allowed all the fluid to leak out. I stopped several times at shops and parts stores but no one had hoses that would fit on my drums and lines.

Just thought I'd give the back story. The installer supplied the replacement flexible hoses and a couple of extras and I installed them myself.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #45
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ok thanks for the reply.

One of the reasons I like the idea of running SST braided flex lines is it significantly reduces the chances of abrasion failures.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #46
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm dun

I'm going to bow out of this test of wills because we both are beginning to compress a lot of hot air which usually leads to no good. I will however answer a question of yours. The fittings screwed into the Kodiak calipers that accept 3/16" industry standard inverted flare flex lines have 3/8-24 female threads for the nuts and 1/8" pipe thread going in to the caliper. The fitting that screws into a Hydrastar unit "appears" to be 7/16-20 threads although it may be metric. It is straight thread o-ring seal. Why one would go to the trouble of having special flex lines made to go from frame to calipers makes no sense to me when you can go to about any auto parts store and get 18" flex lines already made for the fittings and frame mounting bracket at hand. Besides ... when out in "bum flop Egypt" and you pop a hose ... who's going to make up your special hose? Oh ... OK ... drag along spares to accommodate your whim. I will not say more due to the constraints of this forum. If you want to see a quality installation that won't look like something that belongs on a back hoe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00284.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	1073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00285.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	1074  
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #47
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I'm seriously looking at the complete kits from Performance Trailer Breaking.

Anyone have experience using these kits?

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:39 AM   #48
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
"Both me and Dave can lock up all four at 45+ mph on dry asphalt with our 3/16" line " Okay am i the only one picturing
A. The hitch being ripped out of the truck
B. The bed of the truck being ripped off of the truck
C. the MORride Elastamers being stretched out and yanking the truck back.

Yes, I grew up watching BW silent movies and Road Runner cartoons.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #49
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
What brand is the disc brakes in the picture?

Kodiak
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #50
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I'm seriously looking at the complete kits from Performance Trailer Breaking.

Anyone have experience using these kits?

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/

I looked at their offerings when doing my research and found them over priced vs the 'kit' I made up
Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 AM   #51
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
"both me and dave can lock up all four at 45+ mph on dry asphalt with our 3/16" line " okay am i the only one picturing

i did it at 65 mph on i-87 near exit 25, not at 45 mph

a. The hitch being ripped out of the truck

nah! Not a b&w on ford pucks

b. The bed of the truck being ripped off of the truck

a ford? No way 109,000 miles+ and still solidly attached

c. The morride elastamers being stretched out and yanking the truck back.

they still work and look good at 22,000 miles even though one was assembled wrong by the mfr.:d

yes, i grew up watching bw silent movies and road runner cartoons.

no mery melodies or tom and jerry cartoons? Heck, saturday movie matinees were my staple and the 25 cent allowance got me in for a double feature as well as a bag of popcorn

Old 01-27-2018, 06:40 AM   #52
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I'm going to bow out of this test of wills because we both are beginning to compress a lot of hot air which usually leads to no good. I will however answer a question of yours. The fittings screwed into the Kodiak calipers that accept 3/16" industry standard inverted flare flex lines have 3/8-24 female threads for the nuts and 1/8" pipe thread going in to the caliper. The fitting that screws into a Hydrastar unit "appears" to be 7/16-20 threads although it may be metric. It is straight thread o-ring seal. Why one would go to the trouble of having special flex lines made to go from frame to calipers makes no sense to me when you can go to about any auto parts store and get 18" flex lines already made for the fittings and frame mounting bracket at hand. Besides ... when out in "bum flop Egypt" and you pop a hose ... who's going to make up your special hose? Oh ... OK ... drag along spares to accommodate your whim. I will not say more due to the constraints of this forum. If you want to see a quality installation that won't look like something that belongs on a back hoe
Hmmmm shame you didn't show THOSE pictures to begin with. That is actually a very clean looking setup. I may well just go with that.

But if you haven't seen SST braided lines used before you obviously haven't been to a car show and looked under the hood of a custom......

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #53
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
But if you haven't seen SST braided lines used before you obviously haven't been to a car show and looked under the hood of a custom......

Good luck finding DOT approved braided SS lines with SAE male 45 degree fittings!! Lines made up at a hydraulic shop will not be DOT

Every fitting on this chassis is AN and 37 degree - because they had to be. Every SS brake flex line is DOT, the low pressure lines (fuel, trans fluid, vacuum, etc) are all made up by myself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThansOH.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1076  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #54
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Good luck finding DOT approved braided SS lines with SAE male 45 degree fittings!! Lines made up at a hydraulic shop will not be DOT

Every fitting on this chassis is AN and 37 degree - because they had to be. Every SS brake flex line is DOT, the low pressure lines (fuel, trans fluid, vacuum, etc) are all made up by myself
Now that is a clean looking setup!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #55
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
X2! Very nice!
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #56
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Does the Ford factory integrated brake controller work well with the Hydrastar controller? I was reading on Etrailer about an issue with the Brakerite EHB.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #57
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I've noticed some installations use one flexible line from the frame to each axle and then "T" to service both brakes on that axle.

Others have installed a flexible line from the frame to each wheel.

The first would be the simpler installation. Any reason not to go that route?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #58
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Does the Ford factory integrated brake controller work well with the Hydrastar controller? I was reading on Etrailer about an issue with the Brakerite EHB.
Your '14 will but you do need to change the function on the dash info panel to electric over hydraulic

Also, for sure, all '11- current will work with the Hydrastar. There are a few years where you will need either their 'adapter' or a Prodigy 3 or 4. Dig into the Carlisle Hydrastar site and any pick ups prior to '11, can find which years. Some late Dodge/Ram and GM trucks also need the adapter or Prodigy
Old 01-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #59
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
I've noticed some installations use one flexible line from the frame to each axle and then "T" to service both brakes on that axle.

Others have installed a flexible line from the frame to each wheel.

The first would be the simpler installation. Any reason not to go that route?

Actually, both are pretty simple - and I am changing my mind towards the Kodiak flex line system - as long as I don't have to coil up a bunch of loose hose length. There are kits with 15 to 24 foot initial lengths. The solid line is not for every DIYer as it requires a good tubing cutter and a 45 degree double flaring tool
Old 02-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #60
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
My trailer has the single flex line to a block on each axle. Out of the block, a line goes to each side. Its hard piped to the caliper. Just looking at the set up, I don't think I can install new pads without disconnecting the hard lines. Not sure, have not tried yet and will not have to until the pads wear out.

If I would have installed the system I would defiantly install a flex line to each caliper like any car would have.

I don't understand why they did what they did.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote