Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Inverter Bypass Switch

I'm adding solar and re-powering the coach I've got most of the parts now on site and doing the last little bit of design work prior to starting to install everything and have a last minute question.

Does anybody have an inverter bypass wired into their system?

If so - how did you do it?

I just received a Magnum 2012 inverter which has 60 amp pass thru. My Coach has 50a 4-wire service.

My plan was to simply wire the inverter inline between where the shore power comes in, and the a/c panel. I plan on doing that by leaving the shore power connected to the panel, but cut the incoming shore power line before the panel and splice the inverter into the circuit one way or another.

Magnum suggests that you put in a bypass so that you can easily isolate the inverter.

I can think that one way to do it would be to use shore power plugs on the inverter in and out sides. If I needed to isolate the inverter I could unplug it and plug in a jumper made for the purpose and bypass the inverter. While simple - it doesn't seem the cleanest.

I've googled Inverter bypass switch and see a square D 60 amp bypass switch (breaker box) but not sure if that is what I need. I have two hot leads and it looks like the bypass breaker only has one.

Anybody have some thoughts on the subject.

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Glen,

I will be putting solar into our new rig in the spring but previously had installed a complete solar system in SOB prior to our 3580.

Depending what you plan on using the solar system for is how you would wire the coach up. If you plan on using the batteries to run everything on the rig except for the heavy load items (A/C, W/H, F/P, etc.) then you would want to add a sub-panel that you would take your shore power into. From there you split the service with a 30AMP line going out to the inverter and the rest of heavy load items run from the sub-panel. This way if you are hooked up to shore power you can either take advantage of the 30 AMP transfer switch in the Magnum to run things like the microwave, fridge, etc. This will also give you the ability to hook up your generator and charge your batteries if the sun has not shined for a few days. When disconnected from shore you then have full use of the batteries and inverter. If you are hooked to shore and don't want to run hot thru the inverter you can throw the 30AMP breaker in the sub-panel and you have isolated the inverter.

I am sure there will some varying opinions but this is what I did on the last rig and it worked for 7 years!

Good Luck,

Les

Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Thanks for the reply but I'm not going the sub panel route although that is an attractive alternative.

I want to install an inverter bypass simply in case I need to pull the inverter out of the coach or want to isolate it for some other reason

I guess I could keep the shore power as is and run a branch to the inverter to utilize the charger function but I'd rather go with the bypass.

Running all the power thru the inverter has its benefits as the Magnum has the ability to program the pass thru for lesser amperage. For Instance - If you are parked in someones driveway you could limit the thruput to 15 or 20amps and not blow the house breaker since you can control it from the inverter remote panel. Same for a generator. If you don't run all the power thru the Inverter you lose that functionality on the a/c side.

If I can't come up with a better solution I might go with 3 double pole 50a breakers and a breaker box and isolate it with breakers but I'm trying to see if someone has invented a better mousetrap.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Thanks for the reply but I'm not going the sub panel route although that is an attractive alternative.

I want to install an inverter bypass simply in case I need to pull the inverter out of the coach or want to isolate it for some other reason

I guess I could keep the shore power as is and run a branch to the inverter to utilize the charger function but I'd rather go with the bypass.

Running all the power thru the inverter has its benefits as the Magnum has the ability to program the pass thru for lesser amperage. For Instance - If you are parked in someones driveway you could limit the thruput to 15 or 20amps and not blow the house breaker since you can control it from the inverter remote panel. Same for a generator. If you don't run all the power thru the Inverter you lose that functionality on the a/c side.

If I can't come up with a better solution I might go with 3 double pole 50a breakers and a breaker box and isolate it with breakers but I'm trying to see if someone has invented a better mousetrap.
Glen,

Try contacting Jack Mayer located here:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

He has done a lot of these installs and consulted on many more.
I am sure he can offer some friendly advise.

Les

Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Good suggestion... didn't think of that. Thanks