Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Add Flat Screen instead of Tube TV

I have found that I only need to increase the width of my TV opening ~ 3" in our Montana 5th wheel to allow us to install a 32" diagonal Flat Screen TV in the same area as the old 27" Tube type TV that came with the 5th wheel originally. Height is ok.
I would like to know what tool others have used to cut with to increase the width of the opening which allowed a nice square smooth job and then were you able to get the vinyl wood grain(harvest or honey oak) to match so the opening edges still looks good? I need to remove only about 3" total to achieve the new width needed. That could be 1 1/2" on each side or maybe could be all on one side to reduce the cutting and repairs. Not sure if that would look good though.

I'd like to hear how this went for others who have been there ahead of me. TIA.

Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Each trailer is different I put a large screen in the area where the old tube TV was, I made a door to hold the new flat screen 1 continous hinge. and I also have a storage for DVD's and CD's behind it the picture dont show those but you get the idea.

Good luck on your new project, also cutting the face frame on the cabinet might not be a good idea they use screws to hold the face frame together the Kreg jig I believe.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I would think some Home Depot oak trim around the opening would finish nicely. For our last two Montanas, MINWAX Golden Oak stain was a pretty good match.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

I would think some Home Depot oak trim around the opening would finish nicely. For our last two Montanas, MINWAX Golden Oak stain was a pretty good match.
I agree that is the stain color I used for my TV project, wood at either HD or Lowes is a easy buy as you said. if desertRVer has a Krig fixture he could throw one together in a hour or two.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ours is similar to Trailer Trash 2's install, but, a bit different,as we also did not cut the frame, and the telie is larger than the opening.

see it here.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I must done the simplest install yet. Mine has a pull out tray for the TV so I just left it in place and there are 2 holes already in it along the front edge where I put 2 C clips and just set the TV on the slide out and use the base and pull it out where the C clips hook over the base a little so it can't slide off on to the floor. When we leave I just cock the TV a little cockeyed and push the slide back in and have 2 long strips of velcro to strap the TV back against the rear of the cabinet. Now if I had kids not sure I would trust it, somehow kids have a way of knocking anything that is not tied down off and on to the floor lol lol... But for us we don't really need the extra storage yet so it is a pretty simple set up. If we didn't have the slide out shelf I really like the swing out door trick. It's what I did with the bedroom TV, it already had the swing out cabinet door for the TV.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I actually hired a professional "Finish carpenter" and he just pencilled it off and use a fine tooth sabre saw, free hand. Perfect cut. Minwax golden oak did the job. I used almost flat trim on the inside on the unit. Mounted it all on a pull out siwivel that moves in all directions. When we travelled it got pushed into the cabinet and was secured with a 1 inch lashing strap. Nary a problem in 4 years. Pictures in search, somewhere.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don since you have the same unit we do, what size flat screen did you put in there? Looks like a 27" to me. Am I correct? Nice job by the way! I just may have to redesign mine! I've got mine on a slide out tray but put a 32" in and can't extend it out far enough to use the space behind it! The 32" hits the trim around the slide and won't move out anymore than about 3-4 inches!I really like the swing door idea!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Don’t need to cut the opening any at all. A flat screen will cover the opening and overlap the edge except for a narrow space at the bottom or top which can be filled in. I installed a 32” over the opening and used a TV mount from here.

It works great and was a relatively simple installation.

Here is the thread for my install with photos!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Don since you have the same unit we do, what size flat screen did you put in there? Looks like a 27" to me. Am I correct? Nice job by the way! I just may have to redesign mine! I've got mine on a slide out tray but put a 32" in and can't extend it out far enough to use the space behind it! The 32" hits the trim around the slide and won't move out anymore than about 3-4 inches!I really like the swing door idea!
Rondo I dont have the size with me my Monty is in the storage lot I will be going bu tomorrow and Ill measure it then post it for you. one note though the TV is as wide as the cabinet opening maybe a inch over the sides, I did have to get a wall mouny bracket for flat screen to put a tilt down on the screen for better viewing and brightness.

Don
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Now I'm not so sure how I'm going to do this. I guess I'll let all the tips and suggestions stew for awhile.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would also suggest going with a larger screen and mounting it outside the cabinet instead of cutting it. Here is a slide show of mine. I got a bit carried away with it, but it does show how it can be mounted outside the cabinet and still look good.
TV mod slide show
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I would also suggest going with a larger screen and mounting it outside the cabinet instead of cutting it. Here is a slide show of mine. I got a bit carried away with it, but it does show how it can be mounted outside the cabinet and still look good.
TV mod slide show
BB_TX, I love the Idea and it's construction, If I go to a bigger flat screen in my front room I will use your idea. I do have a few question on the left side of the box I noticed you had a filler strip 3/4" by the higth, was that for the cable wires that come through the wall of the trailer, also what was the big square hole in the was going into the bath room.
Next in the first picture I see a fireplace in the bottom cabinet space with a mini mantle, and in the last picture I see the mini mantle under the flat screen, and doors where the fireplace used to be.
love the work.

Don
Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Don - When I made the cabinet insert to install the TV, I made it about 1/2" less in width and height than the opening. But when I went to insert it, I could not get it it because of the wood trim around my slide would not allow me to slide it straight in and it would not go in at an angle. No way could I wiggle it and get it in. So I had to take it apart and cut the width down by 3/4". That just barely cleared the trim. Then I needed a filler strip (1" x 2") down the left side to fill in that space. Our floor plans are very similar so you would probably have the same clearance problem. No cables on that side.
Another slight problem I had was that some wires did come in at the very bottom right of the opening and ran across the bottom of the open space to the back left corner. No slack to move them. So I had to raise the bottom of the insert about 3/4" so the wires could run under the insert. You can see the wires in the 3rd picture. Also wires/cables come up thru the rear bottom of the space, but I only made the insert about 12" deep so it does not interfer with those wires/cables.
The big square hole in the back is an opening thru to the toilet room that allowed access to the rear of the TV. Has a plastic cover removable from inside the toilet room. Mine had a heavy sliding metal mounting structure to hold the TV (the square black object on the bottom in the 3rd picture). But you had to access the back of it to press a release handle to allow the TV to slide out.
Now the opening provides an easy way to access the cables behind the TV in case I need to add or change any.
And in the first picture, you can see the fireplace is at the bottom below the middle set of doors with the mantle below those doors. It is still there. The TV is above those doors.
I have another slide show for the fireplace install.
I did no cabinet cutting/modifications for either install.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Don - When I made the cabinet insert to install the TV, I made it about 1/2" less in width and height than the opening. But when I went to insert it, I could not get it it because of the wood trim around my slide would not allow me to slide it straight in and it would not go in at an angle. No way could I wiggle it and get it in. So I had to take it apart and cut the width down by 3/4". That just barely cleared the trim. Then I needed a filler strip (1" x 2") down the left side to fill in that space. Our floor plans are very similar so you would probably have the same clearance problem. No cables on that side.
Another slight problem I had was that some wires did come in at the very bottom right of the opening and ran across the bottom of the open space to the back left corner. No slack to move them. So I had to raise the bottom of the insert about 3/4" so the wires could run under the insert. You can see the wires in the 3rd picture. Also wires/cables come up thru the rear bottom of the space, but I only made the insert about 12" deep so it does not interfer with those wires/cables.
The big square hole in the back is an opening thru to the toilet room that allowed access to the rear of the TV. Has a plastic cover removable from inside the toilet room. Mine had a heavy sliding metal mounting structure to hold the TV (the square black object on the bottom in the 3rd picture). But you had to access the back of it to press a release handle to allow the TV to slide out.
Now the opening provides an easy way to access the cables behind the TV in case I need to add or change any.
And in the first picture, you can see the fireplace is at the bottom below the middle set of doors with the mantle below those doors. It is still there. The TV is above those doors.
I have another slide show for the fireplace install.
I did no cabinet cutting/modifications for either install.

Well Its a great install and retrofit project. I do like the bigger screen ours is a 37" and a bigger screen in the future sounds like a good way to spend my money along with your Ideas.
Do you have to tilt the screen down for a brighter picture and less glair when you get all set up camping, or do you leave it flat to the wall.
Thanks for all that info too.

Don
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The mount does have the tilt feature, but I have not had the need to use it (yet).
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don, did you mean a 27" instead of a 37"?

I've got a 32" set up on ours but I can't access it! Since the 32" comes almost all the way across the entire cabinet and the slidetrim is there on the left side(looking at it straight on) the sliding platform I mounted it on will only slide out about 3" or so, which does me no good at all to access the back for storage behind the teli and there is a bunch or work with the cables. I have to take the braces off the tv or the sliding platform to work on the unit or connect the cables period! Sorry no pictures! Thought of it AFTER the project was finished! Duh!!!
I like both of your ideas-- the swinging door concept and the swingarm concept. Like you Don, I think I will try and figure a way to set up the swingingarm concept on our unit!

Bill, how did you connect the velcro strapping inside to hold the teli in place while in motion with the fiver? Also are you getting a scratching on the teli from the velcro? Inquizative minds want to know!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:

Bill, how did you connect the velcro strapping inside to hold the teli in place while in motion with the fiver? Also are you getting a scratching on the teli from the velcro? Inquizative minds want to know!
I used some very small brass screws and washers into the cabinet behind the TV. The velcro strap (from Home Depot) seems quite strong and there is really not much force on it so I think it will do fine. The strap is double sided, one side hooks/the other side loops.
When we get set up, I release the velcro, pull the TV out a little, connect the two top pieces of velcro together across the top and the two bottom pieces together across the bottom, push the TV back in, and they stay out of sight and out of the way.
After our first trip since the install I did not notice and places on the screen. I am not sure the strap touches the screen much if any. The screen is slightly recessed behind the outer frame and I pull the strap fairly tight. The strap (especially the fuzzy loop side) is fairly soft. I will have to look closer next time I am at the trailer.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Bill! I was thinking of the velcro that had a rough canvas-like backing and the loop and closer both on one side!

Hey, why don't you guys come up to the MOC Central Plains Regional Rally in July and show us your handy work! Check us out under the Regional Camping Club threads!
This HAS BEEN a CPRR promotional announcement!!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:

Don, did you mean a 27" instead of a 37"?

I've got a 32" set up on ours but I can't access it! Since the 32" comes almost all the way across the entire cabinet and the slidetrim is there on the left side(looking at it straight on) the sliding platform I mounted it on will only slide out about 3" or so, which does me no good at all to access the back for storage behind the teli and there is a bunch or work with the cables. I have to take the braces off the tv or the sliding platform to work on the unit or connect the cables period! Sorry no pictures! Thought of it AFTER the project was finished! Duh!!!
I like both of your ideas-- the swinging door concept and the swingarm concept. Like you Don, I think I will try and figure a way to set up the swingingarm concept on our unit!

Rondo I realy dont know what size that TV is I will be going to the storage lot tomorrow and measure it diagonly and then wright it down somewhere.