Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Axel question?

Guys we are in spokane wa leaving tomorrow AM for pendleton oregon so today I cked the tires. This being the only set of tires that has lasted long to get any wear on them since they are not china here is the thing. the two back ones are wearing on the very inside rib the rest of the tread looks great. the two front look great all over so I am thinking about rotating them shortly but I wonder if my back axel is alittle out. I have approx 12to15k on them so I know they should have been rotated but the fronts always looked good I just notised the wear. Lonnie were are you when I need you LOL.
Bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Stop at one of the diesel truck repair places you see from the interstate and ask them where there is a good tractor-trailer shop that does frame work. The shop should have a large frame straighten machine that they can put you on and tell you just where your problem is.

We found our axels to be straight but the right side was ¼ further forward of the left side. They corrected this and then straightened the driver side frame rail where it had bent from torsion load imposed in tight turns. We then installed wet bolts and the X Factor mod to stop the frame flex at the center spring hangars.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Bobby, I had exactly the same type wear on my rig. Found the rear axle had lost it's camber. Who knows how that happened. Could have been when the spring hanger broke last year. I had a beefier new rear axle installed as it was about as cheap as having camber put back in the old one. Dexter worked with my trailer repair company to get the correct new heavier axle. Jim
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks guys I stopped by a les schwab leaving spokane today and the tire man said there was no need to rotate them because they have already started wearing that way so you can't do anything to help!! so I am going to take a good look when I get to island park may do it myself. Jim I have bought alot of parts from my local dexter dealer I may look at a new axel when I get home and see how much I can get one for and change it myself. I just hate to lose the two tires. you got help from dexter on an 06 never would have believed that. who did you call dexter or keystone?
Bobby
Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I had same issue with my brand new fiver ... rear axle had lost camber and was toed out instead of in ... peeling off inside rib of tread. $130 later to tweek both axles at a truck and trailer alignment place and all has been well since. It even pulls better as in no hunting the high spots on the pavment.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Dieselguy did you have both cked for that are just one sounds just like what mine is doing. going down the road I watch the tires in my mirrows and it looks like the back ones are pulling out just a little bit. I think If I can find somebody around here I would like to get that done. may be able to save a little of the tires. Has anyone used a place in pendleton OR. I am going to look on the net. thanks
Bobby
Old 08-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

That’s what we did. A good tractor-trailer shop should have the equipment to put the camber and toe in back where it belongs in the axels.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Possibly Keystone can refer you to someone in Pendleton. I scrolled thru the C of C directory for awhile looking for names of truck repair facilities but as of 9:51am PST I haven't found anyone. But will keep looking for you.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Woodpecker Truck & Equipment in Pendleton, Oregon
1-888-966-3732

Hope they can help you or at least direct you to someone that can.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Both axles were checked ... rear was worst as I had described ... front axle had no camber as well, but toe was correct. Atlas Spring and Axle here in town did mine.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scductman

Jim I have bought alot of parts from my local dexter dealer I may look at a new axel when I get home and see how much I can get one for and change it myself. I just hate to lose the two tires. you got help from dexter on an 06 never would have believed that. who did you call dexter or keystone?
Bobby
Bobby, I may have mislead you. I didn't get any financial help from Dexter they just helped in identifying the correct replacement axle as I went with a heavier thicker wall axle. Jim
P.S. I thought about getting an axle shop to put the camber back in the old axle but didn't for two reasons:
1. The shops I contacted would not work on an RV
2. People I talked to had varying results when trying to put the bend back in the axle.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Today I went out to the keystone plant here in pendleton and talked to them had to wait for the go to guy!! Bob Payant was busy so one of the workers told me about a rv place in town so I went to the parking lot and Bob came to the truck and got me. a great guy told me where to take it here to get it fixed and said if I could not to come back to him. well the guy he recomended said he could fix it but it would be sept before he could get to it. no way so I looked at them this afternoon and they are not as bad as I thought I looked at night the last time so off to les schwab in the morning on the way out of town for rotation. I will deside what to do this winter setting at home. I have a co there that fixes frames and all sorts of things. But still proud of the way I was treated at the keystone plant Bob Payant is real standup guy.
Bobby
Old 08-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Mel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10238
Does Keystone have a plant in Pendleton Oregon? If yes, do they do service?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Mel they have a plant right off of exit 209 I-84 you can see it rite from the interstate they mfg sprinter,passport,cougar and springdale? not sure about that one. lippert has a big shop on site and a yard full of parts. Bob said if he does warranty he calls back east [goshen] but a super guy. IIRCC they fixed someones frame on here at pendleton under warranty.
Bobby
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Right next door to the mental hospital. Guess they get their help there. g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Is that what it is I thought it was a prison with all the fencing and stuff. DUH I guess they would need a fence. getting old LOL.
Bobby