Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Wireless rear view camera system, anyone?

My backup camera system is shot. Either it shot itself or I killed it while troubleshooting it. Grrr....

Does anyone here have a wireless backup camera system? How do you like it? Where did you get it?

And, the question I hate to ask... did you install it yourself?

patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Try RV Cams, several members have purchased cameras from them.

http://www.rvcams.com/Default.htm
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I just had my backup camera receiver/monitor repaired at RV Cams. They were very helpful. You might try them about repairing your sysem.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
I just bought the "semi wireless" unit from rvcams.com. It is wired from the rear camera to a transmitter on the front cap of the 5er. The transmitter sends the signal thru the back window of the tv to the monitor which mounts to the tv dash or front windshield and plugs into the 12v receptacle. rvcams folks told me that the semi wireless unit works well....I hope so, we'll see. I'll post after I install it with a performance review.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
BE, good luck with that installation. I'm leaning towards a wired setup, as I haven't heard a lot of good things about wireless. So far no one here has admitted to having one, so I may end up fishing wire (one of my favorite things to do) under the Monty. I did find a seller on eBay that sells only units with four-conductor wires and connectors that look pretty beefy. The mini-Din plugs on my old unit were just plain crappy; with my bad eyesight I could never seem to line the pins up correctly.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Our Montana came with the semi-wired one. It is color and works well.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would go with the wired, also the original wire. Just use the coiled cord Tim has for the truck hook-up. Sorry to hear the old one bit the dust.
Just take your time, get some big cardboard boxes, cut them down and slide along on them. I've been under my truck for three days wiring and piping my truck with the cardboard as a concrete cover.
You will do fine.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I went with the wired camera as have others. Take out one of the center rear clearance lights, the one on the top corner, and one of the tail lights. You can fish tape the wire between these points. You can then go on top of the belly pan the length of the camper to the front storage bay where the hyd pump is. Then run the wire up under the bedroom and out the pin box area somewhere so you can have a pigtail to hook on to the trucks monitor wiring. You'll have to drill a 1/2" hole in the rear cap either above or under the center clearance lights for the coax to connect up to the camera. Seal it with a grommet or RTV. You'll also have to drill another couple of holes to get the wire from the belly pan into the front compartment. It takes a little while, but the end product is better than stringing the wire on the exterior somehow and grabbing a roll of tape. The previous sentence in just my personal opinion and not meant to diss any other install.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #9
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Ozz, I think I shorted something out trying to temporarily connect those teeny wires and mini-Din plugs; bent a pin, too. Those tiny plugs are fine for permanent connections inside a vehicle but have no business OUTside in the WX. Now the monitor won't come on at all (I even tried that silly remote!) and I'm back to square one. And NO blonde jokes, you guys!

Dieselguy, Thanks for the advice. I was going to ask... how DO you clean tape off the side of the Monty?

I found some systems on eBay that use sturdy weatherproof connections and will probably go with one of those.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Pat, I am planning the same project this weekend, and following the same wiring instructions as Dieselguy mentioned. I bought a three camera setup from rearviewsafety.com, backup camera and two side mounted cameras. Also got the Quick Disconnect cord that goes between the truck and trailer. Hope to get the truck wired Friday night and work on "fishing" the wires and mounting the cameras on the trailer Saturday. My son installed a similar unit on his TT a few weeks ago and really loves it.
Good luck with the project.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Our Montana also came with the semi-wired system and works very well. The problem I had was with the power cord.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Krusher

Pat, I am planning the same project this weekend, and following the same wiring instructions as Dieselguy mentioned. I bought a three camera setup from rearviewsafety.com, backup camera and two side mounted cameras. Also got the Quick Disconnect cord that goes between the truck and trailer. Hope to get the truck wired Friday night and work on "fishing" the wires and mounting the cameras on the trailer Saturday. My son installed a similar unit on his TT a few weeks ago and really loves it.
Good luck with the project.
Kusher, I am looking at a three camera system from rearviewsafety also. Would really like to hear how your install goes. Keep us posted.
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I bought a wired system on eBay. It has big nasty tough-looking connectors that ought to be sturdier than the ones on my old system. I'll need a hammer to bend the pins on these!

Krusher, I will be watching for a post from you telling us how easy the install was so I'll have encouragement when it arrives in a week.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #14
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Well, the installation is complete and was really not too bad at all. The truck wiring took about 4 hours and the Monty about 5 hours. Would really advise that you have a helper to help with fishing the coax cable through the Monty.

First the truck:
Location for the truck end of the Quick Disconnect was passanger side of rear bumper license plate mounting area, opposite of factory trailer connection. Ran the wiring along drivers side of bed, following vehicles wiring harness/fuel lines. Once to the cab area of the truck, ran video feeds (three, one for each camera) through the body via factor holes/plugs used during the factory "dip" process when applying anti-corrosion process to the cab. I reused the plugs, with appropriate sized holes drilled to faciliate the video cables, to reseal the hole, and applied a sealant. Found positive and negative power connections via an unused factor accessory plug ( I believe for power pedals), under the dash, drivers side. The mutiplexer used in connecting the video cables, power, and monitor was mounter behind the driver compartment kick panel. Worked out really well, as the mutiplexer was small (approx 5x4x1), and you would never know it's there. Monitor came with a fixed mounting bracket, but ordered a suction cup mount (Ram Mount) so I can remove the monitor when not towing.

Now the Monty:

Trailer end of the Quick Connect located above front cargo door. The system from Rear View Safety comes with two 33 foot video cables for the side camera, and a 66 foot cable for the rear camera. I chose this area for the trailer connection for ease in wiring the side camera and neatly collecting the exess wiring, and a good simple acces point to the under carriage to run the rear video cable. This is where you need a helping hand. I used an electrical snake to run the rear cable along the drivers side frame rails, above the protective under belly covering. Once to the rear of the Monty, removing the tail lights and upper marker lights allowed pretty easy access to snake the video feed inside the rear cap and over to the center marker light. Again, two person job. Once at the center marker light, I drilled a 5/8 hole about 3 inches below the light to feed the video wire to the rear camera. Grommets are included in the system.
Side cameras were the easiest install, gaining access to the LP storage areas on both sides and feeding the video cables into the center storage area. When I ordered the three camera system, I asked them to provide the side cameras that were flush mounted, and have "pointing" adjustment so I could angle the camera out or in, depending on the view I wanted. These side camera normally come with their Quad Monitor System, but gave them to me with my system order, NO ADDITION CHARGE.

A quick note about camera mounting. I used some 3M double sided tape, the same that is used by body shops in attaching side moulding, and also used stainless wood screws instead of the scews supplied with the system.

The color monitor with the CCD cameras give a great view back and side. Very pleaed with the purchse and install. Send me a note if you need more detail.

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...onty%20Camera/

Old 06-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Very nice installation and thanks for the detailed posting.

Let us know how the side cameras come in handy.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Very nice and another on my round to it list.
Ref the side camera's I always thought I would want them high for tree limbs. Comment please.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #17
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
John and Michael, thanks for the comments. I am very pleased with the results. I am planning a week long trip the first of July, and look forward to the first real test of the system.

Before I mounted the cameras, I tested viewing range of multiple locations of all three and also took into consideration the cable routing.
The rear position allows me to see the outer edge of the bike rack as well as about 20 ft of road surface behind the Monty. When not taking the bikes, I can tilt the camera up (four small hex bolts) and see as much road behind me as I care to.
The side cameras current position allows an great view down the side of the trailer, wide view of the road along side (roughly 10 ft wide at the basement cargo door, and probably 30 ft or more at the back of the Monty), and can clearly see the top of the trailer at the rear, and a good view of the fender skirts (although can't see the tires). The side cameras can be adjsuted out or in, and of course, can be pointed up or down depending on your preference. Mine are level with the trailer and ground when hitched. The big benefit to the side camera mounting position was the open LP storage area directly behind them. Mounting them higher on the trailer would have been a nightmare in cable routing, and I would have had to point the cameras down to see more road than sky.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have the rearview camera and won't be without it. Still trying to figure out the usefulness of side cameras. Please post some actual images...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #19
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

We have the rearview camera and won't be without it. Still trying to figure out the usefulness of side cameras. Please post some actual images...
Will do Michael, next time out. Just a quick comment on the side cameras. With good side mirrors on your TV, you probably get the same view, although the cameras give you a wider field of view, especially toward the back of the trailer. A good thing if a vehicle two lanes over is moving into the same lane you are planning to move into. Also, while backing you will never have a blind side while turned either left or right.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The newer wireless systems are much better now as they are only wireless from the front cap to the truck cab a distance of maybe 20 feet straight line. We have the hard wired system and it is a must have thing. IF we were purchasing now we would go with a good quality wireless system. the ones we have seen in use work fine and they are less hassle. Check with Rv cams..They are great.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote