Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Firestone Air Bags - Gauge Placement

I have installed the Firestone Air Bags and have the pump and gauge to yet install. I am having a problem on where to placed the gauge inside the truck. I have a 2005 Ford F250. It appears the only place it seems to fit would be inside the glove box.

Any suggestions or help from those that have installed the air bag system with the gauges and pump? As added help for me, where did you place the pump?

Thanks to all, from CCCoollllddddd Indiana

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have a 2006 Ford F-250 and the installers installed my Air-Lift Digital/lighted dual controller under the dash to the right of my gas pedal so it would be close to my right knee while in the driver's seat but far enough away not to interfere. I do have to look down to see it, but it's angled upwards and with the controller's face plate also angled upwards I get a very good view of it.

You'll want it close to you so you can get to it while you are in the driver's seat. Oftentimes, you'll want to change while on the road and in my case, with my short arms, it will be quite a distance to lean over to get to my glove compartment.

ON EDIT: It is attached to the flip down door and looks like this:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/u...controller.jpg

As for the pump and compressor, they were installed on the driver's side, under the truck bed, inside of the frame forward of the airbags just past the fuel tank.

I will try and get a picture of this, too. I am on my way out the door with my camera. They will be posted within the hour.

ON EDIT: Here's the picture of the inside of the frame where the compressor and pump are mounted:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/u...sorandpump.jpg
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I attached mine to the bottom of the flip down door on the dash - right side of the driver.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
On my '04 F250, mine is located similar to Art's, although I have no flip down door. Mine is attached to the lower dash panel, just above the left side of the tunnel and to the right of the accelerator. Easily visible and accessible. Good luck. You're gonna love it!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bob, the gauge is under the dash by my right leg, pointing up, easy to read and change psi as needed. Regulator is under the console, just tucked in and the compressor is under the back seat. I had a slow leak and found it at the pump, didn't push hose on hard enough.
You may have to drill holes thru the floor board as I did, I then just used clear silicone to seal the area.

on edit, you think it's cold there, you should be in sunny Fla and have mid 20's at night, we thought it was supposed to be warm here!!!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Hey Bob I bought a hand pump instead of a elect pump;;;sailer yes its cold as -------------
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Mine is mounted inside the center console. The position is great except that I have to open the console to adjust the pressures.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
My gauge and switch is actually under the rear seat in my F250 CrewCab. It is visible with the left rear door open. Works quite well. I just make adjustments when I hook up/disconnect. I will check it when when we take rest breaks but it rarely needs adjustments and if it does they are always minor.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
I did not see mentioned about having 5-10 psi in them all the time, which I do ,and would feel uncomfortable not being able to see the air pressure at all times while driving, and hopefully being able to repair air loss, and not ruining a set of air bags that lost there air pressure. Thats one of the reasons I chose to install the compressor with a guage to monitor the air bags. I started with air valves in the rear of the truck and filled them manually, to me that was not a good option and of course unable to change air pressure without stopping was not good for me. I have my air gage and switch located near where Art has his in the picture. My compressor is under the truck, just rear of the drivers side front door . I have a crew cab. I ran air lines ,electrical etc along the frame up thru the engine compartment thru exsisting holes in the firewall and under the dash. No holes drilled other than the four holes drilled to hold the compressor to underneath of the body, and sealed with a silicone sealant. Nearly fours years with no problems. The glove box would work, but for above reasons not an option for me.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
PSFORD99, I didn't mention the 5/10psi as the regulator is set at that and it resets itself as needed. With my gauge set where I mentioned, I can see the psi and adjust it as necessary.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
PSFORD99, You bring up two pretty good points.

First, my digital gauge gives me a message and won't let me go below 5 lbs so in my case, I'm covered similar to what Emmel implies. I don't know about other gauges.

Second, I do like being able to see the gauge at all times. On one return trip, the right side pressure module failed and was displaying an error code on the display. If the gauge wasn't visible I would not have seen this. When I called Air Lift to discuss the problem, they mentioned if the module failed then it would have retained whatever pressure was in it last (60 lbs in my case), so the bags were "working", but I would not be able to change them. I drove the 400 miles home and they overnight-shipped TWO new modules. I installed one and now have a spare. I am a strong proponent of being able to see the panel as much as possible.

bw2 - How's the install going? Remember to keep at least 5 lbs in your bags!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

PSFORD99, You bring up two pretty good points.

First, my digital gauge gives me a message and won't let me go below 5 lbs so in my case, I'm covered similar to what Emmel implies. I don't know about other gauges.

Second, I do like being able to see the gauge at all times. On one return trip, the right side pressure module failed and was displaying an error code on the display. If the gauge wasn't visible I would not have seen this. When I called Air Lift to discuss the problem, they mentioned if the module failed then it would have retained whatever pressure was in it last (60 lbs in my case), so the bags were "working", but I would not be able to change them. I drove the 400 miles home and they overnight-shipped TWO new modules. I installed one and now have a spare. I am a strong proponent of being able to see the panel as much as possible.

bw2 - How's the install going? Remember to keep at least 5 lbs in your bags!
Hey, you rich guys can afford the high tech stuff us poor guys have to buy the conventional stuff. I just have the single air gage with switch to add air and another to release air, in any event you lose the air in the bags you will not know unless you are able to see your gauges whatever they may be.I like your setup.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I have the single analog gauge, Firestone bags, gauge, and pump. I am still finalizing where I want to place the gauge. I have a rear view camera screen that site on the floor in the center of the dashboard. With the wires and the air tube, the placement of the gauge is limited. In looking at the pictures in the threads earlier, those are nice installs with the digital gauges, the 'workings' are stored under the dash, not so with the analog gauges. It has been in teens and low twenties for temps this past 2 weeks, so it is toooo cold for me to work further on the gauge placement.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote