Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Cable-Satellite Connection 3400

Just rolled home today with the new 3400.. Have a question about the TV Satellite connection. In the cabnet above the TV I see an outlet that is marked "Cable/Satellite" from this outlet a cable leads out to a splitter. From the splitter, one cable goes to the TV and other ties into the DVD player provided. Above this outlet is another recepticle with 2 cable connections. In this paticular outlet is a short (about 6") cable that ties the 2 connections together.. What is this one for ? Also can just hook up the cable or satellite from the outside ?? How is the bedroom TV connected ?? The dealers guru was out and the particular salesman who gave me the run thru did not have an answer to this one.

Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay mp-rav I am going to give this a try since we have done this 3 or 4 times in the last week aand I'm looking at the connection right now.
To run cable from the campground, plug it into the outside where it says satellite. Top of double outlet inside goes to the splitter. Bottom of double outlet inside goes to the connection under the double one. This will give you cable in the bedroom also. Be sure the booster in the bedroom is off. Set your TV's to cable.
To run Satellite you hook up nothing to the bootom connection under the double. The bottom of the double goes to the "In from Satellite" on your satellite receiver. The cable that was connected to the top of the double outlet goes to the "out to TV" on your satellite receiver. Don't forget to set your TV on either 3 or 4 whichever your system calls for. You do not get anything in the bedroom unless you use the antenna. We use a second receiver in the bedroom and bring the cable in through the window (with flat cable from Camping World) when we are on satellite. Our dish has 2 transponders.
Hope this makes sense.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Ours works as Parrothead described except that when the satellite is hooked up, whatever is selected on the satellite receiver goes to both the living room and bedroom TV's. We only have one receiver.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Here is a link for the wiring diagram for the televison system that someone posted awhile back.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL19/1.../111212066.jpg
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:11 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Parrothead's instructions are good/The bedroom tv in the 3400 is independent from the front bedroom. We also run a flate cable through the window for that hookup. Have the dual LNB on the antenna and use receivers from the house..We will drill a hole somewhere for the bedroom Tv later..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:16 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
... Oh, yeah... and CONGRATS on your new 3400! Make sure you get pics posted in your sig ASAP.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Charlie,

Thanks for posting that cabling hook-up link!

While I’m finally past needing it, any more, because I’ve simply installed a pass-through for the two satellite cables for my TiVO in the entertainment center, and have left the rest of the Monty’s wiring alone, so we can tune to local channels/cable, mainly to watch weather warnings in the bedroom, (or with an A/B switch at the main TV,) it’s so much easier than having to go through those connections in my head, each time I happen to mess around the slew of cables behind the equipment.

I could have used that a long time ago, though. The jumper in that one panel really had me going. It took a while to grasp how the two TVs interconnected, and that each could be fed satellite signals, if we wanted a second receiver.

But, too bad Keystone doesn’t offer an optional double connection point for folks with Dual LNB dishes. Before I put the new dual panel in, I had been using the single Monty’s feed, with one of those thru-the-window flat connectors for the second feed, and was unable to use cable connections at the sites we camped at.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Okay mp-rav I am going to give this a try since we have done this 3 or 4 times in the last week aand I'm looking at the connection right now.
To run cable from the campground, plug it into the outside where it says satellite. Top of double outlet inside goes to the splitter. Bottom of double outlet inside goes to the connection under the double one. This will give you cable in the bedroom also. Be sure the booster in the bedroom is off. Set your TV's to cable.
To run Satellite you hook up nothing to the bootom connection under the double. The bottom of the double goes to the "In from Satellite" on your satellite receiver. The cable that was connected to the top of the double outlet goes to the "out to TV" on your satellite receiver. Don't forget to set your TV on either 3 or 4 whichever your system calls for. You do not get anything in the bedroom unless you use the antenna. We use a second receiver in the bedroom and bring the cable in through the window (with flat cable from Camping World) when we are on satellite. Our dish has 2 transponders.
Hope this makes sense.
Happy trails.......................
.................................................. ...................

OK, here is a weird one.. I tried to hook it up the way you explained (satellite mode) and got nothing so I switched on the double the opposite way and got satellite reception on the main TV and the bedroom also. The splitter was hooked up to the TV from the single outlet (below the double) and I left it alone. Granted, I have only a single satellite receiver so I have to watch the same satellite channels on both TV's but neither of us should watch both at the same time anyway.

Thanks DSPRIK for the congrats and I do hope y'all will get yours in soon. I did not get all the frills with mine but I am absolutely in love with this one. It has quite a bit more weight but pulls much better than did the FW Wilderness I just unloaded.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
MP-RAY

I guess this falls under "if it works don't wreck it". Before you go off camping try to use the TV antenna and or cable,
I think you will have to play around with it a little, so you know how to change the cables to what ever input you are using.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:53 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Was fooling with the Sat/TV/Antenna hookups today.....strange... It works as stated..remove the jumper..bottom terminal goes to the sat in connection on the sat receiver//top termainal to the tv out on the Sat receiver..main tv works fine....so does the bedroom Tv..of course the booster has to be off or nothing works..So the bedroom tv is not independent of the main Tv..they will both work on sat(same chan of course)
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I think this shows that units are not wired the same. When on satellite in the LR, we get nothing in the bedroom. Our purpose for having the two receivers is we have different taste in movies and programs. I don't like horror movies and would prefer to not watch boxing. Ed likes both so the 2nd receiver is good for us.
Happy trails....................
Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is probably one of those running changes that Montana is constantly making Which is good news..the bad news is they don't tell us they made the change. We are still going to install a 2nd receiver in the bedroom when we are gone for a long time.Looking for a place to drill a hole to get the cable into the bedroom.Now that school is out and I am retired again I have plenty of time to make improvements.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Rich
You may not like the idea of going through the window with a flat cable but it works really well. We drilled a hole, and bought one of those grommets for it, into the side of the cabinet (we have a different cabinet than you do) and then I sit a vase with flowers in front of the hole and you would never know. We find we only use our Direct about half of the time. The park we are in here at Polson, MT has really great cable TV. Their WiFi is horrible but the cable is good. Small town yet great service.
Happy trails................................
Old 06-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are using the flat cable now and it works fine ..however that window is 9 feet off the ground and Helen and I are not quite that tall.If you draw a line from the center of the propane compartment to the bedroom window you will find yourself under the drawers along the wall. So the top of the propane compartment is the floor of the bedroom under the drawers. Hole goes there..then under the drawers..up to the Sat receiver..down the wall.into the drawers under the TV then to the Tv input.
No hurry to do that till we leave for the winter ..we don't watch that much Tv when local camping or on vacation and since we can get Sat on both TV's that helps....However of course the stero/ DVD/ Does not work when on Sat because the antenna booster is off.. That system drives me nuts..We will take the factory tour at the fsll rally..I wantee how that system is wired in..
Old 06-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #15
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We are using the flat cable now and it works fine ..however that window is 9 feet off the ground and Helen and I are not quite that tall.If you draw a line from the center of the propane compartment to the bedroom window you will find yourself under the drawers along the wall. So the top of the propane compartment is the floor of the bedroom under the drawers. Hole goes there..then under the drawers..up to the Sat receiver..down the wall.into the drawers under the TV then to the Tv input.
No hurry to do that till we leave for the winter ..we don't watch that much Tv when local camping or on vacation and since we can get Sat on both TV's that helps....However of course the stero/ DVD/ Does not work when on Sat because the antenna booster is off.. That system drives me nuts..We will take the factory tour at the fsll rally..I wantee how that system is wired in..
.................................................. ...................

This is another strange one because on the current wiring that I have hooked up now my satellite works along with the DVD but not sure about the stereo yet.. And another strange happening is the surround speakers working in the bedroom but not over the dining area..
Old 06-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #16
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
The rear surround speakers, (over the dining area,) will usually only work when a DVD is playing, because it works on the surround sound function.

Most other applications will use the front left & right as a plain Stereo sound system.

Some systems can synthesize surround sound in their audio set-up screen. But I've heard, (and had,) lots of problems with that.

But it's good to check to make sure those speakers function. (We had one with a wire that was broken.) There should be a speaker set-up function on the system that will send a tone to each speaker, one at a time. Our original Quest 1000 had that, as does our new Sony DAV-DX255.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote