Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Screen Door Handle

In my effort to forever invent new and unusual problems not found with the “SEARCH” function, I think I hit on one, today.

The screen door handle’s spring broke, and now the screen door can’t latch onto the main door.

Removing the two small screws holding the cover over the handle gave access to the spring. It’s pretty small. About two turns, only one quarter-inch diameter. One end is bent across the inside diameter, and sits in a slot on the axis of the handle, and the other end, (the broken off one in this case,) extends away from the center, and is held in a stationary slot in the handle’s cover.

It’s such a minor thing that I doubt I’ll bug Keystone for a source, until I’ve exhausted the local hardware stores, including ACE, Lowes, and Home Depot. I’m hoping that with all the special springs ACE has in those slide-out cardboard trays, there should be something I could bend into a working shape for this trouble.

I just thought I’d pose the problem to see if anyone happens to know a link to the screen door supplier. I didn’t see “Philips,” (the name embossed on the door's slide,) on the RV Related Links page….

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Well, ACE Hardware had several springs of the same diameter, so I bought two. One stainless, and one plain steel.

I was able to fashion a spring pretty much like the original, though it cost me one pair of Italian flush diagonal cutters, so the door is working pretty much as it was. It is a little less firm than it was.

I will give my dealer a call to see if he stocks the spring, or the handle assembly, anyway. I’m not sure that this spring won’t go the same way the old one did, over time.

Steve
Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When our spring broke we bought a whole new latch assembly at Camping World. I forget the cost but I don't believe it was very much.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Glenn,

Do you per chance have anything from that purchase that might render a CW part number? Reason I asked is because I’ve looked through the CW web pages but only saw the push bars, closers, and plastic slide for the middle of the door. Nothing was mentioned about door handles.

Even if some CW’s have them, the CW in Dothan, Alabama is not overly stocked. I wanted to get a few spare ¾” screws for the trim on the Monty, and found they had no screws, at all! I know I’ve seen assorted screws in some CW.

Anyway, I called my dealer, and lo and behold, he has the latch assembly.

Now I have an excuse to head down to Panama City, Florida for a pleasure trip.

When I mentioned that I was looking for an excuse to get down there, the parts guy told me he knew where there was a wet t-shirt contest on Saturday! But he let me know he was joking.

I’ll be taking my wife along, then.

We’ll drop the furry kids off at my brother-in-laws for the day, and then we won’t have to worry about them being in the truck for any time when it’s over 90 degrees out. I want to stop in the Publix grocery store, Dan Dee’s Donuts, and the Starbucks coffee shop! Plus, look over whatever rigs we fancy while we’re down there. Never know how long those stops can be, but when the kids are in the truck, we rush to make sure they aren’t sweltering.

Steve