Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
Yank
Established Member

M.O.C. #5127
From very happy to very unhappy owners!!

Hi to all!!
This is going to take me awhile to tell you what happened since we purchased our new 2006 Mountaineer 329RLS so please bare with me as I tell you why we went from very happy to very sad (frustrated) in the past few weeks and months.

We purchased our 5er on October 8th 2005 at a dealer called CanadaOne RV's in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. (By the way I recommend that you never buy anything from this dealer.) Winnipeg Manitoba is about 200 miles NW of where we live. We live in a small town called Fort Frances Ontario which is just across the bridge from International Falls Minnesota.

At the time we purchased this new 5er we were very happy in finding a 5th wheel in our price range and a floor plan with lots of windows. When we went to pick up the new 5er, the salesman Ron Martens gave us about a 10 minute insevice on the new 5er and he said that since you owned a 5er before, they are all the same..just that this one was bigger. He also mentioned to us if we had any problems just to give him a call. He didn't tell us that he was just getting ready to retire.

We then hooked up the 5er and headed east of Winnipeg to a nice campground to enjoy our new trailer.

This was a cool evening and we found that our furnace didn't work and also after a few hours the converter quit working so the 12volt system shut down. We then decided to go to bed and see what we could do in the morning.

The following morning was a Sunday and as might guess CannadOne RV was closed until Tuesday as Monday was Thanksgiving Day in Canada. I had to hookup the truck to the 5er so we could get enough DC power to work the front jacks. We had a good trip home on the Monday and on Tuesday I called CanadaOne and spoke with the Service Manager named Scotty and he assured me that everything would be looked after. He gave me his e-mail address at CanadaOne and said to send him pictures and details of problems and they would all be corrected in the spring.

During the winter months Scotty and I e-mailed back and forth and everthing sounded like we would be in good shape in the spring. The only thing I had to do was make an appointment and drive back another 200 miles and have everything repaired. Scotty said it would probably take 2 to 3 weeks.

Here is a list of things to be repaired:
1.3 holes in underbelly that need spray foam that were missed.
2.lock broken on propane door.
3.basement door warped by lock.
4.decals on front cap peeling off.
5.dent in plastic molding...driver in shop banged into 5er.
6.screen door not fitting at top.
7.back window screen doesn't fit...falls out.
8.under propane tank plastic torn and falling off.
9.when 5er in motion steps fall down.
10.propane smell outside small leak.
11.no switch in bedroom to shutoff speakers.
12.lumps under carpet in living room (feels like bolts)
13.converter does not charge battery.
14.furnace doen't work.
15.molding around kitchen fan cracked in 2 places.

The e-mail finally arrives from Scotty saying to bring the 5er into CanadaOne on April 15th 2006 and it would be ready by May 5th 2006 at the latest.

Early Saturday morning April 15th 2006, Judy and I head to Winnipeg to take the 5er to CanadaOne for repairs. Scotty had told me that we had to be there before 3:00 pm as they close at 4:00 pm. We arrived at CanadaOne at 2:00 pm and after doing some inquiring I located Scotty. He then took me to the service department where he printed out a workorder for my 5er and a green sticker with my name on it in which he place on the front cap of the my 5er. I asked him then I we could go over my list of work that had to be done. He said he was too busy and I could leave the 5er but would have to come back on Monday morning and we would go over the problem list then.

Judy and I then had to go around The City of Winnipeg and look for a motel or hotel for two nights, while we waited to see Scotty on Monday April 17th 2006. We finally found a nice Super 8 not to far from CanadaOne RV. When we went to the truck on Sunday morning we found that our truck had been broken into and many items stolen, including a GPS, pockemailer, some clothes and other things. The main thing was they didn't take our 5th wheel hitch...what a weekend..the police never did show up. They gave us a number in case we wanted to claim on insurance.

Finally we got to Monday morning April 17th and I got to meet with Scotty at 8:15 am. We went over the list of items that needed attention and he promised it would be ready to pickup on Friday May 5th 2006. Before I left Scotty and I made sure everything was locked up on the 5er.

May 5, 2006...this day finally arrived and we would be heading back to CanadaOne in Winnipeg to pickup our 5er. I hadn't heard anything from Scotty the service manager lately so thought I'd give CanadaOne a call and let them know we would be into today. When I called the office the person that answered the the phone said to me Scotty who???? My heart sank and I started to shake. Their was a pause and then this unpleasant fellow on the other end said oh he was fired and what do you want?? I gave my name and told him I had left my 5er their for some new warranty work and was driving to Winnipeg to pick it up today. This fellow said I have no idea...call Bob later and he will tell you...I said who is Bob??? He then put the phone down and in the back ground I could here him say...Chris take the phone so idiot wants to no about his trailer. Chris then came on the phone and was alot more pleasant. He said there was nothing listed on the computer so my 5er was probably not finished and more so not even started on and at this time we can't even find it. Chris said he would look for it and call me back. He also wanted me to email him all the correspondence I had with Scotty, so he gave me his email address. I then waited until early afternoon and still no call. My finger nails were starting bleed by this time. I called CanadaOne again and got Chris back on the phone. He said he didn't have time to call or read the emails because he was to busy. He did say they found the 5er and there had been no work done on it. I asked when they could do it and his reply was maybe in the fall because there was nothing ordered for it. I said in that case I will be in on Saturday morning May 6, 2006 to pick it up and please have it ready. He said he would.
About one hour later still upset over the whole ordeal I called CanadaOne again and asked for Lance Cornish (son-in-law of owner)the finance person and seemed like a nice guy. I asked Lance if he would check my 5er out for me and let me know if there were any problems and jokingly I said make sure no one stole the spare tire or anything. Lance said he would do this and let me know. I now waited until 4:00 pm and no call from Lance, so I called again and Lance was gone for the day. I then got some fellow name Jeff who then gave me back to Chris. Chris did say he checked the 5er and it looked nice and clean inside..(we had just cleaned before we took it to Winnipeg.) I said ok I will be in tomorrow to pick it up.

I forgot to mention but earlier that afternoon I did talk with someome in customer service at Keystone and they assured me that they would look into it for me and maybe find me another dealer to do the work on my 5er.
Early Saturday morning May 6, 2006...Judy and I are off to CanadaOne in Winnipeg. We arrived at CanadaOne about 11:00 am and saw our 5er sitting in the lot. I went into CanadaOne and Judy stayed in the truck. I went to the service counter by the parts department and told the fellow that I was there to pickup my 5er. He said ok. I said this sure is a great place here for three weeks and nothing done on my 5er. The fellow shrugged his shoulders. I said why don't you give me new converter so I can at least charge the battery on my rig until I can get it in a shop. He said it would have to be okayed with Keystone and it is closed on Saturdays. I said give me one anyways. He finally said ok I will check. Then Bob the consultant showed up and he found me a converter. As we were walking to the 5er he said I hope you got tools cause I don't. I then disconnected the battery...pulled out the fuse and breaker panel...got ot the defective converter and installed the new one...by this time Bob was long gone. The battery in the 5er was dead so had to hookup the truck to the 5er so I could raise the front jacks. We were all hooked up now so just had to do my circle check. I found everything secure inside and when I checked the tires I found the spare tire to be missing. The cable was in place but the crank the you use to raise and lower the spare tire was missing. It had been looked in the basement compartment. This looked like an inside job to me. I notified consultant Bob and he told me that CanadOne is not responsible for any damage or anything stolen from your trailer in their fenced in and locked compound. Bob said he would look into for me, but until right now 5 days later have not heard a word from consultant Bob. By the way CanadaOne hired consultant Bob to straighten the place up after they fired Scotty. By this time I was ready to blow my top and Judy yelled out to me lets get out of this lousy place.
It seemed like a long ride home without a spare tire but we did manage to get the 5er home safely.

Sorry for the delay but was waiting to hear from CanadaOne. I did get an email from Chris Loney and he said that they were sorry for what had happened and he was going to meet with the owner. The next email after the meeting was that they weren't able to do anything and it was too bad that I had my 5er in there when Scotty was the service manager. I have been in touch with Keystone and they have been giving me some guidance on what we should do about the warranty work and missing spare tire. We still love our Mountaineer and we will try everything to make it right.

I received a new tire, rim and a new set of tire and slide wrenches for the the Keystone Company and hopefully we can get the other problems solved before not too long. Thank all for listening to my complaints. I hope you all have a nice summer. Al

Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Yank,

GULPPERS!!

Await the rest of your post, but, I am pretty sure that number 11, that there is no switch, could be wrong on the later years, but our 04 did not have one.

This is not sounding like a story that has a good ending.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:07 AM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Yank,
I am awaiting the rest of your story, but I don't understand the "I'm too busy, you'll have to come back on Monday to give me your list." After driving 200 miles, we would have gone over my list before he left for the day! Especially if it was going to require me to stay over the weekend. Sorry, but when someone is this inconsiderate you need to make a quick trip to the person at the top. I hope this story gets better.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Yank, I can't wait until the rest of the post. I too will be picking up my new 5er on the 19th and you are giving me some things I did not think to look for.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Man O man to tell you to come back and he will go over the list with you-knowing that you live 200 miles away is rude and down right wrong.Who does this guy think he is???I mean he couldn`t have spent 10 minutes going over your list-come on.So sorry to hear this from a dealer.And I have this sinking feeling it an`t getting any better with the rest of the horror story.My heart goes out to you big time.Hopefully they will in time get things right-and it will be the LAST I`am sure you will EVER step foot on his lot again.

I had problems with my selling dealer as well.i had called Keystone and told them about this dealership and the problems I have had.As it turns out in less then a year after I bought from them,Keystone PULLED their entire line of Montanas from this dealership.So i`ll bet your not the only one to go threw this hell.

"What comes around goes around"
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I also bet the rest of the story isn't going to get any better.
We will be looking forward to the rest of it.
this is like watching 24 on TV.

J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I can only imagine how this story is going to continue. I would have blown my stack at the "come back on Monday" line. I have the shut off switch in my bedroom for the speakers. Also on the Quest unit there is a button for speakers A, B or A&B. Not sure if the Mountaineer comes with the quest units or not.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Yank,

That's a terrible start to your story, and I hope it gets better but I can only assume it does not.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
Montana_5429
Established Member

M.O.C. #5429
I have a 2006 Mountaineer 342 PHT. There is a speaker shut off switch in the bedroom.
Montana_5429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Man! I'll be up all NIGHT NOW!
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
fulltimedreame; Do you think In Canada "I'm to busy" is like here in the South, when we get "Round-To-It" (Tongue in cheek)
I"m popping the pop-corn and can't wait to hear "The Rest of The Story" Anyone like butter on theirs.
I'd also like to be the fly on the wall in the Montana Corporate office when the call is made to the dealer about this.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Yank,
I must say congratulations. You have handled this situation much better than I would have. More than likely the cops would have been called by the time I would have been done dealing with those guys. I am sorry this dealer has given you such a bad taste of what the Keystone Montana is all about. I do hope you are able to get your coach fixed very soon.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am afraid I would have blown a fuse..how did you stay calm
I googled..they have a web site and E mail..will await part two of the story.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #14
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Being retired as an attorney, I rarely give this advice, but you might want to contact a lawyer to go after the dealer.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #15
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Where is this shut off switch in the bedroom?
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:26 AM   #16
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Yank,

I can't imagine there's even more. No one should have to put up with this.

mac
Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #17
Yank
Established Member

M.O.C. #5127
[quote]Originally posted by Montana Sky

I can only imagine how this story is going to continue. I would have blown my stack at the "come back on Monday" line. I have the shut off switch in my bedroom for the speakers. Also on the Quest unit there is a button for speakers A, B or A&B. Not sure if the Mountaineer comes with the quest units or not.

Thanks for the info. They forgot to put a switch in the bedroom, so I installed one on each speaker. They work great. Have a nice summer...Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Yank,
I do hope that Keystone will be able to lend a hand in this matter. Please keep us updated on the progress of your coach.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #19
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good luck Yank. You must be really in control. I think I would have lost it and told them where to go and either fix it or keep it. Yes, I think a Lawyer would have been a good thing here even though I normally recommend one as last resort. Keystone should get rid of this dealer.

One more reason I hesitate to upgrade.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #20
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Yank,

Keep us updated, I'm interested to see if Keystone comes to the rescue for you.

mac