Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
electrical supply from truck

I have good new 6V golf cart deep cycle batteries. After a long trip and a lot of use, they get run down, even after hours of travel. When they're flat, the truck connection won't move the room slides. When I charge the batteries, everything's OK.

According to the short manual, the power supply from the truck should move the slides, and power the trailer if the engine on the truck is running. It doesn't. But the power is present when checking the output from the truck.

What's likely wrong? I'm thinking the charging module is defective, but maybe someone has a solution. This is a new to us 2000 Monty 3255, with little prior use, and well cared for.

Any ideas? We checked all the fuses, and they're fine.

Jack and Penny Hadley

Montana_2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I think your on the right track looking at the Trailer charging circuit tied to the TV.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Having voltage from the tv dosnt mean its ok. If you dont have good solid connections you cant draw enough current to charge the batteries.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
There is a 30 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. It is a large plug in type (red). When I had this problem it was the cause.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
You might want to check the relay on the RV. Had a similiar problem last year and found the relay that the truck hookup was on didn't work all the time. As a result the power wasn't passing from the truck to the RV and also the batteries were not being charged. I believe its either a 50 or 40 amp relay. You'll find it in the front storage area above the batteries if it is similiar to our setup.
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:49 AM   #6
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jhadley

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by contau lake

You might want to check the relay on the RV. Had a similiar problem last year and found the relay that the truck hookup was on didn't work all the time. As a result the power wasn't passing from the truck to the RV and also the batteries were not being charged. I believe its either a 50 or 40 amp relay. You'll find it in the front storage area above the batteries if it is similiar to our setup.
Do You mean a relay, or a fuse. Is it a switch or something? Sorry for the late reply, but I've been away.

jwh
Old 11-06-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
Montana_2194
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2194
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tollmann

There is a 30 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood. It is a large plug in type (red). When I had this problem it was the cause.
Thanks; is that the in-line fuse close to the batteries in the front of the trailer (under the hood? in the trailer, not the truck??)

Please advise; and many thanks. Late reply by me since I've been away.

JWH
Old 11-06-2005, 05:09 AM   #8
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
The problem I had was with the 50 amp relay in the RV. I have two of them on the wall above the batteries in the front storage area. (one is a 50 and the other a 40...I think) The relay sometimes would not open or close as it should and we were on the road in late Dec. so it got a little cool in the RV till we figured out what was wrong as our batteries were not being charged and as a result the furnace wouldn't run. Fortunately it was cold enough that we didn't have to worry about the freezer (inside and out).
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Use a vom to check the plug on the tv for voltage then check the coach plug end for voltage. This will tell you where the problem lays.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:43 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We have a 2005 327RKS TT and on the wall next to the slideout switch it states a battery must be present to operate slideout. I have tried in the past having the TT connected to shore power with no batrtery present (we were changing it out to a new one) and the slide would not operate. I thought I had screwed something up big time. Once the battery was replaced and my wife asked "Did you see this sticker about the battery next to the switch?" Of course I didn't see it and if I did I certainly didn't read it but...once the battery was all connected back up the slide worked just fine. Now you have my 2 cents.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
jhadley, I am curious, I thought you needed 12 volt batteries in your coach. I didn't know you could use 6volt. The reason I ask is I would be worried charging 6 volt batteries with two 12 volt batteries in the tv charging system. I realize you said they were deep cycle, but they are still onlt 6 volt. I could be way off base on this and I'm sure someone will straighten me out.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #12
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
With two 6 volt batteries they are connected in series to get a 12 volt output to the trailer. With two 12 volt batteries they are connected in parallel.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:10 AM   #13
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Jack; I had this same problem and found that ---Under the hoodof your truck, next to the fuze box , there is a small box that is suppose to have a solinoid? that feeds the power to your trailer. ford had not placed this in my truck, just in the glove box! I placed it and now get power to my trailer,andkeeps my battery charged, ----Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I believe that is part of the tow package, if I'm not mistaken. Does your truck have the tow package? My '99 had it is why I ask.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:37 AM   #15
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Steve, absolutly right! but my tow package only had a 4-prong connector, I had to put in the 7 prong,so I guess the 4-prong didnt need a trailer battery charger. At any rate, when I put in the relay,it keeps my batteries up even when I travel with my inverter on and my freezer going. ---Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote