Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Like I said in another post, I'm in the beginning stages of installing Solar. My system consists of 2 Uni-Solar PVL 128 watt 24v panels, 2 6 volt golf cart batteries, Energizers from Sams Club, and the TriStar PWM45 Controller.I've got my inverter, but it's not hooked up yet. I'm also using the heaviest wire I could find, mostly 1-0 and 4-0.

Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #22
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
don't know if you have it - but here is a link to the meter map for your controller

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/su...rMap.03.EN.pdf

This shows all of the views available. I see current watts as one of them along with cumulative. Not peak watts however. Peak is available in the logged data when you connect.

You can get more data it you connect to is with an RS232 plug from your (windows) pc and use the msview software.

I have a Mac so I connected to mine using a web brewer via ethernet this weekend. but now I need to make some changes so I'm working on a workaround so that I can use the msview software
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I must have something hooked up wrong as I'm seeing 39.11 volts from the solar panels when I go to diagnostics, but the most watts I've seen in 28 watts. Right now I'm at 14.7 volts, 87 degrees, 1.6 amps and fluctuating and 20 to 30 watts. Do the watts cut down when the batteries are almost full?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Like I said in another post, I'm in the beginning stages of installing Solar. My system consists of 2 Uni-Solar PVL 128 watt 24v panels, 2 6 volt golf cart batteries, Energizers from Sams Club, and the TriStar PWM45 Controller.I've got my inverter, but it's not hooked up yet. I'm also using the heaviest wire I could find, mostly 1-0 and 4-0.
Alan,

I am not positive, but I believe the PWM45 controller will not match your 24v panels to 12 battery system. I would talk to the solar folks, but as I understand it with a PWM controller you need 24v battery bank as well.

You need a MPPT controller to run 24v panels with 12v battery system. There are many lower cost MPPT controller out there, Morning Star has a Sunsaver MPPT controller ($225-250) which will work with your system:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sunsavermppt

Here is a real cheap MPTT controller $27 which will get you buy until you can get something nicer, which will also handle your two panels, but not sure about the input voltage, looks like 12-20v with output being 12v or 24-40v if output is 24v.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-MPPT-Sol...item2a21ffec9b

But I think you need to use MPPT unless your panels are 12v which they are not.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Alan,

I found this on one of the solar web sites. The PWM may just pull the the voltage down to battery voltage, or it may try to send 24v to the batteries, again talk to the solar guys.

PWM Type Solar Charge Controllers

Traditional Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) charge controllers have been around for several years and force your solar panels to operate at the same voltage as your battery bank during charging. They tend to be less expensive than MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) charge controllers, but they're also less efficient than the MPPT type.

MPPT Solar Charge Controllers

MPPT: Maximum Power Point Tracking solar charge controllers (MPPT) are different than the traditional PWM solar charge controllers in that they are more efficient and in many cases more feature rich. MPPT solar charge controllers allow your solar panels to operate at their optimum power output voltage, improving their performance by as much as 30%. Traditional solar charge controllers reduce the efficiency of one part of your system in order to make it work with another.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #26
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I appreciate all your help guys. I finally got through on the phone to Morningstar. Been trying for 3 days last week and just got off the phone with them. It looks like I screwed up with the PWM controller and the 24volt panels. In my defence, I found the new panels for sale at $125 per panel and jumped all over them. Looks like you guys are correct on my needing an MPPT controller. Looks like the credit card is going to get some more use. Dangit. The PWM will work, but I'm only going get about 100 watts from both my 24volt panels using this controller. The guy from Morningstar said the Sunsaver MPPT would work but will only handle 200 watts of panels. Looks like if I'm going to ever expand my system I'm going to need the TriStar MPPT.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #27
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:

I appreciate all your help guys. I finally got through on the phone to Morningstar. Been trying for 3 days last week and just got off the phone with them. It looks like I screwed up with the PWM controller and the 24volt panels. In my defence, I found the new panels for sale at $125 per panel and jumped all over them. Looks like you guys are correct on my needing an MPPT controller. Looks like the credit card is going to get some more use. Dangit. The PWM will work, but I'm only going get about 100 watts from both my 24volt panels using this controller. The guy from Morningstar said the Sunsaver MPPT would work but will only handle 200 watts of panels. Looks like if I'm going to ever expand my system I'm going to need the TriStar MPPT.
Alan,

If you to with the TriStar MPPT, get the 60 Amp one without the display (will cost same as the TriStar MPPT 45). The 60 Amp has Ethernet port, which the 45 Amp does not. With the Ethernet you can view what is going on with your cell phone or laptop via WIFI router plugged into the TriStar MPPT 60 controller... much better than the display.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great looking system, you do good work, ingenious on the weather-proof feed through. Using your 'noggin!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Thanks Ozz,

Over the weekend it fed me 180 amp hours on Saturday and it was pretty cloudy part of the day. When I get out to AZ, with the extra power I might have to turn the rig into a portable welder. :-)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #30
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Very nicely done.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #31
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Thanks Ozz,

Over the weekend it fed me 180 amp hours on Saturday and it was pretty cloudy part of the day. When I get out to AZ, with the extra power I might have to turn the rig into a portable welder. :-)
180 amp hours??? It's already a welder. LOL I hope mine does even partially as well, Especially after spending almost $600 on a MPPT Tristar 60 today. I sure wish mine looked as neat.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #32
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
That was a good catch by John Walker on your controller. I wasn't even thinking about the capabilities of it. You will be happy with the MPPT 60 and it will give you room to expand as well. I just played with programming mine yesterday via ethernet and the MSView software. Was pretty easy. I can sit in the house and look at my solar output on my computer.

When I made the programming changes and saved them however as I was leaving the coach I looked at the remote display and noticed it was showing a fault condition and thought "oh no - you just had to play with it didn't you?" After looking at the MPPT manual however it said that when you make programming changes you need to remove all power from the controller and then turn it back on to reset it.... think rebooting after installing programs.

Once I did that all was fine.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #33
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Do you mind my asking where you got your RS232 plug? I've went to the site Morningstar recommended, but I guess I'm just dense and can't figure it out. Can I buy one at Best Buy or ? Hey John, same question. Thanks guys, you've been invaluable with all this.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #34
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
You can get them a bunch of places. Best buy has them so does amazon.

I don't use the 232.. You can get a usb to 232 cable if your computer doesn't have a 232 port - many don't anymore.

I use the ethernet connection. Much easier and reliable. You can direct connect your computer to the controller. Most likely with a regular (non-crossover) ethernet cable. I wont get technical on the types of ethernet ports because I'd guess your computer will work with the regular ethernet cable connected to the controller.

To connect and program via ethernet you need to move dip switch (number 8 I think) Its all in the manual. The default position is off.

When you connect to the controller - you can use a web browser to view data.. current and logged. That feature alone is pretty cool.

To make programming changes however, you will need to use the msview software.

When I wired up my MPPT-60 one of the wires I ran into the coach was an ethernet cable. I just plug it into my computer directly - or into my router. Either is fine. right now its into the router which then I can wirelessly connect to from inside the house and browse or program from here. Lots of options.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #35
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Yep, I did it again. I engaged my mouth or should I say "typing fingers" before engaging my brain. I just figured that out. Thanks for all your help. Even when I ask dumb questions.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #36
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:

Yep, I did it again. I engaged my mouth or should I say "typing fingers" before engaging my brain. I just figured that out. Thanks for all your help. Even when I ask dumb questions.
Oh no problem...

I'd much rather ask a "dumb question"

Than make a "dumb mistake"