Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Charging the batteries while in storage with solar

I'm looking for a solution to a battery charging problem.
I want to maintain the charge on my two 6 volt coach batteries while it sits in storage for the winter (yeah, I know, I wouldn't have to do this if I lived in a warmer climate or full timed and could sun chase )
I'd like to find a (inexpensive) solar solution. The Monty is in secured fenced storage but I'd rather have the solar panel inside the coach as opposed to outside. Any ideas?

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Harbor Freight sells a little solar charger that will maintain your batteries while in storage. I use one and it works and maintains the battery perfectly.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This doesn't directly answer your question ... but since I have no electrical needs during the winter storage, I just pull the battery and keep it on a battery maintainer in the garage. When it comes time to de-winterize ... I just check the water and pop the battery back in the fiver. Unless you spend time in it at the storage facility, evaluate if you really need to keep the battery(s) in it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I'm trying to get away from pulling the batteries at all. Those 6 volt batteries are heavy (there are two) and the position that I have to be in to remove and install them sets me up for a sore back and pulled muscles (no thanks!).

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

This doesn't directly answer your question ... but since I have no electrical needs during the winter storage, I just pull the battery and keep it on a battery maintainer in the garage. When it comes time to de-winterize ... I just check the water and pop the battery back in the fiver. Unless you spend time in it at the storage facility, evaluate if you really need to keep the battery(s) in it.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
I've tried several schemes including paying $10 for a young man to pull and reinstall the battery. Then i tried to charge the batteries via the trailer connector plugged into the truck. Too much sitting with my foot on the accelerator to keep the engine speed at winter idle. I finally started using my portable generator connected to an automotive battery charger. So far that has been the best for me. There are lots of sources for solar panels via an internet search. Northern Tool has a bunch; many of the online RV stores have them, West Marine, Bass Proshop,etc. mounting the charger inside reduces the amount of charge you can get unless you have a window facing the right direction. In addition, the wiring should go directly to the battery. If you connect the wires into the DC system inside the trailer you will have to leave the battery disconnect switch on. Usually there are a few low draw items that are on when the battery switch is on, so you have to be sure that they are disconnected or wire directly to the battery. The wattage ratings are hyped up compared to real world results, so be sure you have enough current from the solar panel and then remember that the ratings are set with full sunlight compared to a fixed panel position that doesn't allow sun tracking.
I'm still intrigued with using a solar panel, but for the moment i'm sticking with the generator approach.
AGM batteries are the best for uncharged storing, but they are also the most expensive.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote