Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Nu5r
Established Member

M.O.C. #11980
Read a while back that someone suggested using the portable to help protect the cable whereas the hard whirred one wood not. Sounds like a personal choice to most. CW does have a lock you can get for around $4 that locks the portable to your cable if anyone wants to go that route. Obviously there are pros and cons for each method, so it'll all depend on what you want I guess.
Happy camping...
Ray

Nu5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We went with a portable SurgeGuard and have had it for 6 years. Of course the portable will only protect up to the anaconda cord. If your anaconda cord has a loose neutral you will get 240 volts through your trailer whereas if you have the hardwire, you will be protected through the 50 amp cord all the way to the panel.

milkman:

Quote:
quote:We have the 50 amp also. When we had the front A/C unit installed the readout shows that both units are on the same leg. Is that correct?
If it were me, I would have one of the A/C's moved so that both are not on the same leg. It is not a big deal to move the wires to another breaker.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #23
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

My hard-wired Progressive EMS has an on/off switch on remote display. Can turn it on/off at will.
You might want to check. I'm 99.9% sure that on/off switch is for the digital read out only and not the EMS unit.

I have the EMS hard wired unit and chose it over the portable because I know it will never walk away, nor will I forget to unplug it. Just because it's hard wired doesn't mean it won't transfer from this trailer to any new one we buy.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto on Tom and the transferring the hard-wired unit. when we traded, it took about fifteen minutes to remove it from the old rig and a similar amount of time to get it installed in the new rig. Likewise, with our hard-wired installation, if the unit ever failed, since we have an automatic transfer switch, it would take a very short amount of time to swap the wires and remove the unit. I like the knowledge that the unit is working all the time.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #25
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

You might want to check. I'm 99.9% sure that on/off switch is for the digital read out only and not the EMS unit.
It is a on/off for the EMS. If you have a error code being displayed and flip the switch power will be allowed to by-pass the EMS. In addition I think my display reads "OFF" when the switch is flipped.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
The warranty for the Progressive is also three years for the hardwire versus only one year for the portable.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

The warranty for the Progressive is also three years for the hardwire versus only one year for the portable.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

It is a on/off for the EMS. If you have a error code being displayed and flip the switch power will be allowed to by-pass the EMS. In addition I think my display reads "OFF" when the switch is flipped.
You are right - from the EMS website:

"This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled."

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:39 AM   #29
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
oops, double post
Old 01-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #30
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

While the warranty on the portable may only be one year they repaired our 6 yr. old unit free of charge, no questions asked
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #31
milkman
Established Member

M.O.C. #8771
sfnexpress
Thank you, I kind of figured that but the dealer said Keystone told them to put it on the same breaker. Looks like a Spring job.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote