Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Trailer Saver Hitch Height

Now we're down to ordering a Trailer Saver hitch and there are three "Operating Height" specs -- 14", 16" and 17". We will be pulling a 2011 Montana 3400rl with a 2011 Chevy 3500 with 18" wheels. I need to know which hitch height will be appropriate so the trailer is level. Any info would be helpful. This is the last bit of info the dealer needs so we can get our rig on the road.

Thanks.

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I would think the dealer should be able to figure this out.

I thought the operating heights are the range that the hitch head can be raised for when hitching up. The dealer should have the means and experience to calculate the correct setting by evaluating your truck when attached to the trailer then making the necessary adjustment if needed. All this was included in our sales agreement (trailer, truck hitch, sales tax and all adjustments).

It is not as big a deal to adjust the hitch head (unhitch the trailer, then remove and rebolt the hitch head higher or lower). And while adjusting the pin on the trailer is more complicated the dealer should be able to figure this out too. My dealer did all this work for me as was done for my other friends and family with 5ers. In fact, most of us had the dealer install the hitch, too.

If you are not "paying" the dealer to do this, then hopefully someone else has a very similar combination with the numbers you seek.

Please let us know what you find out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

Now we're down to ordering a Trailer Saver hitch and there are three "Operating Height" specs -- 14", 16" and 17". We will be pulling a 2011 Montana 3400rl with a 2011 Chevy 3500 with 18" wheels. I need to know which hitch height will be appropriate so the trailer is level. Any info would be helpful. This is the last bit of info the dealer needs so we can get our rig on the road.

Thanks.
I don't know if anyone addresses this but it depends on the tow vehicle height. When we purchased our TrailerSaver hitch in 2003, the selling vendor measured the distance from the floor of box to the height of my Drawtite hitch which turned out to be 18 inches. So my hitch has a 3-inch riser on each side to which the hitch is mounted. The bolts in the hitch allowed the hitch head to be set at about 18 inches. The main thing you want is a level setup so you may have to experiment.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Walt and Lynne, Between the three adjustments on the king pin hitch on the trailer and the TS hitch itself, you should be able to adjust the height wherever you need it. I did have to buy a "lift kit" for my TS to get the trailer about 6 inches above the bed rails. I may be about an inch high, but not gonna worry about it.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote