Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
"Black Friday"

Well, It finally got here. What a day it was. I stayed in the 5er until about 1200, then went and saw "Old Dogs" (I would say, save your money, wait for the rental video to show up), then went to Wally World for some eats and a packing box. Whoa!!!! What a surprise, empty checkstands and very few shoppers. Maybe they had been there earlier or maybe there are finally better prices other than the nations largest chain store.

However, I bet I know where Bingo and the ladies were last night!!!!

Hope everyone had a great turkey day.

Thanks and: gobble, gobble, gobble!!!

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
In our WM it was very crowded, the parking lot was packed, but they had the all the check out lines open, so it was actually easier shopping today than on a normal day.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I ran to Best Buy to get a black Friday sale item for grandkids. There was a crowd, but it really was not that bad. They had plenty of floor personnel to help, and I didn't wait but 10 minutes in the check out line with 6 checkers working. I was not brave enough to go to the mall, nor did I need anything. My son rode by it and said the parking lot was very full.

Maybe it is a "black" day.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
As Canadians we came down to Minot, ND for Thanksgiving and the black friday experience, our 1st and maybe last ever. At 1st I wasn't thinking of going out especially when a few stores opened at 4am and most by 5am. Well after serious though I decided the DW might need a little assistance at least until the light of day. Well the mall parking lot was 95% full by the time we got there at 6am. We started at JC Penny but after hearing the stories of the crowds at the likes of Best Buy, Wallmart & Target it seems one might want to avoid those spots which we did. After 8 am the early shoppers seemed to head home to bed but then came the second wave of not so early risers, then the after dinner shoppers later. To sum up the experience, "Total Insanity" with people spending like there is no tomorrow. Now IMHO North Dakota is not all that prosperous but it's us crazy Canucks that are now coming down in droves for the deals or perceived deals. Keep in mind right now our dollar is trading at around 95-96 cents to the American dollar when it normally sits around the 75-85 cent mark. Any price difference was normally eaten up by the exchange rate. When one drives thru the full hotel parking lots 90% of the cars have Canadian plates in them. Just for example, I looked at a GM SUV yesterday that prices out at $38,490. in Canada and the exact same here is $32,000 plus a few hundred. When the exchange rate is normally about 20%-25% things even out but right now it would be a bargain. Unfortunately this sudden cross border shopping is REALLY going to hurt any Canadian centres that are within short driving distances to the US border.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Delaine and I don't do Black Friday's... Thanks Phil for the comment on "Old Dogs" we had planned on going today but now we will just watch a Net Flex movie and save about $35.00. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nothing to much out of the ordinary here in this part of Florida. The crowds looked a bit thicker here and there. Went to WM about 1PM and although a bit crowed no trouble in and out. Helen said the Magic Kingdom had the biggest crowd of the year on Thanksgiving day at 58,000. The park holds @86,000 so 58,000 is not anywhere near capacity. Disney reports 4% down on attendance but 7% down on spending for this quarter. Lots of vacancies on the Strip in Kissimmee. This part of the country is still hurting bad. I am thinking this may be a red Friday.. Lots of great bargains tho. I have got my list ready..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:36 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Talked to some of the brave souls that ventured out on Black Friday and they seem to think things went well and lots of money was spent. Our park is 95% full and today there will be many leaving but next week we will be full again. Jan & Feb 2010 there will be no vacancy's until the end of Mar 2010. I agree we have family living in Tampa Florida area and things still aren't back to normal there, my cousin owns a large Beauty Shop, hair, nails, tanning rooms etc. Their business still hasn't returned. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:45 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Black Friday and the day after Christmas are the two worst days in the year to have to go to the store and the two best days of the year to stay home and watch TV. IMHO.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Phil,
I actually got a reprieve on the midnight visit to the Destin outlet mall, but at 4:45 a.m. the next morning (Black Friday) we ventured out and headed to the Wal-Mart at Destin. We could not find a parking spot so had to resort to Plan B!! Plan B was the Office Depot in Mary Esther and we arrived on the scene at 5:15 a.m. and joined a line that I would estiamte to be at about 100. The interesting part of all this is the temperature was a brisk 38 degrees waiting in line. Unexpected to say the least. But Plan B worked, got a laptop and digital camera for the oldest DD and a small flat screen LCD for the youngest. I kinda wished we would have gone to the outlet mall so that I at least could have gotten my forum fix since there is a Panera Bread there that I park beside. Oh well, it may take me a few days to get caught up with everything!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
We had a Black Friday tragedy near here at a shopping center!!!!

The power went out and a blond was stuck on an escalator for 1 1/2 hours!!

Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote