Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Towing Trailer ...

Today we were in Fairhope Ala. visiting friends and there was a Montana, just a guess probably a 2006/2007 model. He was hooked to a 5x8' single axle inclosed type trailer. He transport a Harley and and older Military style Motorcycle. He had a Hidden Hitch installed under the Montana and looked as though it was welded to the frame. The trailer had many different type stickers and I would guess it had been towed several miles. This is just for those who are thinking of towing a trailer for their Scooters. It is being done. GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I would tow a trailer with a bike behind my 2002 3295RK. It is welded to the longitudinal frames and the rear cross member. I think if you were a good welder that should be no problem. Anyone looking for photos of my rear hitch can go to this link with 3 or 4 photos. http://picasaweb.google.com/Drifty1/...40382804913634
Old 11-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had a 2 inch receiver hitch installed by MorRyde. I was told the hitch has a towing weight of 3000 lbs and a tongue weight of 300 lbs. It was also welded on and appears to be very sturdy. Of course, I will not be towing a trailer or vehicle, just a bike rack and two bikes......BUT, I guess I could ir I wanted to, my rig is out of warranty so not concerned about that. Don't be alarmed I would never think of doing that......

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Same here I tow a 6x10 trailer with my golf cart see my sig. 3x3 tubing welded from frame to frame with 2" rec. pulls great and I can just see the tires on the trailer for peace of mind. that is why I built the trailer bed 6' wide. have it locked and safety chained.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Phil I most likely will not be pulling a trailer. I don't think I could legally pull a triple rig in Washington. I figured someone might like to see some photos as there are easy to see on my photo album. Like yourself I will most likely use it for bikes if I can find the best rack for 2 bikes.
Larry in Olympia
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
That it is being done is not the question. The question should be is it being done safely. I have a welder and could weld a hitch on the back of the trailer but that doesn't mean it will safely pull another trailer with cargo. In fact, I question the wisdom of welding on the frame at all if you don't know what your doing. When you weld, metal moves. Because of this, you could end up damaging the frame by warping it. Too many places would hold the hitch up to the frame and weld away. It would be better to weld short beads, alternating trailer sides so you aren't generating too much heat at once on one side. Not many people would take the time to do it that way. You should also disconnect the trailer grounds to avoid damage to electrical appliances.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our 2.5" receiver was done at the factory as a factory option and I actually seen my Frame on line to be built. We do have a 15" frame so I'm not concerned about frame damage. We have been double towing since Sept. and have had no issues. I'm only double towing not triple towing. I will admit I took our 5th wheel to a welding business and had the owner (50 yrs experience) look at out hitch and he said he couldn't see any problems with the Hitch as it was however I did have two more gussets added, he did say that was a feel better addition. It's a 1/2" plate steel on each side of the Receiver. There is basically no tongue weight. I'm very please with how it tows. I have pull doubles (pup trailers) with Class 8 Trucks, and had triple indorsements on my Class A CDL lic. GBY..................
Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Delaine, you have a SOB trailer. Keystone only recently started offering a hitch and it is not rated very high - something like 200# weight. Their reason for adding it was for people to use it for bike racks. The basic design of the Montana makes adding a solid hitch difficult, not only because of the 70" frame width, but also because the frame ends about a foot from the actual end of the trailer. I am not saying a hitch can't be added that would be safe, I'm just saying there are things to take into consideration that require special workarounds.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree Tom with what you posted but if you do there should be a lot of research done and spend the money to install the safest equipment possible. Double towing is not for everyone. If we can't double we would or will have to go to a Motorhome because with Delaine's eye situation I just don't want her driving for extended time. As for driving she would have no problem driving the Freightliner. GBY....
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the same receiver hitch designed and installed by Mor Ryde. It is a sturdy hitch but for us double towing is out of the question with the Montana or any other brand. Applies to us only..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There is no doubt in my mind that Montana or the maker of their frames could make a hitch that would be suitable to tow something in the 4,000lb range - but - I bet the cost would probably be prohibitive to make it worth while. When I say cost prohibitive, I mean they would have to charge so much, most people wouldn't buy it.

The ideal set up would be one mounted to the end of the frame with the receiver sticking out an opening in the fiberglass (with a removable panel like many vehicles now have to hide it when not in use). Adding it on to the bottom of the frame just gives something extra to drag in bad situations, IMHO.

EDIT: Of course such a hitch would put 90% of us over the recommended GCVWR.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

There is no doubt in my mind that Montana or the maker of their frames could make a hitch that would be suitable to tow something in the 4,000lb range - but - I bet the cost would probably be prohibitive to make it worth while.
I agree 100%, the key word being "could." Since Keystone says don't tow anything behind these things (at least my model/year) they don't make one yet that is strong enough to pull anything. Like Richfaa, I would not even consider it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote