Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The time, the place, the date

Two week prior to March 17, 1961, I was walking out the gate of Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California, around eating time. A young, 19 year old, Marine. Walking in front of me and getting hassled by the gate sentry was a Beautiful American Marine (BAM) (She told me what BAM stands for). Of course, I could not resist in assisting the gate guard in his comical attack on her. Being me, and with the ice broken, asked where she was going. A pizza joint was her answer. Well of course I had to ask if I could accompany her. My intentions were completely honorable I want you to know. I'm not going into details here on eating pizza, or any of the conversation that took place. I still remember how to eat pizza, but the conversation eludes me.

Anyhow, two weeks later on March 17, 1961, we were married. To this day I don't know how I stayed with her this long. Er! Ah! Oh! It's her who stayed with me 48 years - I just forget sometimes but get reminded occasionally.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Happy Anniversary, That Quite A Story
Ron & Rose
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Congratulations to both of you!
48 years is a hell of a long time,my wife and I have so far reached 43 years. I'll have to give her all the credit!
Jack & Terry
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Wow! That's a long time putting up with your stories -
We just made 25 years last year.
Way to go Mrs. Waynem!!
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Jack,

Ha ha! The first time through, I read that as "48 years of hell is a long time"! I had a double-take moment there, and had to read it again.

On one of our anniversaries, I toasted, "I would like to thank my beautiful wife for 19 of the most wonderful years of my life." It took everybody a second or two before they realized, hey, this is their 25th anniversary party! It got some pretty good chuckles from the crowd.

We're going on 31 years in September, and every one of them has been terrific.

Congratulations to Wayne and his wife on their 48th!

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Congratulations on your 48 years of bliss. I have always said "Happiness is being married to your best friend." I bet if she did not out rank you when you got married, she does now!!!

Have a great evening.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm just a retired Master Sergeant. She is CinCHouse! (Commander In Chief, House - for those not in the military jargon mode.)

Thank you all for the words - kind, or otherwise in fun.

I never looked it it as her having to put up with MY stories. Good point that I am sure she would agree with. She does not get on this forum so what I tell her is what she understands is on the forum. Ha Ha!!!!

I just might stick around for the 50th. I understand there are presents.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Sorry about being a day late but 48 years needs to be celebrated. A big congratulations to you both.

We live just up the Gulf Freeway a piece. Possibly we will meet one day.

alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Al and Audrey,
Give a holler when you are going out and about. JimF (Jim and Joan) have left the area, and DriftwoodGal (Coleen and Bob) are departing the middle of April so the MOC'ers in this area will have departed - for awhile. We are always up to meeting new people.
409-948-6843

Editied: However - no tell!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Wayne,

It was nice of you to invite us to your anniversary celebration at Las Brisas. I didn't catch the short courtship story before we met you guys.

We will be leaving before April 15th as we have to sign the taxes and get them to IRS. Hopefully, we can get in a couple more games of Mexican Dominoes and or Sequence before we leave.

Give us a call when you guys are free.

You also know that you have a standing invitation to park your rig on top of the hill next to the house. We have water and a clean out on our sewer so you could dump, we might have to combine a couple of hoses. Also have water that we can run to your rig. So no excuses unless you don't want to run the generator.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
What! No Electricity!
Give me a shout when the pad is complete.

Just kidding.

We have ALSO changed plans somewhat and will be leaving the middle to the end of April for a "ride-a-bout." (Just finished watching Australia.) Heading over to Florida, then DW wants to see Paula Deans place in Savannahhhh! Up to Quantico, then New England, then the Great Lakes and then back home. Of course ALL OF THAT is subject to change. At least my Son and DIL will have the stick house to stay in.

Will give you a shout for games before you go, but you can shout also!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Congratulations!
May you two have many more years together as well.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Doh... I was just in San Diego a few weeks ago and was reading your story and didn't pay attention to the date. I started thinking, what a PERV since my mind is on 2009, until I finished reading. Imagine my embarassment. Wait a minute, you never mentioned YOUR age. Oh never mind, Way to go!!!

Congratulations on your long marriage! I am sure her Marine training to adapt, overcome, improvise, etc. has helped both of you easily get to this point.

My wife and I have about 14 years to catch you and we weren't Marines, but the second best thing - we're tax-payers. I hope we make it.

Two more years for you and it's the big 5 oh. Bon Chance!

Regards,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote