Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2006, 06:24 AM   #21
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bpierce,

Your 50-amp service is a 220 volt connection. I have talked to an electrician about the "cheater" and found there is nothing wrong with them. A 220 volt line is basically two hot 110 lines with a common neutral and a ground. The "cheater" simply takes two 110 lines and creates a 220 volt type service to you converter. Since I am not an electrician, my explanation may be off a bit technically, but that is the idea.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #22
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I’ll guess that Walmart is aware of the Baby Boomers.

And Baby Boomers are getting into RVing big time, as we are pretty much aware. (We’re a Boomer couple.)

Not all Wally Worlds will have the selection the lucky folks have at their disposal. But I do walk through the half-aisle full in Ozark, Alabama, and the larger selection in Dothan, Alabama, and see some things I didn’t expect. The power adapters being one surprise feature.

As long as the stuff moves, I bet Walmart keeps stocking it. There will be, of course, periods of “drought” between orders, as there may be with much of their stock. But their inventory computers are pretty smart, and tend to be a step ahead of empty shelves.

Since power cords and adapters must pass inspections, I’m guessing that none of them would be too much behind anything at CW, or RV shops in general. Features might differ. If a pull handle is on an adapter, for instance, the one from Walmart might be a little more brittle than one from CW say, if you have vastly differing temperatures in your range of camping sites. I know some hoses I paid good money for did well when exposed to winter temps, while cheaper ones, (often with the handy large “nut” at the end to help tighten them more,) seemed to start cracking at low temps fairly soon. We all get what we pay for. But I doubt safety can be sacrificed in materials dealing with either electricity or propane.

I love shopping at Wally World. As long as features are there, and prices are low, I’ll go with Walmart, over CW, every time.

Now, if only Walmart would stock RV air conditioners….

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #23
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Bryan,

Van Man was correct. I measured the open areas on the sides of our TV, and checked the size of the mountain scene toward the rear of our 3475, and found they were a good match. I had my dealer order those specific graphics, and had Auto Trim Design put them on, (so there’d be no bubbles.) The rest is history….

Dealers should be able to order any graphics on any Keystone product, providing they’re still in stock at Keystone. (There are parts breakdown manuals for graphics.) I’m guessing that some of the very old rigs’ graphics might not be available.

----

As for the questions about “Cheater Cords” or adapters, this website http://www.myrv.us/electric/ gives some great insight into the whole power issue.

It’s unlikely that you’d get 220V from using a 30A and 20A cheater, unless the two receptacles are being fed by two separate phases at the site’s main breaker box. But you’d bet up to 30A of service, at 110V, at least.

Besides, the Monty doesn’t use 220V for anything, so far. Some RVs keep the two phases together for some power needs the bigger rigs might want. But in a Monty, so far, they use toe two separate 110V leads for the various 110V receptacles’ and appliances’ power.

If you can buy a “Cheater Cord,” or adapter from somewhere, (not a guy working out of the trunk of his car,) you’ll be OK with one. Just don’t expect miracles.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's possible, Carol. I know though that they cleared an unusual amount of space in the store (this is a 24 hr new Super Walmart, BTW) for all this camper supplies. The 50 to 30 amp adapater was way under CW's price. They also had the bigger 5/8" white hoses, which I had never seen before - I had only seen the 1/2" ones in these discount chains previously. Also the "high end" expensive sewer hoses were a surprise.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote