Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
owenwetzel
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3344
Holding Tanks

Got a question. My galley and grey tanks have developed leaks where the 3in to 2in reducer at tank and drain valve. I used an epoxy kit for tank repair on galley tank in Nov.. Since then we moved.
Both tanks only leak when almost full. What is the best way to fix them?

owenwetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:01 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I saw that a bunch of folks read your post and moved on. I assume that means they don't know how to answer. Well, I don't either; however, if it were my problem, I might try finding and becoming friendly with an RV repair guy and ask some questions. Now I ain't a talkin' 'bout the service writer--you need a real fix-it person. You know, someone who knows what the cornbread he's talkin' about. Hope someone comes along who can really give a lot better advice. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
I would try epoxy glues that they use with PVC pipe. Thats what they used in our home when they built it. We have some acids in our water that will eat pinholes in regular schedule 40 copper tubing after 10-14 years. If that doen't work, try GOOP(plumbers). I have used that on one of our boats windows in the cabin and also around one of our showers in the house. It works every time. You can get it at Home Depot,Lowes or any hardware store. I used the plumbers version. Let it dry for 24 hours. I hope this helps..............
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I would also suggest plumber's Goop. (basicly synthetic rubber disolved in a chlorinated solvent - when the solvent evaporates, you are left with a tough rubber material) We used the industrial version where I used to work. It is very tough and has some flexibility.

Isocyanate-based glues, (like Gorilla glue) may also be a good bet.

Both of these are somewhat hazardous, so use with adequate ventilation, and keep off your skin.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We had the same problem with our galley tank. It would only leak when almost full. I removed the tank and filled it with water 3 times before i found the leak. It was a split in the radius next to the flange that holds the tank up.Real hard to see the split. We picked up the tank when full of water, before we could find the leak. Ordered a new tank but it came in to late as we had a trip planned. We went to the plumbing shop and got a 2 part epoxy they recommend. It worked real good so far. That has been 8 months now. Also you may want to install a brace across the bottom of the tank to reinforce it. It is held in place by the 2 flanges on the tank. Real poor design on their part.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Larry,

I have been trying to repair the leaks in my black and gray water tanks for two weeks. They leak at the top like the others have said. I first used a marine epoxy. Filled the tanks and they leaked. Then tried fiberglass. filled the tanks and they leaked.

Took note this time of the way the belly of the tanks sagged and looked like they would burst when full. So your idea of a "brace" caught my attention. I had this thought yesterday but not sure how to brace it. I'm thinking front to back across both tanks with treated wood. But really not sure.

After taking a good look at things yesterday, I can tell that no amount of glue or patching is going to keep these tanks from leaking until there is a support under them. The stress is too great when the tanks begin to sag.

Just a note. I discovered these leaks a few weeks ago. I had headed off to Disney, leaving Miss Montana home, when I said to myself, "Oh, I forgot to drain the tanks". I knew I had let them get "fuller" than usual. On my return home, I was greeted by the distressed looked of park neighbors, saying, "BJ, I think you have a problem". Oh, the smell!

I had to take the belly and the Artic Package? down and get serious with bleach. It was not pretty, I tell ya. But now that things are cleaned up I want to be sure these tanks are not going to leak before I put the insulation and belly back up.

Any suggestions on how to brace them would be appreciated.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
fla native

On ours where the leak is you need to drill a small hole on each end of the crack to keep it from getting longer. We braced them from side to side and not front to back.I went down the center of the tank.The brace will be on a angle because the tank has a slope to it. I had some 2" angle iron that i made 2 clips out of, They were attached to the frame.We took a 2x4 and installed some rubber striping on the wood to cushion it from rubbing a hole in the tank. We used self-tapping screws to hold the wood to the clips and the clips to the frame. It is easier to repair the tank if you take it out. We let ours set for 24 hours before we used it. The epoxy we used was slow setting so you had time to work with it. If you want me to i will try to find out what the name of it is.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #8
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks,

Taking the tank out seems to be a big job. I would sure like to fix them without resorting to that.

I'm off to work. I'll check back later.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:37 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Stiles, that's a new one for me, "what the cornbread he's talking about". Love it! Sorry, guys, I don't know anything about plumbing....
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
fla native

Taking the tanks out you will have to cut the lines to the top of the tanks to remove them.The reason I took ours out was so I could build up the area @1/4" to reinforce the area of the leak. You have to be careful not to build up the flange area where it slides into the slot that holds the tank in place.One brace is screwed into the frame. drop it and you can slide the tank out of the slot holding it.You got the hardest part done removing the belly cover. One person can do it, but easier for 2 people. The lines i cut i installed rubber boots to hold the lines together.That was on the galley tank. The black tank looks like you could unscrew the big line. the vent line you would have to cut.They asked us $500 to remove and replace the tank. The tank cost me @200 with new lines and valves. Hope this helps you out. If you have more questions feel free to ask. I will try to give you more info.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Larry and Roma,
It sounds like we have the same problem! Our gray water tank is leaking when it gets full! Must be cracked up on the top somewhere. Sure not happy to hear they want so much to take care of that. Was the $500 for all the tanks?

The new tank was $200? Was that from the dealer?

Thanks for the info.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
HamRad
it was a local RV repair shop. he has done some work for keystone. He called a keystone dealer for the tank. $200 was just for the galley tank and section of line, fittings and new valves. The rest was for labor. he quoted @5 1/2 hours labor. The crack is real hart to see in place.That is why i removed the tank. It was in the corner above the drain line. If you drop the belly cover and fill the tank up you may see it. ours didn't do it all the time.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:43 AM   #13
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Looks like my holding tanks are leak free. It took awhile, but with the help of a friend we got it done.

We ended up using fiberglass fabric with the glue that comes in the kit. It took a lot time and it took a lot of filling the tanks, draining the tanks and adding more adhesive until we stopped the leaks. We also added two boards screwed into the frame to support the tanks. I stapled a cut up "plush" towel to the part of boards up against the tanks.

I don't think if we had braced the tanks we would have been very successful in stopping the leaks. Shame on Keystone for this very poor design. Full tanks sag and pull away from where they are connected to the drain pipe coming out of the unit causing the tanks to form cracks at the top of them. I will be very cautious about letting my tanks get "full" again as long as I'm hooked up to sewer. I will let the black tank accumulate some, but not Full. I don't ever want to go through this again.

I took some pics with my new Christmas digital but I have not yet created a site for viewing photos. When they are viewable I will post.

The couple in the Montana across from me noticed "the smell" yesterday on their unit and discovered their black tank is leaking now. I think they are planning on heading back to the dealer with it.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There have been several post about cracked or leaky tanks.We noted on our factory tour that the tanks are mounted in exactly the same way as the tanks in our 1996 Terry TT and we never in 10 years of use had a problem.Wonder if the quality of holding tanks have gone down..Additional support for the tanks are on our to do list..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
fla native, an easy to use internet site for your photos is blogspot. It's free. If you download Picasa2 you'll find a great program for handling your photos and publishing them to blogspot. Also free, just click, click. My kind of program. We used it for our Alaska trip and you can get there by clicking the link in my signature if you want to take a look.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
After reading of the tank "fix" costs I decided to call the dealer and get an estimate. They indicated cost would be about 500 to 800! Wow! My brother and I will be working on the tank ourselves. Sure hope we can get it done relatively easily.

While we're fixing the broken tank we'll do the extra bracing for all of the tanks.

Fla Native sure wish you could get those pics posted soon. Or maybe you can email them to me? And anyone else..... if you have pictures I'd appreciate seeing them.

Larry and Roma thanks for the info.

HamRad
Old 01-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #17
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
HamRam,

I would be happy to email them. I download them to my computer this morning and get back to you.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:44 AM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
BJ,
Thank you for the photos. I've emailed a response. I'll post a couple of the photos on my PictureTrail site within the next couple of days.

Good luck.

Dennis
Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have a similar leak in the gray shower tank. This is coming not from the fresh water drain valve but from the hole in the belly through which the drain hose exits the belly.

In case it's not real clear, that's an icicle, not a stream of water.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote