Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Doug and Anita
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3321
artic package

The underbelly artic package is great unless you have an ongoing problem with leaking tanks. I am tempted to remove the underbelly board so that I can easily get to the tanks and valves to repair or replace when necessary. I live in my Monty fulltime and work fulltime in the Texas Hill Country and it does not freeze below 25 degrees often and then for only an hour or two. I will not get on the road for another 3-4 years and plan on getting a new unit then. Is there any reason not to remove the board

Doug and Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Keep critters out?? Also, it does help keep some of that Texas heat from radiating INTO the belly area.

I am sure there are other ideas on this, and, seems to me that I remember some one saying you could buy replacement stuff?? somewhere?? Lowes?? and they even had a product name.

You could try a search, but, the info may be buried in the archives???

well, what a lot of help this post is!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
By boards do you mean the plastic underbelly covers held on with a bazillion screws?

I have heard the other benefit to the coverings is that it helps with air movement under the trailer while underway besides helping with weather insulation. Apparently without the coverings there is a tendency for the underside to get debris and dirt under everything. And it's also to seal out bugs and rodents when most of it is covered.

Maybe there's a way to hinge the underbelly coverings (make sure the hinges are on toward the front of the rig and the fasteners face to the rear. Aerodynamically that just sounds better). Sounds like a lot of work especially with problematic tanks.

Sounds like the best solution is to fix the tanks once and for all. Or leave off the covers until you get rid of the unit.

Happy camping,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote