Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
travelRN
Established Member

M.O.C. #9960
Hi from a future traveler

Hi all Names are Tom and Becky
Bought our Christmas gift. 2010 Hickory Edition Moving to Montana Fifth wheel. We just sold the 20 foot tongue pull. We are in the process of readying our stick house for sale. Hopefully we will be full timers in a year. We own land in Minnesota and we are going to make it our home base. But only be there during the warm months. As for the tow vehicle...... well, we got the cart before the horse. Now we are trying to decide on which truck to buy. I am so happy to buy our dream home.

travelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I hope I'm the first to welcome you to the MOC. I think you'll find it absolutely indispensible, and the people wonderful, knowledgeable friends.

We did the same cart before the horse with our first 5th wheel, and after researching all the options and available tow vehicles, I decided on an HDT, an over the road Volvo tractor. Now, I must admit, I have special requirements for the tow vehicle, and not everyone (very few, in fact) feel quite the same about it as I. But I thought I might get a plug in for the HDT/MDT crowd before you get swamped with all the fine choices of pickups that are on the market today.

Get actively involved with the forum, and you'll find out just about everything you'll need to know about your Montana and your tow vehicle.

Bob

firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tom & Becky, Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!!!". I would like to do what firetrucker does, but I do a lot of driving without my trailer and can't see myself driving a MDT or HDT in most cities. An option would be the larger truck with a ramp to load a Smart car, but we find that's too small. I think a great choice for the bigger 5th wheels would be a Chevy Kodiak or a Ford 450 or 550 with a hauler bed. I would venture to say that a lot of one ton drivers are actually overweight with the larger Montanas. Work your numbers with each truck you look at and make an informed choice. I guess the saying "bigger is better" comes into play here also. Whatever you decide, once you make the choice, don't second guess yourself, just enjoy the time you have together......

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hi there Tom and Becky. I don't know what model Montana you bought so will not put my two cents worth here on your truck choice, but at fulltimers that lived in Minnesota for over 60 yrs we would like to welcome you to your new family. We look forward to meeting you along the way.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum. As is all of life, full timing is full of challenges and opportunities. We have enjoyed the lifestyle to this point. We have seen a lot and done a lot that we have always wanted to see and do. Happy RVing.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
itaves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8637
Welcome to The Forum. Your story sounds a lot like ours. We just joined the ranks of fulltimers this past fall and are enjoying our first winter in Florida in our Montana. Best of luck in selling the house...and enjoy your new rig!! Hope to meet you along the way...safe travels!!
itaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Welcome to the forum.

You said your going to sell the stick house and full time.
Sounds like you will most likely load that puppy down.(Weight)
IMO i would at least get a dully. Ford/Chev/Dodge, what ever your choice, but sure would not go any smaller. Starting out three years ago from a dead start and what i have since learned, i would have done the MDT thing with a smart car. If your not going to put many miles on, as in head to Florida or Texas for the winters, then back home to Minnesota the spring, just do the dually and you'll be in the right ball park.
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Welcome Tom & Becky Glad to have you on the best rv net around , as for your truck not sure what you have but one of the big 3 one ton will do fine iam sure......
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Congratulations on your new Montana and we hope you have many happy days in it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Welcome aboard, this is a great forum. You will enjoy the amount of information there is to digest on this forum. I got my truck with anticipation of having an adequate tow vehicle for our Monty. I must say that I’m somewhat disappointed with the numbers when I look at them. Although our truck does fine with towing our camper; I would rather see a higher GCVWR than what I seem to have of 20,000 lbs. My advice would be sure and check out the weight ratings and make certain it’s well within the designed weight limits for what you want. Sounds like you have a nice camper. I hope you get many years of camping from it as well. Perhaps we'll meet up on the road sometime!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will be happy with your new "Dream Home" on wheels. There are a lot of us out here to help you should you ever need assistance. Enjoy your new lifestyle.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #12
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Welcome to the forum ! My wife and I are newbies too. In fact, last weekend was our " shake down" cruise too a local State Park. this forum is a big reason we chose Montana over the others. You will have thousands of hours of experience at your beck and call. Whatever happens to you , or is in your plans, has probably been handled by someone here. Welcome and Happy Trails !
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote