Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #21
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
It happened to me but not like that, I removed the chocks then hooked up, normally I set the pin so it just slides into the table, but the one time it lifted and it rolled off the leveling blocks under the wheels, results? one bent street side leg, cost? I cant remember, but it was a easy fix. Motto Dont remove them chocks untill hooked up, and front lifts are retracted. now its the very last thing I do.
As Glen says "CHOCKS" on them wheels or it will cost you.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:05 AM   #22
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
OK one of my silly questions: We have a pullrite hitch. Does one need a bed saver and if so how is it fitted to the hitch as its nothing like the ordinary hitches? Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe the Bed Saver has a special "PullRite" adapter for the Bed Saver to fit onto this particular hitch. Not sure of the price though, Diana.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #24
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Diana, I feel if you are attentive to your hitching process a bed saver on a Pullrite is totally unnecessary. Unlike the clam shell locking mechanisms on most other hitches the "positive" locking device on the Pullrite hitches cannot slip open once locked in place. About the only way to have a bad hitch up with a Pullrite is a high hitch which Carol can tell you all about.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #25
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
YEP, and we knew it IMMEDIATELY! It did not sound right, NOR look right. Taking no chances we unhooked, and redid the entire procedure. No problem the second attempt. This was the only occurance we have had, but it was a good reminder for us, PAY ATTENTION with your ears and your eyes! And, even tho we know Glenn does not do it, we do, pull test. Probably not necessary, but it puts us in a "comfort zone" knowing we have done so. Maybe when we get to be pros at this we won't do the pull test - - - - NAHHHH, think we will probably ALWAYS do one.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #26
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
It all has to do with the wheel chocks, four wheels, four chocks.I have always used four with all my trailers. I like it now with the 5vr. Two in the front of the front wheels,and two in back of the rear wheels. Most of the drops come from the unhitch and hitch up. I also think some folks get in the hurry up mode which also can cause problems.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Accidents happen when you least expect them..That is why they are called accidents.Considering the damage a drop can do to the TV and maybe the camper the bedsaver is cheap insurance.Now I of course will never make a mistake..I check and double check everything, 2 chocks on every wheel. a oversight or mistake can not happen... Helen however had a bedsaver installed on the hitch..Unnecessary but I can live with it?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #28
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I really like this discussion as my wife and I were talking about the exact same thing re: blocks. My thought was, as some others have expressed, that the shorter the extension on the front landing gear, the more stable they would be.

After much thought about this issue, I went ahead and purchased JT's stabilizer bars for the front for $500. Here are the links to some pictures:

http://jtrv.com/images/100_0030_spot.jpg

http://jtrv.com/images/100_0054.jpg

I am intending to install on our next trip, this weekend and will post the results if anyone is interested.

As for the pullrite hitch and bedsaver, I have both, and high-hitched (on our very first trip out). As a novice, I didn't know exactly what I was looking for or at. Now that I know about the hooking mechanism, I grabbed some of my wife's red nail polish and painted the mechanism red in the closed position. Now, if I see red, I am happy!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #29
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks Michael, You have tweak my interest into these stabilizers. I will definitely be looking into them.
In the mean time I have added http://jtrv.com/ to the RV Related Links page.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #30
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Blocks under some of the landing gear is OK, But at least one of the four points ( front or back ) should be on the ground.
You need to ground your unit. ( for electricity ). I find a 6"h x 12" X 12" under the rear gear keep the trailer from wiggling around as bad as it does without any blocks. And agree chocks are a must, goes without saying.
J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #31
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I discovered that you REALLY do need to remember to pull those plastic chocks..... I used to have 4... forgot to pull one in front, and a 13,000 # monty will pancake one Just LIke THAT!!!
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #32
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Mike,

Thanks for the link. If I ever order my 3400 I will put those on my list and have the factory install them.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #33
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Slightly off topic, but why is it that the camper you have been parked next to for a week only wants to have a long conversation when you are trying to hookup? Seems like the only time one or the other of us forgets something on our mental checklists is when someone wants to chat. Think we would all do each other a favor if we said our goodbyes before our neighbors try to get underway---just wave when we leave and we'll do the same. Have been in some CGs where they require that you put down blocks for your landing gear and stabilizers.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #34
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We have noticed the visitation at hookup phenonomen for YEARS!! If you are in a place where you must go dump (no full hookups), then it can get even more friendly. Something about dumping your waste materials freeing up the soul as well, and the visitation begins!

we have a name for this:

BONDING AT THE DUMP!

Has been a family joke (including some our bestest friends and camping buds) for YEARS!!!!!!!!!

Heavens, we have even had the

RACE TO THE DUMP!

Long story, one of those times it paid off for me to be able to drive the rig, as I pulled it out while Al jogged up and jumped in the passenger side door. We won, no prizes, just lots of laughter and good memories.

We are older and wiser now and would NOT race these days.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #35
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Chocking the wheels is the only way to go. This alleviates any possibility of roll by the Montana. I use Roto-Choks which really give positive grip on the wheels.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #36
weisenberger
Established Member

M.O.C. #5752
You never know when it will happen, but it will. It happened to me, lucky a full cooler saved my bed rails. I have set up a lot of times but this day was different I had a bad head cold and my thinking was not up to par. I had just choked the wheels and put the landing gear down and pulled the locking pin on the hitch and pulled the bar out so I could move the truck and finish leveling the unit. When my wife wants me to pull foward for some reason (not sure now) so with my head in a fuzz from my head cold I put the landing gear up some (again not thinking to raise only a liitle off the ground)I pulled the chocks and jumped in the truck and started to pull away when all I heard was a few bangs and I thought what was that. The king pin was resting on the cooler and the back corner of the fifth wheel hitch was on the tailgate rail. Was I Lucky. I do recommened chocking wheels front and back and when you hook up to leave make sure your hitch pins are in and secure and do a pull test before raising landing gear all the way up. One other thing I do is if we stop for food or we are away from the camper for any amount of time is to check the hitch pin and hitch bar to make sure its still secure I have talked to some people that have came back to their truck and someone has removed the pin and raised the lock bar.
weisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #37
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by weisenberger

I have talked to some people that have came back to their truck and someone has removed the pin and raised the lock bar.
Welcome weisenberger to the ever growing MOC family.

You know if I've heard the above once I've heard it a hundred times and yet I have never met anyone who claimed it actually happened to them personally. Usually it was one of those my neighbor's father said that his best friend's brother's father-in-law's uncle said ..... At least you were getting first hand information.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #38
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Regarding JT Stabilizers, I must say that they madea HUGE difference. I purchased the 5th Wheel version and it came with a set for the rear jacks, too. So, total price of $500.

I will post some pics on Improvements page.

I recommend this product.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #39
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I would never hook up my unit without wheel chocks. They are on my check list.
I agree that high blocking will help make your unit more stable but I never high block and if I were high blocked years back when an earthquake hit our campground in Chula Vista, California, no doubt in my mind, the Fiver would have shook off the blocks. I live and camp in earthquake zones, no high blocking for me. I am happy with the stability I get with my front Tripod and my front landing gear down on two inch boards.

On bedsavers, I have Highjacker Hitch I have had for 10 years. I can see the big flat bar slide behind the pin. I check it with a flashlight because in the shadows it is hard to see. I go over my checklist on hitching at least 3 times and I know all about the guy who has had a week to be friendly ,but all of the sudden he sees you are leaving and this is his last chance to talk to you so over he comes while you are hooking up.
I am a friendly guy and I like people a lot. I have as long a visit as time permits and then my rule is BACK TO THE CHECKLIST. My Wife also checks the hitch and she knows what to look for.
I never move the unit without getting down and making sure the unit has no landing gear down, no lines or hoses attached. Would I bet my life I will never screw up and damage my rig?
Of course not. To error is human , to forgive devine. But I would never forgive a hitch manufacturer that would design a hitch that requires a test pull to see if the pin was captured. This poor design has made a lot of money for the guy that makes the bedsaver. I have been pulling Fifth Wheels for 20 years and I will never own a bedsaver because I buy hitches that show you when they have captured the pin and I don't see too many bedsavers on commercial
Ffth wheel set ups.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote