Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #21
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
As a fellow 3791RD owner, I thought I'd repost our experiences so far. Some general info and lessons learned. Hopefully, you can avoid the issues we encountered!!

We picked ours up in April, 2015 and love it. We've taken it from PA to the Nashville area twice, to DC, to Niagara Falls, Quebec, and to St Pete, FL for a week of spring training and many weekend trips. No issues so far with towing. Love the engine braking. Have over 80,000 miles on the 3500HD and still have original brake pads on the truck.

It's big. No doubt about that. Am still getting used to backing up a 42' 5er. (We had a 32' TT and a 19' TT before that.)

1.) Outside Storage:
We keep everything (I mean everything) in the rear storage with the exception of the grill, the propane tank for the grill, the vacuum attachments, a broom and swiffer to wet mop the vinyl floor.

2.) Inside Storage
The cabinets in the den are shallower than what we've had in our Cougar TT and we had overhead storage over the sofa and dinette in the past BUT the storage in the kitchen (the "hutch" especially) and the cabinets under the theater seating are more than enough. We have plenty of unused storage space right now. Pantry closet is great. Large/residential fridge is excellent - especially the ice maker. I wasn't expecting an ice maker but it really has been handy. Storage in the bedroom is great but that's partly because we don't have nor plan to have a washer/dryer up there. We use the shelves on the side of the closet for some storage. I'd estimate we use 60% of the storage there routinely. The hamper is great. The chest of drawers is moderate size but no issue putting stuff in the closet instead.

3.) What to watch for
As with any RV you need to watch the cabinet doors when opening the slides. That's especially true in this unit. There are 6 doors to check before opening slides.

a.) Open dinette first. Let table extend and the fridge side will slide slightly. Check on both sides of the fridge slide before opening fully. One our first night on the way back from the dealer in Vermont, we crushed the door and bent the hinges of the door immediately next to the fridge/under the theater seats. The one next to the oven will open too. For now we I thread a bungie cord thru the 3 doors under the theater seating and they now stay closed. Intention is for DW to make a strap (covered in fabric) with clips to secure these doors. Had to purchase a new cabinet door and hinges but the cost was about $100 and I had the replacements within 10 days from the dealer/Keystone. They just drop shipped them to me. Easy install.

b.) BTW.....we put a pillow between the oven, the door under the oven and the doors on the island when towing. Those can open and bang against one another. Silly I know....but it's routine for us now. Have to be careful pulling the pillow out. The sharp metal edge of the oven will tear the pillow cover. (Yes, we learned the hard way.) At least it's easy to tell which pillow we use for this. Just look for the tears.

c.) Once the kitchen slides are out....slide each sofa out slightly. That will give you enough room to go up there and confirm the cabinet doors on each side are still closed. Never had one open but the time I dont check will be the time I'll crush some.

d.) Also now use a bungie to keep the two pantry doors closed during travel. They started to open.

4.) Theater Seating.
Yes...it's tight there but the seats do recline OK. I use the seat next to the steps often. DW uses the other seat from time to time. No issues there so far.

5.) Sofa Beds
So far...so good. That's a tight fit too but it works. When we open both at the same time, we have to raise both sides together and form a V and ease them down simultaneously to have both beds open together. We use a foam topper on one of them for my daughter - not crazy about carrying it around when she camps with us but you do anything for your daughters....even when they are in their 30's.

6.) It's big!
It takes 1-2 hrs to wash and dry it. Closer to 2 but I take an 8' ladder around it and wipe it down to dry it off. Geez...that's a tall rig!

I purchased a 50a to 30a pigtail and an extension cord "just in case" before we took delivery. Turns out we've used them OFTEN. Highly recommend getting them!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-Ex...ilpage_o07_s00

Indicators on the gray tanks work fine. Black tank indicator always reads 3/4 full when empty. That's normal for any RV I guess. Still dealing with getting that piece of tissue (I'm assuming) off that sensor. Tank handles in the convenience center pull hard. Am putting a bottle of tank valve lube in at the end of this trip. Have heard that works wonders.

BE CAREFUL: I can't tell you how many times the DW or me (more often me) leave the cabinet door open to the control center (lights, etc.) inside. I've banged my head pretty seriously several times. I've got to figure something out there. That's dangerous. Just be careful..... it's easy to turn around and head up the stairs when that door's open, not notice it, and wham!!

The day/night shades in den are great. They are not in the bedroom....who knows why. Light streams through bedroom shades. Am planning to purchase from MCD and install myself.

Check all of the light switches when taking delivery. We did and noticed the driver's side and Opposite Driver's Side scare lights were flipped when connected to the switches. Easy fix for the dealer but flipped at the factory.

We put a Progressive Industries surge protector in the rig. It has already saved us. Camped at a site with a missing ground when under load. Everything would have been fried w/out it. That was within the first month after delivery. Use a good surge protector. I have had excellent support over the years from Progressive Industries.

The king bed that came with the rig was used for the 2015 season with a memory foam topper. AWFUL!! I replaced the bed platform to make it wider to support a sleep number bed. MUCH BETTER! Camping World usually has great deals (I mean great deals) on SN beds over the winter.

Bathroom cabinet does stick out over the sink. You'll hear about this from owners of other models too. It is what it is. I don't really care that much. I really appreciate so many of the other features to let that bother me. There is a lot of storage in the bathroom BTW. The cabinet has 3 ample shelves. The cabinets next to the toilet are deep and hold a lot!

We added the Legacy Pkg (upgraded suspension, heated bath and BR floors among other things), double pane windows (much quieter), and upgraded the tires and had keystone put the slide toppers on. We had vent covers put on by the dealer.

We use a Hensley TrailerSaver hitch and a Blue Ox Bed Saver (just in case).

I HIGHLY recommend the 3791RD - without reservation!

Additional items since 2015:

1.) I took thread lock to the ceiling fan screws. Had a blade fall off in travel. Did the same to the nut holding on the kitchen light diffuser. That diffuser never wanted to stay on. It always worked its way off.

2.) I replaced the single 12v battery with 2 Trojan T145 batteries. (Details of this upgrade posted with pics and materials on the forum.) Increase in power is amazing. Slides go in/out much brisker now. Level Up works ever time I go pick up the camper. Had issues with low voltage just hooking up with the single 12v battery.

3.) Did the sleep number upgrade in late Feb, 2016 before the trip to the Phillies spring training camp for a week in March. SN bed is the best improvement. The original bed was truly junk. Putting a topper on it made it tolerable I guess but it was like a marshmallow. Really bad but couldn't spring for a full price SN. They typically go on sale at CW over the winter after Thanksgiving.

4.) We had the valence (with the MCD shade) over the dinette fall off during travel to Quebec on very bumpy roads. Only held to "drywall" by short metal screws (3 I think). Was only a matter of time before it fell off. Used very short wall anchors and secured it in more places. Very secure now. Also have had issues with the bottom curtain brackets coming out of the walls at the front going to the bath/bed area and rear den steps. You just brush against them so often going up/down the steps. Again, anchors and screws (short!) fixes this.

5.) DW made a strap and a fabric sleeve for the strap with buckles to secure the dinette chairs. Works well.

chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #22
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chris199

As a fellow 3791RD owner, I thought I'd repost our experiences so far. Some general info and lessons learned. Hopefully, you can avoid the issues we encountered!!

We picked ours up in April, 2015 and love it. We've taken it from PA to the Nashville area twice, to DC, to Niagara Falls, Quebec, and to St Pete, FL for a week of spring training and many weekend trips. No issues so far with towing. Love the engine braking. Have over 80,000 miles on the 3500HD and still have original brake pads on the truck.

It's big. No doubt about that. Am still getting used to backing up a 42' 5er. (We had a 32' TT and a 19' TT before that.)

1.) Outside Storage:
We keep everything (I mean everything) in the rear storage with the exception of the grill, the propane tank for the grill, the vacuum attachments, a broom and swiffer to wet mop the vinyl floor.

2.) Inside Storage
The cabinets in the den are shallower than what we've had in our Cougar TT and we had overhead storage over the sofa and dinette in the past BUT the storage in the kitchen (the "hutch" especially) and the cabinets under the theater seating are more than enough. We have plenty of unused storage space right now. Pantry closet is great. Large/residential fridge is excellent - especially the ice maker. I wasn't expecting an ice maker but it really has been handy. Storage in the bedroom is great but that's partly because we don't have nor plan to have a washer/dryer up there. We use the shelves on the side of the closet for some storage. I'd estimate we use 60% of the storage there routinely. The hamper is great. The chest of drawers is moderate size but no issue putting stuff in the closet instead.

3.) What to watch for
As with any RV you need to watch the cabinet doors when opening the slides. That's especially true in this unit. There are 6 doors to check before opening slides.

a.) Open dinette first. Let table extend and the fridge side will slide slightly. Check on both sides of the fridge slide before opening fully. One our first night on the way back from the dealer in Vermont, we crushed the door and bent the hinges of the door immediately next to the fridge/under the theater seats. The one next to the oven will open too. For now we I thread a bungie cord thru the 3 doors under the theater seating and they now stay closed. Intention is for DW to make a strap (covered in fabric) with clips to secure these doors. Had to purchase a new cabinet door and hinges but the cost was about $100 and I had the replacements within 10 days from the dealer/Keystone. They just drop shipped them to me. Easy install.

b.) BTW.....we put a pillow between the oven, the door under the oven and the doors on the island when towing. Those can open and bang against one another. Silly I know....but it's routine for us now. Have to be careful pulling the pillow out. The sharp metal edge of the oven will tear the pillow cover. (Yes, we learned the hard way.) At least it's easy to tell which pillow we use for this. Just look for the tears.

c.) Once the kitchen slides are out....slide each sofa out slightly. That will give you enough room to go up there and confirm the cabinet doors on each side are still closed. Never had one open but the time I dont check will be the time I'll crush some.

d.) Also now use a bungie to keep the two pantry doors closed during travel. They started to open.

4.) Theater Seating.
Yes...it's tight there but the seats do recline OK. I use the seat next to the steps often. DW uses the other seat from time to time. No issues there so far.

5.) Sofa Beds
So far...so good. That's a tight fit too but it works. When we open both at the same time, we have to raise both sides together and form a V and ease them down simultaneously to have both beds open together. We use a foam topper on one of them for my daughter - not crazy about carrying it around when she camps with us but you do anything for your daughters....even when they are in their 30's.

6.) It's big!
It takes 1-2 hrs to wash and dry it. Closer to 2 but I take an 8' ladder around it and wipe it down to dry it off. Geez...that's a tall rig!

I purchased a 50a to 30a pigtail and an extension cord "just in case" before we took delivery. Turns out we've used them OFTEN. Highly recommend getting them!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-Ex...ilpage_o07_s00

Indicators on the gray tanks work fine. Black tank indicator always reads 3/4 full when empty. That's normal for any RV I guess. Still dealing with getting that piece of tissue (I'm assuming) off that sensor. Tank handles in the convenience center pull hard. Am putting a bottle of tank valve lube in at the end of this trip. Have heard that works wonders.

BE CAREFUL: I can't tell you how many times the DW or me (more often me) leave the cabinet door open to the control center (lights, etc.) inside. I've banged my head pretty seriously several times. I've got to figure something out there. That's dangerous. Just be careful..... it's easy to turn around and head up the stairs when that door's open, not notice it, and wham!!

The day/night shades in den are great. They are not in the bedroom....who knows why. Light streams through bedroom shades. Am planning to purchase from MCD and install myself.

Check all of the light switches when taking delivery. We did and noticed the driver's side and Opposite Driver's Side scare lights were flipped when connected to the switches. Easy fix for the dealer but flipped at the factory.

Also, one of our scare lights was installed upside down. Water ran in the drain that was facing up. Light shorted and started to rust inside since it pooled water. Had to have the light replaced under warranty. All good now. You can see if you look closely there's the word "Top" molded into the clear plastic light cover. It should be at 12 o'clock.

We put a Progressive Industries surge protector in the rig. It has already saved us. Camped at a site with a missing ground when under load. Everything would have been fried w/out it. That was within the first month after delivery. Use a good surge protector. I have had excellent support over the years from Progressive Industries.

The king bed that came with the rig was used for the 2015 season with a memory foam topper. AWFUL!! I replaced the bed platform to make it wider to support a sleep number bed. MUCH BETTER! Camping World usually has great deals (I mean great deals) on SN beds over the winter.

Bathroom cabinet does stick out over the sink. You'll hear about this from owners of other models too. It is what it is. I don't really care that much. I really appreciate so many of the other features to let that bother me. There is a lot of storage in the bathroom BTW. The cabinet has 3 ample shelves. The cabinets next to the toilet are deep and hold a lot!

We added the Legacy Pkg (upgraded suspension, heated bath and BR floors among other things), double pane windows (much quieter), and upgraded the tires and had keystone put the slide toppers on. We had vent covers put on by the dealer.

We use a Hensley TrailerSaver hitch and a Blue Ox Bed Saver (just in case).

I HIGHLY recommend the 3791RD - without reservation!

Additional items since 2015:

1.) I took thread lock to the ceiling fan screws. Had a blade fall off in travel. Did the same to the nut holding on the kitchen light diffuser. That diffuser never wanted to stay on. It always worked its way off.

2.) I replaced the single 12v battery with 2 Trojan T145 batteries. (Details of this upgrade posted with pics and materials on the forum.) Increase in power is amazing. Slides go in/out much brisker now. Level Up works ever time I go pick up the camper. Had issues with low voltage just hooking up with the single 12v battery.

3.) Did the sleep number upgrade in late Feb, 2016 before the trip to the Phillies spring training camp for a week in March. SN bed is the best improvement. The original bed was truly junk. Putting a topper on it made it tolerable I guess but it was like a marshmallow. Really bad but couldn't spring for a full price SN. They typically go on sale at CW over the winter after Thanksgiving.

4.) We had the valence (with the MCD shade) over the dinette fall off during travel to Quebec on very bumpy roads. Only held to "drywall" by short metal screws (3 I think). Was only a matter of time before it fell off. Used very short wall anchors and secured it in more places. Very secure now. Also have had issues with the bottom curtain brackets coming out of the walls at the front going to the bath/bed area and rear den steps. You just brush against them so often going up/down the steps. Again, anchors and screws (short!) fixes this.

5.) DW made a strap and a fabric sleeve for the strap with buckles to secure the dinette chairs. Works well.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:55 AM   #23
Werikson

M.O.C. #25746
DW?

I take it that stands for “Dear Wife”?
Werikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #24
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Welcome to the MOC. As you can see the advice and guidance and help here is the best for Montanas . Enjoy your new rig.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #25
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Welcome from AZ ! Some great guys on the forum who willingly share their knowledge.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #26
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Hope you enjoy your new rig and wlcome to the family..
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote