Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Flushing with hot water

We were scheduled to have some work done on our Satellite dish, I hit a low tree branch and did some damage, the day before we were to take the 5er in the toilet wouldn't shut off. I had the problem before, but lubed the pedal mechanism and the leaking stopped. This time there was no simple fix, so I said since you have it in there, have a look at the toilet and let me know what's happening. According to the tech our toilet is hooked up to the hot water line and according to them this has contributed to the fact that the shutoff valve has failed. Whether the increased wear is caused by the hot water I'm not sure, but is having a toilet hooked up to hot water common, I know this toilet has a history of this problem and would certainly would like some recommendations on possible replacements as I gather replacing the valve if I have the dealership do it would cost almost as much as a new toilet. This toilet is the standard in a 2012 Montana 3750 FL.

mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If it is a Thetford, there have been a lot of reported problems. The solution most take is to replace it with a Dometic 310. Not sure about the hot water deal though, I would think that would have been noticeable??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Assume you have a thetford. The fush mechanism is not expensive if you do it yourself, but you will still end up with the thetford product. I recommend the dometic 320. Easy simple install, two nuts and a flex water line. I am replacing both toilets in our new 3910FB with 320s. Once you have one, you will see the difference. And no, I have never heard of the toilet being connected to the hot water line.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Thanks, we will replace the toilet, which is a Thetford, we wondered about the tech's findings too, but the shop foreman also told us that it definitely was hooked up to the hot water line. My only guess is that since we don't normally flush the toilet too often the water never has a chance to get "hot" before you flush it as the water "cools" down in the line between flushes, just like any other hot water line. May be is was an attempt by Keystone to sanitise the toilet. LOL
Old 09-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Hooking it up to the hot water line is just poor workmanship. Having the tech use that as an excuse is another poor excuse. I would also question his experience.Like you have said, you do not run the water for more than a few seconds,so it would never be hot enough to hurt anything. I would hope that Keystone at least pays to run the proper water line for you. They should be embarrassed. Good luck with that.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The kitchen sink takes a while to get hot. The lavatory gets hot pretty quick as does the shower and I'm guessing it's because the proximity to the hot water tank. The toilet would be the closest and since we flush with the 5/10 second rule, there would be hot water pretty quick. But no hot water so ours is connected correctly. Seems like a foul up at the factory and I'm guessing the extra heat could mess up the toilet parts over time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Different floor plans will have different areas serviced with hot water sooner or later.

Our unit, the kitchen sink is almost on top of the hot water heater, and that is where we go for fast hot water. Our toilet and shower and bath sink are a long way from the heater, it takes longer to get hot water there.

I don't believe we have ever heard of the toilet being hooked up to the hot water heater before.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:28 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Get a length of PEX and a few Flair-it fittings easy job to run cold to the toilet
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455

I don't believe we have ever heard of the toilet being hooked up to the hot water heater before.[/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=3]
[/quote]

I haven't heard of that in a rig before, but did see it done in a new restaurant. With the water temperature required for commercial dishwashers, you didn't want to be still seated when you pulled the lever, but on the other hand everyone wanted that seat if they just came in on a snowy icy night
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Decided that I would contact Keystone customer service, figured that I didn't have a lot to lose. Told them what has happened and asked them to contact their dealer where the problem was discovered. I was polite, just mentioned that I didn't think that this was the "normal" way that they hooked up the toilet so I thought that this would qualify as a factory "defect" and asked them if they would make it right. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #11
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
Never heardof it in a RV but have done it in sb. Do it when using well water which in summer is cold causes the tank to sweat and drip on floor causing it to rot.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Just thought that I would let you know that Keystone did contact me told me to submit the bill and they would consider it. Which is about what I hoped they would do, will post on the final outcome. Michael