Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
DualPane Windows

This may have been discussed. To all the full timers and long timers, do you recommend ordering the dual pane windows for the Montana. We will be ordering ours early next year and would like some input on these windows. Especially those that stay in cooler climatesduring the winter months.

Thank you

herewegotogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not being a long-timer or fulltimer, please allow me to comment. If you are willing to pay for the upgrade I think they would be a definite benefit not only for winter and summer camping but anytime you have to use your climate system. I say this because as a some-timer we don't worry about electrical costs as much, but propane usage is high when it's cold. There is so much focus on new RV insulation that using single pane windows does not seem to make sense and it does cause us to use a lot of propane when it's cold. In hot weather anything that can help the AC not run as hard or long should help, too.

I suppose the only things to worry about can be easily tolerated. First, extra weight, if any, especially if there is a large window involved but it's just another (good) reason rigs are getting heavier. Hopefully this information is provided so your TV will be compliant. Another thing is an extra cost to repair in the event of breakage (window cost, and installation). But hope for the best and these costs can easily be saved up by energy and propane savings I would think unless you like to camp by baseball fields.

As a customer, the windows gets, or allows, a lot of heat or cold requiring the DN shades to be drawn to prevent blazing sun from entering (even with the dark tint) or to help stave off the cold, but the single panes are definitely a problem at the extremes that could be improved with dual panes.

The option was not offered (may not have been available) but I sure would have liked to consider it.

Hey! First time member posting! Welcome to the MOC!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking a great question. You'll hear both sides of the story. Some like them and some don't. The only solid thing I've heard is they are good at keeping noise out.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
From what I've heard on the forum, they are dual pane, not thermopane and do more to cut noise than hold in heat or cold.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have them on our 08 Big Sky and love them, they are ok for the cold but great in that they don't frost up. They also keep the outside noise way below the windows we had on our Jayco. We like them and are not interested in the additional weight or cost. We feel they were a good investment... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We have owned 2 Montana's one with and one without. We would not purchase another one without. The thing we like is that it cuts the outside noise down and they do not sweat inside in damp humid weather. There really is no R factor in them however when sitting near them in the winter you do not feel the cold as much.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
According to Charles Wade, Regional Manager for Keystone, "Double pane windows do nothing more for your trailer than help cut down on some noise. They are not Thermopane windows and add no more than .1 % of R factor."
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Once hyou have them you will always like them. They do reflect light due to the dark tint and you have read about the noise. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I've heard that they also have smaller operable panes (slides, tilts), reducing air flow. Since we like the fresh air and delay using the A/C as long as possible, we prefer the larger openings of the single panes. In cold conditions, one can apply shrink plastic to the inside of the windows and get most of the benefits of the second pane.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Not sure I understand smaller openings, we have frameless windows and our roll out except in the slide ends and we can leave the widows rolled out while raining and nothing gets wet inside. Dual pane window are a plus for our use. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We love our dual panes.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not have dual pane. Our single pane wndows are tinted. They do cut down on the noise a bit. Keystone will tell you they do nothing for heat or cold. However..it appears that if you get them they do keep out the heat and cold..Must be magic???? Had we known for sure what they weighed when we purchased the 3400 in 06 we no doubt would have got them....its only money..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Everybody rationalizes their decision. There is plenty of cross ventilation in a unit with dual pane windows. In our first Big Sky, we did not have them. Now we have them and if we bought another unit, we would have them again. Noise reduction just makes us more comfortable. That windows don't fog up in winter as much as single pane windows is a value to me. There doesn't seem to be as much cold coming through the window as with the single pane windows.

Everyone has to determine what value is placed on what factors. If you don't want them, don't get them. But let those who have them enjoy them. I enjoyed the Montana we had with single pane windows, but I think I enjoy the double pane more. To each his own. Enjoy your rig.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #14
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We like the dual panes and would go no other way. Good noise reduction and less condensation on the windows. There is a minumum air space between the panes so does allow for a small increase onthe "R" Factor.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Do the dual pane windows come with the very heavy dark tint?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Cannot notice it from the inside out, but looking into the unit from outside there is a certain amount of tint, nothing look the automotive industry. Likely in that 20% plus range and I am only guessing; very similar to the single pane.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #17
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Do the dual pane windows come with the very heavy dark tint?
If I recall correctly, the single pane glass is tinted way darker than the dual pane glass. A call or e-mail to Kinro would get you exact tint information.

(574) 533-8337
customerservice@kinro.com

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The reason I asked (obviously we do not have the dual paned windows), is that very dark tint does more to keep out the summer sun and heat than clear or very lightly tinted dual paned windows.

I would think the dual paned would be best in the winter, and the dark tinted single pane in the summer...excluding the noise factor.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #19
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
We have them on our 2007 Big Sky and they came with very little, if any, tint and we ordered tinted windows. I am unhappy about that but they do keep out more noise than the single pane windows. Also on some of the windows the opening portion is a lot smaller than the single pane so they do restrict some air flow.

I would get them again if we ever got another rig.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
Thanks to everyone for your comments and sharing your experience. We will be ordering the dual panes, the extra noise reduction when full timing is a huge benefit. If they aren't tinted as dark we can always have them tinted darker.

Bill and Laurie
herewegotogether is offline   Reply With Quote