Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Keystone Quality Improving?

I know there are a lot of new Montanas out there this year. I'm curious if you have seen an improvement in overall quality. We have now spent two weekends in our new Big Sky. I have searched pretty hard for issues and run most of the major systems (the weather hasn't cooperated for using the air conditioner yet). So far, we have a potential backup camera issue and a missing knob from on top of a lamp. We are really enjoying our new Big Sky and hope that others are finding the quality level to be very good on their new units. In addition, we are finding the upgrades since 2004 to be outstanding.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron, we will just now get our first chance to enjoy our 3455sa this weekend. However, while the rig has ben sitting beside the house, we have tried a lot of the appliances, heaters, fireplace and the air conditioner.
Everything we found so far quality wise, has been exceptional and just love the new interiors.
I removed the sewer boom already since I couldn't use the extra valve in front of it. Still trying to find a place for the 20/30 foot of sewer hose, elbows and donut. May have to "cut" a hole in the side panel and put a door there.
We'll get back to you next week on our first trip!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
A couple of weeks ago, we looked at several new models at our local dealership. Lucky we already own one because I would not have purchased one based on what I saw. They have had a lot of vandalism on their lot recently (breaking into the units and stealing the flat screen televisions and surround sound systems) so maybe I should not be to critical of their inventory. They have since taken out all electronics from their units until they are sold.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sadly, that vandalism is nation wide and industry wide. Noticed the MIA electronics well over a year ago.

To Ron and Emmel: Enjoy those new units!! WAHHOOO
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Our 3455SA is two months ago. Only issues we had were the bedroom door knob was on backward and the electric hot water heater was not hooked up correctly. They fixed these and not a problem since.

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
From what we have been reading on the forums it seems that with all the turmoil in the RV industry it was my impression that quality had suffered throughout the industry over the last few months. Good to hear that Montana is not affected.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Our previous rig was a 2004 Mountaineer 325FKBS TT. We had such good luck and service with it when we decided to up-size to a 5th wheel, the choice was simple. Now having said that, we picked up our 3455SA just about a month ago in Indiana and lived in it on our trip back to Washington state. While staying at the campground next to the dealer where we purchased, we did find a couple of minor issues(TV antenna not connected, bedroom door knob on backwards and some sealant on the roof seams that needed replacing) which were promptly corrected before we headed home. Last week I was working on quieting the machine gun in the basement (a.k.a. "The Water Pump" and found the cable for the TV that goes into the back of the outlet in the convenience center was loose. Also there was much cleanup required behind the wall panels I removed to access the pump (saw dust, scrap wire and molding, etc.). Other than those items, which I think some are expected, we have been very pleased thus far. We will be headed to the Spring Rally at Seven Feathers in Oregon next month and that will be another real test for the rig. We are looking forward to many years of pleasure and service from this unit and can't wait to use it at every opportunity.

As for the vandalism, I know that every rig we looked at here in the local area all had the TVs removed to prevent them from being stolen. Even out in the country where we picked up this rig, the sales staff told us that if the rigs are going to be on their lot for any length of time they remove the high end electronics as well, and looking at their lot it looked like a pretty secure facility....fenced, gated, barbed wire on top and cameras). What a sad state of affairs.

Jack
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We picked up our 3665RE in November and have taken it out on a couple of weekend trips so far to test everything out. We'll be heading to the Northeast rally at the end of the week for it's first long trip. So far, we found that the cover to the circuit breakers won't fit and the dealer has ordered us another one. That seems to be it. We're very satisfied.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
For Emmell -

I have seen members post pictures of their rigs who fastened large diameter tubes on the underside framing of their rigs to store their sewer hoses. You might try looking for pictures from members who post in the "additions and improvements" forum topic.

Now for the subject matter.

I would not call vandalism or having a dealership looking like Fort Knox quality issues. However, missing hardware, loose wires, backwards knobs, are quality issues and there are no excuses for those. ANY issue like that means there is a quality issue and we should not be so complacent to accept that there are only one or two of these because the other person had four or five.

Consider this, how many mistakes would you like your doctor or nurse to make on a yearly basis? How many mistakes should your mechanic make? How many mistakes do you accept for your food order? How many things do you want to be wrong with your car? How many loose wires and missing knobs would you accept on the jet you are using to fly across country? I hope we don't accept any quality issues at any time by anybody, ever! The responsibility lies on the employee(s) who accepted the responsibility and the pay associated with doing their job right, all the time, unconditionally and without fail. If the job changes or you don't like your arrangement, go find a different job, but you must still commit to the new job's responsibility and implied quality.

This is why quality-wise, the Japanese corporations are eating our jobs and profits. Did you know the philosophies on how to do this came from Americans? Right after world war II, these same Americans tried to instill quality techniques because during the war it became more evident how much manufacturing was wasted by poor quality, but were ridiculed and ignored because the Americans won the war so Americans could do no wrong. These gentleman went to Japan and helped with the rebuilding because the Japanese were willing to accept whatever could help them recover quickly and reducing manufacturing defects would help especially when they were competing against the rest of the world who was accepting defects. And within twenty years, they started to eat away at the American dollar and workforce - it started with the teasing of "Made in Japan" - but they listened and improved and now it means something better. And now these same Japanese are now setting up shop here to try and stay on our good side and give some American workers a bit of their pie as they pocket most of it. Other countries are taking jobs because they do the same quality of work at much less the price.

Okay, no more preaching. It sounds like Phyllen and Jackel describe the exact things that we should not accept. I, also had some issues with my rig when I first got it. If things were done right all the time by everyone, we would not need warranties or insurance at the costs they are now. Accidents will happen but I think avoiding them or preventing them is a better option.

I think Montana's quality is better than most and is why they will continue to be successful, but if a more quality conscious company comes along (or the Japanese start manufacturing RVs), they could fall just like some of the other recent RV manufacturers. I am not surprised by some of the RV companies that have fallen from what I heard of their quality issues - the cost to repair or replace something is far higher than doing it right in the first place.

Okay, done.

I do love my Montana, faults and all,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So True, So true .W. Edwards Deming..No one ever heard of him and no one cares. You are beating a dead horse Ed. No body wants to hear that stuff. We studied his works at UCLA http://www.lii.net/deming.html
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I know people have frequently posted about their problems. But we purchased our 3075RL new in July '07. It had one factory wiring error initially that the dealer quickly corrected. Now after about 6000 miles and about 60 nights, we have had not one problem except one screw coming out of one day/night shade. I have occasionally tightened a few loose screws, but nothing else. Even the Apollo half time is still working after much use (oops! probably should not have said that).
Montana is still the leading selling brand for 7 consecutive years now. If there had been more significant quality issues than other brands, I don't think they could have maintained that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote