Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
Y-ASK
Established Member

M.O.C. #7754
347THT Mountaineer or the 300MP Raptor

We currently own and have been very happy with our 08 332PHT but we would love to bring a golf cart with us so we are looking at Toy Haulers. I really like the Keystone Raptor 300MP but the wife would prefer the 347THT Mountaineer. Unfortunately the wife and I are at odds on this one and here's a few of the reasons:

My reasons why I don't like the Mountaineer:
#1. The shower is in the bedroom. I like it closed off like we have now.
#2. The garage may be a little too short for the golf cart I want to purchase.
#3. There doesn't appear to be any drop down bunkbeds in the back after the golf cart is removed. We have three kids...

Her reasons why she doesn't like the Raptor:
#1. Some of the cloth interior is sort of white.
#2. She doesn't like the word Raptor written on the outside.

Anybody else have any opinions on either of these two fine 5th wheels?

Y-ASK

Y-ASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Can you order a Raptor with a different interior? I can understand her concern with a whitish interior.

Reputation and quality wise I would pick a Raptor over a Mountaineer as a toy hauler hands down! The Raptor has been around longer, has more variety and started life with hauling toys as its priority. For Mountaineer hauling a toy is a far second place.

As for the decal, the Raptor is a much more popular and successful model of Toy Hauler versus the Mountaineer. Don't think of a Raptor as an extinct dinosaur, think of it as the bird - hawks, falcons, eagles are Raptors. It's just a name, but a good one. These trailers are seen everywhere and the name implies to most of us, an experienced toy hauler product.

It appears your reasons of concern are critical for the usability of the unit for the whole family and guests where hers are more aesthetic. Unfortunately I can identify with you that if you cannot resolve these issues you'll never hear the end of it - keep mindful of the phrase, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Fixing the Mountaineer to meet your needs is WAY tougher than fixing the Raptor. There is NO way to fix the Mountaineer. For the Raptor assuming you can't change the upholstery you'll have to guarantee you'll keep it clean or get help from the kids (ouch) and after all, the decal can be removed - or with some clever blade work, changed to something else... :-) (Reaper, Rapport, Happy, how good are you with a knife or a paint brush?)

Thinking of the future which unit will be able to handle larger and heavier additions to the toys you add. You don't mention the age of your 3 kids but you know how that goes, their toys (and yours) may go beyond a golf cart.

Good luck with the compromise.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You would even think of buying something your wife doesn't like? FOOL!! g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #4
Y-ASK
Established Member

M.O.C. #7754
Well looks like I got lucky. While my concerns went in one ear and out the other with the wife our sales rep (who we purchased our Mountaineer from) was able to say basically the same thing and she then looked at it in a different way. We are in the process of closing the deal on the Raptor . Guess we'll see how it goes. The Raptor we want is on the lot and I've got $500 bucks holding it for us. Isn't that the way it always works out, I finally got everything fixed (small stuff) on our Mountaineer just in time for some lucky soul to purchase it off the dealer's lot.

Y-ASK
Y-ASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's great!!! I'll have to send you a pet Eagle as a rig warming gift. Do you like bald eagles or goldens?

Thanks for your "support" murf. You match your profile's occupation. :-)

Does this mean owning a Keystone Raptor that you must leave this forum? Bummer. I hope they have provisions that once in the MOC always in the MOC.

Enjoy,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote