Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #21
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
“That being said, if you are ever camped in a lot and security or police ask you to move., we were told if you say you have been drinking, they legally can’t force you to go.”

Interesting strategy. ��

Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #22
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Our modus operandi: ask at the Customer Service desk, or ask the duty manager; upon approval, flag down the security person and mention you have permission, and could they please keep an eye on the rig. Avoid using slides, generators, lawn chairs, BBQs. It's overnight parking, not camping. We have never had a problem where Was-Mart sets the rules. Local bylaws override their corporate policy of allowing overnight parking.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 AM   #23
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
My wife don't trust staying at the Walmart most of the one I've been to are not so good looking, we will plan our trip and see if we can stay one night at some rv park along the way, work for us.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #24
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We generally plan stops at rv parks but will occasionally use a truck stop though they're a bit noisy. One time we got a late start leaving our site (got stuck) and found we needed to stop around 10 PM. Wife found a WM just off the interstate in Columbia SC. They were closed when we landed but there was a motorhome parked so I figure it was ok. Just got settled in when there was a knock on the door. I'm thinking "uh oh". It was a trucker that had just unloaded at the store and had one case of frozen shrimp left on his truck and didn't want to run his refer all night just for that. Asked if I liked shrimp. Gladly took the problem off his hands and thanked him with a 20. He was happy, I was happy and DW, who had already crawled into bed, was wondering what the heck all the commotion was ( I had to push out the kitchen slide to get to the freezer). Peaceful quiet night, popped into the store in the morning and bought some stuff and hit road. Only one experience and very positive.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #25
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We have used a Walmart once and awhile when we absolutely had to. I always use my RVParky app which is generally up to date and will not only tell me which ones allow overnight parking but give several recent reviews from fellow campers.

As someone else already stated, it is helpful to use a satellite view to look at entrances and exits. We recently were in a couple different Walmarts (in the car) that had height restriction bars across the main entrances.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #26
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Harveys Tahoe used to allow Rvs to stay in the parking lot. Until some BOZO EMPTIES his holding tanks in the lot!.. Now?, nope, no more.. NEVER ever dump tanks in a parking area..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #27
Val Gonzales

M.O.C. #7819
Send a message via Yahoo to Val Gonzales
Overnight at Walmart

A much better alternative is Cracker Barrel!
Val Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #28
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Gonzales View Post
We've stayed at a number on Cracker Barrel's. Much quieter than Wally World. Food is pretty good and is reasonably priced.
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:03 PM   #29
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Yep, I rather stay there also but I think you would still need to let the manager know, good call.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #30
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Gonzales View Post
Beware some Cracker Barrels parking lots are not easy to navigate. I always use Google satellite view to scope them out first.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:39 PM   #31
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Beware some Cracker Barrels parking lots are not easy to navigate. I always use Google satellite view to scope them out first.
I use Google Earth to pre-plan almost all of our stops including fuel. Some gas stations aren't very "big rig friendly." They should build the fuel islands at a 45 degree angle.
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #32
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by psomers View Post
We have never overnight in a Walmart but see nothing wrong with it for one night if common sense is used. We go to Pigeon Forge, Tn. at least once a year and always have to visit the Walmart. We have observed campers with their slides, awnings and lawn chairs out. Have even seen some that have their trucks unhooked. These are the ones that wonder why Walmart is stopping this perk.
Amen and ditto to above!!! For some reason people have lost their common sense and RESPECT for each other and businesses.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:32 PM   #33
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
On the other hand truck stops are much more accommodating to RVs. Yes trucks idling are noisy but the truth is that constant drone actually helps me sleep (I guess to many nights on offshore oil platforms). Nearly all major truck stops are setup for parking overnight and many have locations exclusively for RVs. They are all easy access as a necessity and you have food and fuel. But the main thing is they EXPECT overnight parking. Just show the professional truckers some respect and don't use the slideouts if you park with them unless you have to (like us--we can't access our bedroom without at least one slide out but we try our best not to be in the way with it).
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #34
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Our Choice.We have never overnighted at Wall mart or any big box store, rest area, truck stop ,etc. At the end of a day on the road we like to lay back, shower have a good meal and take it easy. We use campgrounds passport America has good rates.
Same for us.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #35
rayrogers10

M.O.C. #14531
Looks like you got most of the good answers. You might also try Cracker Barrel, 9 out of 10 are quiet and still near the freeway. We have not stayed at a rest stop for years, I have heard too many scary stories and decided not to do that unless really pressed.

We put out slides and usually shop at WallyWorld or eat at Cracker Barrel. Good luck.
P.S. National Forests and other public campgrounds are findable on 'Ultimate US Public Campgrounds" app. Cheap and really handy for finding all kinds of perfect location places with and without hookups.
rayrogers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #36
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
We went crosscountry and stayed at our share of Walmarts. Like someone said “some do snd some don’t” even if its posted, I still went in and asked the managers permission That being said, if you are ever camped in a lot and security or police ask you to move., we were told if you say you have been drinking, they legally can’t force you to go.
That’s great information! Thanks for sharing!

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote