Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2004, 04:56 AM   #1
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
SEWAGE WATER COMING OUT FROM THE UNDERBELLY!

When flushing the black tank on our last trip I experienced water coming from the underbelly. What happened was I had opened the black tank valve and turned the flush on. I left it running for about half an hour then checked the monitor and saw that it was registering 2/3 full. I thought because I had the flush going it was giving me an incorrect reading. I went out and checked the sight glass and the water was still cloudy but slowly flowing so I closed the valve to let the water accumulate to pick up anything that might have settled on the sides. Not more than two minutes passed and I heard a splashing sound coming from under the camper. Water was coming out from under the coach on the drivers side. I immediately opened the black tank and shut off the flush water valve. I finished flushing the black tank but stayed right there opening and closing the valve to make sure I didn’t overfill the tank again.

I know you’re not suppose to run the flush with the valve closed but I’ve been doing that for the last 4 years and have never had a problem.

A friend of mine that is an RV Mechanic said that I could have a separation in the vent pipe or possibly where the toilet connects to the tank and that the dealer should have done a pressure test before allowing it to leave the lot. If the system is sealed properly the water should back up into the toilet.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

Bill

Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
Montana_682
Established Member

M.O.C. #682
yes It was Keystone when I went to Goshen to have warranty items fixed which later had to be re -fixed and they caused more problems the mechanic pulled his self under the rv by grabbing the sewer pipe which later turned into a nightmare he cracked the pipe at the exit of tank I found out when in Fla.it took about 3 mo to get the tank replaced what an ordeal
Montana_682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:45 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We had a somewhat similar problem after we unavoidably hit some debris on the highway. It apparently hit the sewer pipe and cracked it at the outlet wye between the sewer and grey water tanks. In our case, I was able to make a temporary repair with tape, and called ahead to our dealer who was able to get the parts and fix it for us quite quickly on our way home. I know this does not sound like your problem, but I thought I would mention it anyway because it is the kind of thing that could happen to anyone. Just takes a chunk of tire on the interstate with no safe way to avoid.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:47 AM   #4
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
We had the problem with the gray water tank. At the end of a weekend of camping while hitching up to go to the dump station, I noticed water coming out of the belly. Fortunately for me it looked like gray water and not black water. We dumped and the gray water was less than usual. I took it to the dealer and they discovered that the plumbing joint into the tank had a crack. Because we did not have a sewer connection, the tank filled up and leaked out the top and drained out the belly. They fixed it and we've tested it. So far so good.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Sounds like good info to know. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Mrkaraoke

M.O.C. #22473
I had an issue this morning. My wife woke me up and said there was a stream of water coming from 1 location under camper and a drip at other. I thought I had smelled sewer this morning in my sleep but thought I was dreaming. I shut water off and emptied the black tank. It dripped for a few and stopped. I closed valve and turned water back on and no drip. I cannot smell septic outside. Only inside and now it is clearing up. I looked underneath and it looks like a nightmare to remove underbelly. Any suggestions?
Mrkaraoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Not hard to drop bottom mrkaraoke. If that task is more than you can do, then anything wrong inside will be beyond you as well and you should get a mobile repair or dealer to fix.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
sounds like a overfilled tank and the input pipe separated the input. The weight of the liquid in the tank caused the separation and it is likely that if you do not fill the tank to capacity it will not overflow again but you did break the tank and it will have to be repaired. we have been there and done that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote