Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Eastern KY Campgrounds?

Any recommendations for staying in Eastern KY with the Montana? Trying to find one for a couple of weeks in late summer. Ashland to Pikeville. Thanks for response.

corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have stayed in:
Yatesville Lake SP
Carter Caves SP
Jenny Wiley SRP
Greenbo Lake SRP
Grayson Lake SP
and of course, although it is a bit off your route, there is also the Horse Park near Lexington.

Except for the horse park, there are only certain sites at any of these that would be suitable. A lot of the sites at Grayson and Jenny Wiley are far from level. (but then, there is not much of eastern Kentucky that is level). Yatesville is probably your best bet. Paintsville Lake SP is nice, but the sites are a bit tight for a Montana.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Greenbo has some new full-hookup paved pull-throughs that are super nice. Some sites are longer than 50 feet.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Kentucky Horse State Park is great if it not to far out of the way,only drawback is no sewer hookup
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Yes, I agree Greenbo Lake State Resort Park is very nice but if you go there be sure and holler at us, we are only about 25 miles from the park. Site # 38, 39 & 40 are IMHO the prime spots with full hook-ups. There are plenty other places you can get into but those are the easiest. We parked there last weekend on site # 40 and had our car behind the camper with room for one more; in the front we had our truck and a visitor also parked in the same drive. I believe we could have gotten another vehicle in there also if we had tried. They don’t like for you to park on the grass due to the past construction but you won’t be disappointed.

Carter caves is really nice also. The full hook-ups there are all back-ins but you can get in them if you are careful. Site # 62 (not full hook-ups) is my favorite due to the easiness of backing into it. The pull-thru’s are not level but it is a nice park and is only 5 miles off of I-64.

Grayson is an older park with a golf course at the campground. I haven’t stayed there for many years and really don’t like it all that much. They do have a few nice sites though.

South of I-64 a ways S-East of Lexington is Natural Bridge; It is a magnificent and beautiful park. I haven’t been there for a long time and would actually like to visit there again. Allow yourself a couple of nights there to see the area.

If you have any questions feel free to send me an e-mail or PM.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
We really like Twin Knobs CG on Cave Run lake. Off I64 just west of Moorhead. Not a whole lot of full hookups though. Carter Caves is about an hour East of Cave Run. We also like Breaks Interstate Park on the KY/West Va border southeast of Pikeville. The "Breaks" are called the Grand Canyon of the East with good reason. Amazing topography and beautiful vistas with plenty of good hiking.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Agree about the topography of Breaks Interstate Park, but can you get a Montana in there? Similarly Natural Bridge SP. It is well worth a visit, but when we were last there a few years ago, the campground was not what you could call "big rig friendly". I read where Greenbo has been upgraded, so perhaps these have too, but just check first.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I do believe that Natural Bridge has some pull throughs in the main camping area. I know the KY state parks will show you a photo of the camp site and they give details on each site when making reservations through Reserve America. Be sure and view the maps of the park when making a reservation.

On a previous camping trip I was talking to a person who stated they were working at some of the parks. Apparently several of the parks in KY are up-grading and making more RV friendly spots. I remember Cumberland Falls State Park used to not be rig friendly at all and he told me that there are some large campsites there now and indicated that I wouldn’t have a problem. I would check the details before I would go there again but it has been a long time since we were there.