Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey, what’s the story on these ‘Winter Texans?’

Who are they, and where do they come from?
Well, according to a study and survey by The University of Texas-Pan American, they are visitors from many states that visit from one month, to six month’s . Minnesota has the most numbers, (around 16%), then Iowa, Illinois, Canada falls in at around 8%,, Wisconsin and other states as well.
These men and women are 99% Caucasian, 87% of them married . Our average age at the time of the study was 67.5 years, I would think it a bit younger now. Average income at $50,000 a year. 69% of the respondents were in the $20,000 to $60,000 range. These figures were for the Rio Grande Valley area visitors. 53% of these men and women served in the United States Military.
Retirement: It's nice to get out of the rat race, but you have to learn to get along with less cheese. ~Gene Perret Interesting fact about the Rio Grande Valley, it isn’t a valley at all, but a Delta, or floodplain. Early settlers from Mexico felt the term “Valley” sounded more inviting than “Delta” .
The RGV, as people like to call it, is also called “El Valle” Spanish translation of ‘”the Valley”. (The above taken from the study as well)
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had the time before to notice the beauty of my grandkids, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself. ~Hartman Jule What the study did not state is that the retirees are just folks; teachers, sales people, mechanics, factory workers, business owners. Hard working men and women that got up early, seldom missed work so they could raise a family, put the kids through school and try to save enough money to relax some day, when their health starts to fade. They are the kind of people that made this country the wonderful place we live in.
Retirement is wonderful. It's doing nothing without worrying about getting caught at it. ~Gene Perret
In my travels the years I have been on the road, I have seen, and stayed in many states and cities around the country. Not all of these cities are friendly to us retirees. My wife and I spent 4 month’s in Lake Havasu City Arizona. The business people and the town’s people were rude and intolerant. It was very noticeable to me, even on the road they wouldn’t let you in, and cut you off.
I asked a few business owners why such rudeness? I bought my wife a nice bicycle from a shop in town and had a conversation with the owner. He did not deny my observation, his reasons were that we were ‘cheap’, drove slowly, never knew where we were going, and couldn’t park our big trucks properly.
We were so amazed on how friendly Texas is, I tell people that Texans are friendly when they don’t really have to be.
It’s obvious to all of that come here, that Texans want us to come here and want us back.
First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to zip up your fly; and then you forget to unzip your fly. ~Branch Rickey
Business people should consider that we are not young anymore, we may not hear as well as we used to, and might not park that vehicle as good as we once did, but we can remember who was kind to us, who appreciated our business, and those who did not.
Retirement is wonderful. It's doing nothing without worrying about getting caught at it. ~Gene Perret

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote