Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2007, 05:17 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hi Dan and Darlene! Here is my 2-centavos:

Typically batteries will only freeze if they are allowed to disharge completely. To avoid that for long term storage, I would pull the cables in addition to the master switch. Theoretically the master switch should work, but the 12V equipment in the forward compartment is not controlled by the master switch, including the slides and landing gear.

Although having different capacity batteries isn't a major issue, you ultimately would like to have batteries that are twins in size, brand, and age. The primary reason is the charger operates on voltage and will minimize output once it sees the desired voltage of around 13.4V or so. Often the voltage is achieved across both batteries prematurely with the smaller or newer battery compensating for the larger capacity or older battery. As a result, the larger or older battery doesn't get a full charge. I wouldn't bother trying to independantly charge the batteries, as neither the Montana converter nor your charge line from your pickup is capable of that anyway which would be your primary charging methods while on an outing. Just remember next time you need batteries to try and get twins, regardless of size.

As far as topping of the electrolyte, I beleive the preferred is distilled water.

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy that nice rig!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote