Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Breakaway switch

Has anyone experienced a problem with the emergency breakaway switch coming off the frame of the goose neck?
I found mine dangling, but still connected by the wires. The wire must have caught on something laying in the bed of the truck. It appears the bolt holding it on the frame sheared. Is this a special kind of bolt? I will have to drill the sheared bolt to re-attach it to the frame. Should I be concerned about the switch unit or is this device a trigger that once used it has to be replaced.

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Doug,
The wire is attached to a pin that is inserted into the switch and when pulled the brakes are applied. If the wire was caught on something it should have just pulled the pin out and applied the brakes, the pin must be reinserted to disengage the brakes. Usually there is no damage, just a little embarassment when the brakes lock up and you cant move the Monty. If the pin did not pull out but pulled the switch off the frame there is a problem with the switch.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Bill's got it right Doug. Mine has pulled out before on the road and I had hot brakes.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
If the brake cable got caught on something in thne back of the truck box, it could have been pulled sideways. The pin would probably not come out and maybe broke the bolts holding the brakeaway switch to the pinbox. you would think the bolts would be stronger then that, but who knows. You shold pull the pin out once in a while just to be sure the switch works. Its a good way to dynamite your trailer brakes to check if your hitch is set properly.
J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
That's a nice item to have a spare of in the tool box !
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I had the experience of making a right turn at an intersection only to have the cable snag on something and pull the pin out. When the brakes are applied in this manner the 5er stops moving until you re-insert the pin to release the brakes. Let me tell you how embarrassing it is when your in an intersection. Thankfully, it didn't take me too long to figure out what had happened. In my case the sudden stop actually broke a stud on one of the brake shoes so I had to replace the shoes.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Good advice in your replies. Thank-you all.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #8
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I tried pulling the pin out while I was unhooked to the TV. I cannot pull the pin out even after applying some effort.
I called my dealer & the service dept. says I should not be able to pull it out. If the RV separated from the TV there would be enough pressure applied to cause the breaks to engage.
I am unsure whether I have a problem or not and I think it is to important to leave to chance.

Have any of you be able to pull the pin?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Doug,

I have pulled my breakaway pin out at least half a dozen times ( by hand ). You have to give it a bit of a tug, but it should come out OK. It's a little harder to put in. It has sort of an arrow shape point to the pin and will only go in one way. I would definitely figure it out before you pull the trailer some where.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #10
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Hi John,
Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try again in the next couple of days.
And thanks for telling me about pushing it back in. It would have been very frustrating not knowing that little tidbit.
Doug
Old 06-09-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
I remember so well the time that mine came off when I was trying to back into my space on the side of the house. There I was blocking the entire street, of course everyone in town detoured through by my house at that particular time, I didn't realize that it had come off (caught on something in the bed) so I dragged the monty across the front lawn, that says something about an F350 Diesel. Fortunately the grass was soft so the Monty just kind of skiied along behind the truck until we cleared the street, no damage, just a red face.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote