Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #41
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
If you have any concern about batter power usage, you may want to see if it uses less power on 12VDC or 120VAC. First, I'd check to see which will pull more power. I suspect, straight off DC would work better than getting going from DC through an inverter. As far as getting power from basement, you might be able to run it next to the bathroom plumming without cutting new hole in floor (still need to get under sink through wall or cabinet though. Good luck, I'm sure it won't be long before I'm part of the CPAP club. Terry

TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #42
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

My husband had a cpap machine but wouldn't use it. I'm not even sure he knows where it is. We have a friend who wouldn't use his cpap, now he uses a mouth guard at night that thrusts the lower jaw forwards and that has taken away the need for him to use the cpap machine, according to his doctors. His wife says he doesn't snore or stop breathing at night any more.

He had to have his doctor refer him for it so his insurance would pay for it. The mouth guard was about $400, required several visits and xrays to have it molded and custom fitted. Does anyone else use one of these mouth guards?

I've seen a commercial lately on TV for a generic one of these lately, but I think it wouldn't work as well as the custom fitted one.

I'm still trying to get my husband to check into the mouth guard.
Margee, try to get Doug to do something, one way or another. I'm not meaning to sound like a know-it-all, but obstructive sleep apnea is very serious as you no doubt know. Untreated it can take literally years and years off of your life. The constant cessation of breathing and then choking and re-breathing is very hard on the heart. I have a brother and father-in-law who are both too stubborn to use theirs too and I'm always trying to persuade them to.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #43
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Denfinger

I would use 12 volt cigarette extension cable found at most automative stores which are up to 20 ft long and plug it into the TV connection in the bedroom when you go to bed and roll it up when you get up as a short term fix until you figure it out. If it would seldom be used, I would make this teh permanent solution.
I tried this and my machine kept shutting down. It was only a ten foot extension also. I don't know electrical at all, but I assume the machine was drawing too much power for the gauge and length of the extension so it kept shutting off.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #44
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
I have a Bennet Goodnight C-PAP that I bought years ago (they don't make my model anymore) that stays in the 5th wheel running on a 15' 12V extension. Heve used it in two Montys now with no problem. Chugs away at a setting of 12 with no problems. Got my 12V extension from Amazon. And to D and M On The Road, I want to echo Seahunter about hounding your hubby. Not only hard on the heart but can also cause strokes not using his machine.

Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #45
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
I do not know electrical!
I have just been plugging my CPAP into the outlet under the bed - have never appeared to have problems.
We plug into 50amp most of the time.

AM I doing something wrong ?
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #46
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joe in Texas

I do not know electrical!
I have just been plugging my CPAP into the outlet under the bed - have never appeared to have problems.
We plug into 50amp most of the time.

AM I doing something wrong ?
Not if it's working! LOL.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #47
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you're on 110 volts that's fine, the original poster is looking for a 12 volt outlet for boondocking
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #48
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
CPAP

I'm 55 been wearing a CPAP since I was 32 years old. 10 years ago insurance bought me a new machine. Up till then I never brought it with me in the RV. So I ordered a 12 volt connector for the CPAP to run in a plug in like a Cig. Lighter It never had enough power to run the machine at full power. I then bought a 15' coiled cord like an old phone cord and connected and installed to small clamps(Like on Jumper cables only smaller.I would run the cable out the bedroom window and hook it up to one of the two batteries on my truck. Worked great. I used that one untill last year when I got another new machine. So I orderd a new plug in on amazon. It was great, I plugged the second machine into to a plug in for the bedroom for a 12 volt tv. I couldn't believe it!! It work so good, Now when we got home in Sept. We bought our first Montana 5th wheel, We haven't spent one night in it yet. I think it will work fine. I think the newer technoligy today makes a newer CPAP work fine in an R.V May you sleep like a baby.
Mel
Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #49
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
I added a small invertor by the bed and I plug my 110v cpap into that. works fine for boondocking. the 12v outlet, cigarette type, I tapped into the 12v light at the corner of my bed. seems to work just fine for me
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #50
USNSS
Established Member

M.O.C. #12224
I spend 5-6 weeks boondocking in cold weather every year and opted to not put any more load on the installed batteries at night. I know I'll hear about this, but I bought 2 deep cycle batteries in battery boxes, a CPAP converter (much more efficient), and a good small battery charger. Put a rubber mat down next to the bed and put everything on it. My 3100 had a 120 outlet next to this area so I use one battery for the CPAP and have the other one hooked to charge whenever I run the generator. I get about 3-4 days of CPAP use out of one battery and the other one is always fully charged when I need it. I have never had any hydrogen or acid problems. May not work for you, but works great for me. Advice: if you need a CPAP, WEAR IT. I just had quadruple by-pass surgery and woke up with my CPAP installed by the nurses, I hate it but ALWAYS use it.
USNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #51
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I installed a inverter next to the batteries then ran an extension cable up beside the Hydraulic hoses and then installed a plugin in the bed frame. I use it Dry Camping and used to have pictures on the site.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote