Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Satellite dish recommendation

We recently started carrying one of our Dish Network HD, non-DVR) receivers with us when we travel. We also had a dish antenna until it blew over (twice) in Qsite. My question is, do the small one eye (Can't remember the technical term) dishes work well, or do you need to re aim the dish to acquire another satellite? We have the basic programming and local channels at home, and use 110 and 119 satellites. The two eye dish we had before was a set and forget it deal, but it was bulky and cumbersome. We don't have an HD TV in Monty, and only need the satellite receiver for the main TV.

Thanks

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Scattershot,
You will find many posts on the different configurations. I carried a dish 1000 for awhile, but had a devil of a time aligning it for the Dish Network. I hear that DirectTV is easier, but that's just hearsay. I finally gave up. I bought the Winegard Carry Out at a much steeper price than what a simple dish antenna would cost. However, I am totally satisfied with it. It received all three DISH satellites, but only one at a time, so if you only have one TV, no problem. Not having HD capability you only need Satellite 110 and 119 which it will do easily.

No, with the correct satellite dish you would not have to re-align for the different channels. Most programming for DISH is on Sat 119. A simple Dual LNB wiould be adequate. The carryout automatically will switch between satellites for all three of them, and it does receive HD. I carry my HD VIP 722 DVR with me when I travel.

Others will be in with more information, i'm sure.

Oh! and the Carry Out. I bought a 40 foot chain and safety chain it to the SOB. It sits on the tripod made for it, and needs 12Vdc to operate.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
turley
Established Member

M.O.C. #8163
I just installed the automatic sat system after years of using ground systems. easy to install does great....camping world had it on sell.....
turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:05 AM   #5
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I've been using Dish Network successfully in the Monty for several years. Originally, I used a single LNB dish, but later swithed to the dual so we could get all channels.

With a single LNB Dish Network dish, you will only pick up one satellite at a time. As has been mentioned, most of Dish programming is on 119. I know some of the HBO and other movie channels are on 110. I think the locals are on 110 also.
An installer explained it best to my brother a few years back. He said a single LNB is like shooting a rifle, if you have a straight line of sight, you can pick up a signal. A dual, (or more) LNB is like shooting a shotgun, you have to have a 'wider' line of sight.
I personally use a Dish 500 dual LNB, with a Dish 510 DVR receiver in the Montana. Most times I can pick up both satellites quickly, but in a few campgrounds I have wrestled that bear for a hour or more to get them both. I have modified the 'arm' the LNB is attached too so it will fold in for storage. Some of the newer dish's cannot be easily modified to fold the arm.
By the way, I have a VIP722 dual HD DVR at home. While watching a channel, hit the info button twice and the satellite the signal is coming from will be displayed.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We also recently bought the Winegaurd carry out. We love it! A little pricey but worth it's weight in gold. We got ours on sale on the net for $649.00. Tripod $79.00 extra.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Scattershot, we started with DirectTV many years ago and I still have our first SD receiver which is now the RV receiver. We carry a simple round dish with a single LNB and mount it on a old surveyors tripod. The DirctTV sats are higher in the sky and I can usually set up the dish and be on the Sat in 10-15mins. I have found that the single most important thing seems to be getting the post the dish mounts on perfedctly plumb. I use a cheap 6" level. I anchor the legs of the tripod with tent pegs and short pieces of rope. Although we now have an HDT TV in the rig and HDT in the S&B, the SD is so easy to set up I have chosen to stay with SD for the rig for now, Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do the same as KDS MONY. Use a boy scout compass and a signal strength meter to set up. As Stated getting that tripod level is critical. We are shooting at a satellite the size of a VW 22,500 miles up and a wee bit off on this end is several miles on the other end. We can be set up in 10/15 mins.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
When we bought our new Big Sky last year, we bought the Winegard Traveler as recommended by Phil (Exav8tr). If you go roof mounted, it would be hard to beat this model. We had the Winegard manual in our last Monty and it would lose signal sometimes in the wind. This one has never lost signal. Pricier than the ground mounted version but when it's cold and rainy it's nice to just hit the button.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have used both Dish and Direct-TV, for our use Direct-Tv is the best and the least problem in setting up. We ordered the new SOB 5th wheel and had the Winguard Traveler 3 roof mounted dish as a option on the order sheet. We have a Samsung 40" LED and a 19" Samsung LCD in the 5er. I still carry the Slim Line by Direct-Tv that mounts on a Tri-POD for the few times we have no choice except to park under Trees we try very hard never to park under Trees, they are only a hazzard. As stated a good Tri-pod is needed, the set up of a Dish system the Tri-pod is the most important part it has to be level if you have a HD system. I have a Birdog (signal meter) also but have only used it once or twice. And don't even use a compass. About 10 minutes is all thats needed to set up the HD sattelite dish system. However I highly recomend the Traveler 3 its the best system I have ever used. Just a one button touch and it automatically locks onto the correct birds for HDTV. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
That one touch feature sure sounds good, after all the time I've spent trying to aim a standard dish! It's getting easier, though. I'll be down below an hour before you know it!
Old 05-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #12
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Just recieved a new wineguard carry out. Anxious to try it out I set it up at home for a test. It was very easy to set up and only took a few minutes even getting all the downloads. We'll be heading out next week for a cross country trip from South Fla. to Cal and hope to have ease of operation on the road.
bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks for all the helpful info, I appreciate it.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Last Post was May 28 2010

Anyone have any updates? What do you use now, or are you still with the same dish?
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We use the MotoSat DP3 for our Dish Network which is fully automated.

Like Lindy, we try never to be under trees. Why? Not just because of satellite signal - we don't like the sap, overhanging limbs, walnuts (and other nuts) falling onto our roof and ANTS! Did I mention ants? We pulled into a spot one evening when the office was closed and saw that we would have branches hitting our roof. I climbed up and removed them. From across the way came a passive-aggressive voice telling me not to remove the branches. When I said I didn't want the ants that I could see running up and down the tree getting on to our 5er, his wife told him to prune as well!

We also use the DishforMyRV for our Iphone that shows me where the satellites are before I unhook so I can adjust where I place our mansion on wheels!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
No recommendations here. Paid $67 on sale for the single LNB 18" sat dish and pay direct tv $5 per month for a extra receiver that we leave in the Monty. Switch to cable when it is available. Use the bedroom tv for local over the air channels if available. Those push-button dish set ups sound great to me, maybe next year. For now we use a 2ft level, a tiny compass and two cell phones to listen for the beeps go get faster.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #17
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Winegard Travl'er SK3005 Automatic for DirecTV HD, pricey, yep but it's nice to get connected to power, push the button on the control box, continue with set-up and before you're done TV is up and running (provided no trees).
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

We use the MotoSat DP3 for our Dish Network which is fully automated.

We also use the DishforMyRV for our Iphone that shows me where the satellites are before I unhook so I can adjust where I place our mansion on wheels!
Theres an App for that?
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Slimline dish without SWM for HD Directv and tripod from TV4RV. Put Align-a-Site on the dish and use the Tracker Plus satilite finder meter (much less expensive than the Birdog). Hookup with max signal in about 10 mins including setting up the tripod and mounting the dish. I'm very happy with the setup.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #20
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Using the same basic setup as Brokenelbow. Bought the Directv AU9-SL3 dish and an Acutrac22 Pro signal meter from Solid Signal, and a surveyors tripod and PVC fitting and pipe from Home Depot to make my own dish tripod. Can be setup and locked in to all three satelites in 10 minutes. Get's all the HD programing.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote