Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Would you believe it?

Hi, a few weeks ago I had made 2 different posts, one about an electrical problem (no running lights) and one about abnormal tire wear. Here’s the story. I had spent last season driving a shuttle bus at the Grand Canyon. We were here for 7 months; we’re back, for one more season.

I’ll try to make this short, as this is too much like work. Squirrels had chewed they’re way through the underbelly. Last summer Viv and I had noticed small pieces of what appeared to be aluminum foil around our site, but I had heat tapped a heat strip to the water hose (cold weather you know) and had used foil, so without serious though, I dismissed those little pieces as coming from the water hose.

When we hooked up the first of December to leave the Canyon we didn’t have any running lights, a couple of us tried to trouble shoot the problem to no avail. We had brakes but no running lights. (I later found out that we had a couple of brakes but not all 4.) We were headed for Lake Havasu City, it was around noon, and a 4-hour drive, so I decided to go and deal with the problem there.

We dropped the rig in Lake Havasu and headed for NY to spend the holidays with the kids. We returned the third week in January, and after a couple of faults starts I took Monty to Cowboy RV in Lake Havasu for repair. They were great to work with and my impression is that they did a fine job. Well those squirrels had been living in there for months - the wiring was gutted. The shop felt that the squirrels were still in there. The whole underbelly had to be dropped and rewired. Would not have believed it had I not seen it for myself.

A few days later the shop manager told me he went out the night before to start his car and it wouldn’t start, they checked under the hood and something had chewed on his plug wires. He said it was the truth. At least they were out of my home.

Is there some kind of spray or something that can be used to keep those devils out? There’s got to be something!

Prior to taking it in for repair I had noticed abnormal tire wear and had that looked at as well. They replaced two of the leaf springs and I put on 4 new Goodyear G614s. Many of you have said it’s an alignment problem, but the shop said that the axels were within spec. Hopefully that problem is solved. LonnieB was very helpful. Thanks Lonnie!

Our extended warranty took care of the leaf spring problem and the comprehensive took care of the wiring. $4000.00, it’s good to have insurance.

And thanks to all of you who offered assistance,

Andy

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Andy,
The old "squirrels in the belly routine" huh? Guess they felt at home w/a couple of nuts! Glad you're good to go now. Enjoy.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
The more eco-conscious folks will tell you (us) its a no-no, but I've had pretty good luck with moth balls in strategic places - especially potential entryways. Of course those furry tailed rats will make their own entranceways if they want in. We have an old shed that was already on the property when we moved here 12 years ago. I noticed about a month ago squirrels have made a perfect circular hole about 6 inches in diameter at the top to gain entrance into the attic area. grrrrr! So this weekend I was squirrel proofing it, only to find out there is a skunk under it. Ahhh the joys of country living! The last few years I've been battling armadillos. I get rid of one type of varmint and others move in in their place. Every spring I dread what they may have done to the TT - supposedly they love propabe hoses, too.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
My friends were skunked out of their house this week! What a situation. They were told it would cost $6000 to get rid of the odors.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I was told that cayenne pepper added to bird feed would keep the tree rats at bay, so I wonder if it would work to keep them out of the trailer?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120

I feel your pain.

Last summer, while boondocking, started the truck and heard a big clunk. Put the truck in gear, and had not power steering or brakes.

Looked under the truck and saw a dead rat. Obviously, the rat had been caught between a pulley and the serpentine belt. Spent several hours trying to figure out how to get the serpentine belt back on.

Varmints can sure be an annoying part of the RV lifestyle.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Tom, I think the pepper will just keep them from eating the seed - not keep them at bay.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Andy, thanks for your update. Was wondering how ya'll made out. Sounds like you are now in great shape and hope the critters move on. Best to ya...Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote