Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Question re adding desk

We are considering buying a Montana 3075RL. We want to take out the sofa and put in a computer desk with a larger TV above it. Has anyone attempted this, and if so does it look like it came from the factory? Thanks for any help.

footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Welcome to the forum! You might want to look at the 3150RL.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's a pretty ambitious remodel but I expect it can be done. I will recommend you weigh objects going in and objects being removed so that you know how the weight difference will affect your rig or your weight ratings. You will also need to evaluate if power is located there at the sofabed and getting RG-6 coax and the enough power to support computers, televisions, receivers and everything that one would put in that area. In the end I think your rig will be heavier.

If money is not an issue then I might suggest ordering the cabinet/TV/desk from a different rig and install them in your rig (assuming you get the same finish to match the existing cabinetry). You might have to modify them to fit in the sofa/bed area to not impact existing windows. I suspect you are preferring the larger kitchen in the 3075RL (because it's not the weight, since the 3150RL is lighter). Of course there is always having custom cabinets built to meet your needs but use caution on the material that might weigh a lot.

There are certainly some members in the MOC who have added or modified cabinetry, moved the sofa/bed around, or even added electrical or coax within their rigs and the results have been satisfactory to meet their needs and examples of terrific craftsmanship.

To answer your question simply put, it's possible and your patience and craftmanship will make it look how you want it. Just keep in mind, unlike a house, weight, balance and safety must remain considerable factors.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thanks for the info. Lots of things to think about.
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote