Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Montana_4423
Established Member

M.O.C. #4423
Blackwater Blues

We're(wife, cockatiel Buddy, 2005 3295rk) stationary for a time in Southern California without sewer hookup and after our toilet stopped up, our septic tank guy, who comes every 2 weeks, was unable to drain our blackwater tank and discovered sagging underbody panels which turned out to be filled with brown liquid. The septic guy suctioned out our tanks when we were gone last time and probably cracked the black tank or loosened some fiting. Calls to mobile repair (too busy or don't work on tanks) and dealers (first appointment in 2 weeks) not helpful. First, how to drain the underbody panels and then how to determine what's wrong? Anybody else done this stupid thing and have we totally ruined our wonderful 5th wheel home? We are full timers and wife has breast cancer surgery scheduled next Friday. I'm sick from what has happened and any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Montana_4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bill,
Can't tell you how sorry I am about your wife, first of all, our thoughts and prayers will be with you both.
The Black plastic will have to be removed to assess the damage, The poster child of dirty jobs, for sure. I took mine off, it's not hard, just start unscrewing and start at the passenger's side, the tank outlets as you know are on the drivers side, take one side loose and you may be able to peek up in there with a good flashlight and see something, you know what area it is in, the Black tank.
You may have to garden hose clean the bottom area under there, get you some cardboard to slide around on.
Where, and what type of breech in the tank or lines will determine the repair.
Good luck with everything.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bill,

We will be praying for you and your wife.

Get some bleach on hand, several gallons I would think, you are gonna need it for clean up purposes.

If you really cannot find anyone to look at this for you, then follow Ozz's suggestions.

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, I'm so sorry to hear of your wife's difficulties and will pray the surgery goes well and she has a full recovery.

The others have given you good advice. Those panels can be dropped so you can assess the damage. Sometimes it can be a challenge but you should be able to tell what is going on. Good luck.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I join the others in expressing empathy for the health issues your wife is facing. This doesn't make it any easier. I know your first concern is to make the black water system serviceable. A water hose, mask, gloves, and throw away clothes seem to be in order. Others have already given procedureral insight.

After that, I sure might consider filing a claim with the septic service company's liability insurance carrier. Additionally, this may be an incident covered by your own policy. If it is, you may want to claim new panals and insulation underneath and some sort of professional sanitizing cleanup process. If you can get the black water tank functioning again, the rest might wait for that dealership appointment. Sure hope better days are ahead.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
We are sorry to hear about your wife and all your troubles.
My mother you to always say: "When times are tuff, grow your nails long so you can dig in deep and hold on because it will get better."

Were at in Southern California are you at?

I was born and raised in Palm Springs (Swon Bird Capital), I know many RV'ers and services, I might can get you a phone number or two.
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
wlparry,

I can't offer any suggestions to fix your black water tank problem, but I will be praying for you and your wife to have a successful surgery on Friday. My mother was a breast cancer survivor that led a great life after surgery. Prayers are with you in the upcoming days.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
wlparry

Disposable gloves, masks, bleach, and maybe shop vac. Don't use straight bleach, it can be very caustic to the lungs. Dilute it and put in a spray bottle, about 1/2-3/4 cup of bleach per gallon of water. Kills everything. Don't mix it with any other cleaner, esp ammonia. Can release toxic fumes.

Our thoughts are with you at this very trying time. With everything that is going on right now, maybe it would be best to check into a hotel for a couple of days and have a professional cleaning service, like Servicemaster, take care of the problem so you and your wife can deal with her present illness.

Good luck and God Bless!

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When we were at a rally last month we had the Commercial "honey wagon" come around. We noted that the guy did not attach to the dump valve and suck out the tank but dumped into a large bucket then sucked out the bucket. We asked him why they did it that nasty way and he said because if I sucked it out we would collapse these RV tanks, they are not strong enough to do that.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #10
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
There have been several complains about cracked black water tanks in Montanas. Go to the Repair forum on MOC on M.A.R.S., topic "Sewer leak in basement" for more info. We have the same problem and I got some more info from carlson who also had the same problem.

Best wishes for your wife's health.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Sorry to hear about your wife and want you to know that our prayers are with you. Also sorry to hear about your black tank miseries. I think if you either private message or e-mail Carlson, he may be able to give you some advise. Depending on your situation, you may want to contact Keystone. If you find a crack in the pipe itself (not the fitting), wrap the pipe with some plyable rubber (like a tire tube) and a couple of hose clamps around the rubber and it will hold you temporarily. If the problem is in the fitting, this solution might not work. Best of luck to you and yours! Keep us posted!

AL and Nita
2003 Chevy Dually
2005 3670RL
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Had a problem almost the same. Loosed panels let drain then flushed with a hose. Let dry then dropped panels and found cracked tank. Bought a epoxy and fiberglass repair kit and patched, holding so far.

Jon & Marty
F250 6L psd
3400rl
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote