Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I am just curious, what is the mileage warranty on the Michelin tires? My Toyo have a 50,000 mile replacement warranty which seems to me Toyo is standing behind their product. The guys at the tire shop know I tow a 40' fifth wheel and a boat and said as long as I rotate the tires and take proper care of them, they will have no problems replacing them if I do not get close to 50,000 miles on them. They already have 8,000 miles on them and just got them back in October, they seem to be wearing really well.
Dave, do you know if that Toyo warranty is for full, free replacement up to 50k miles if they wear out or do they prorate the cost based on remaining tread? Reason I ask, before we leave here in early March I wnt to replace all the Montana's tires and am looking for what brand I want to go with (won't be Goodyear Marathon again!).

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
The tires I bought for my truck were Toyo brand tires from Les Schwab tire center. I am reposting this as my previous post was not correct. The tires have a 50K warranty on them and the first 25% of tread life will be replaced free of charge, after that it is pro-rated out based on remaining tread life. These tires have a little over 10,000 miles on them since October and are wearing great. Good luck in getting your coach set up with new tires.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:10 AM   #23
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I have the same BF Goodrich tires as Steve Reigle and Bill Frisbee. The truck just hit 10,000 miles and they look like new. If mine wear as long as Steve's, I should have years more of good use out of them!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Dave. Good information. I'll take a look at the Toyo tires for the Montana.

JD, I hope yours wear as well as these are doing. Keep the inflation levels reasonable (I run 65 all around when not towing and 65/80 F/R when towing), rotate every 8k to 12k miles, etc. and they ought to do well for you.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #25
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
That is what I am trying to do, Steve, though I AM running the pressures a little higher than you even when not towing. Marsha feels the ride is a bit rough, but it does not bother me. Do you see any problem at keeping them at 70?
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Steve-
Everyone has good and bad experiences with tires. While on the West Coast in 2002 in the Cardinal I replaced my tires with four tires from Les Schwab in Snohomish, Wa. I don't remember the name, think that it is the Toyo that is being discussed here, but do know that they were Japanese made and bought them on recommendation of my friend that we were visiting near Seattle.

On my way back to Texas one blew out in Lamar, Colorado and by the time I made it home the others were showing signs of belt seperation. They were all replaced with less than 5000 miles on them. Maybe just a bad experience, but I would not buy these tires again. My friend later told me that he had to take them off his trailer also for the same reason.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have only had these Toyo's on my truck now for 3 months and a tad over 10,000 miles. Have been good so far, but not sure how they would work on a fifth wheel.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
JD, 70 is probably fine. I'd watch the wear and if you see more wear in the center of the tire than on the edges then they're too high.

Charlie, it's tough these days to figure out just what brand is going to do a good job on the Montana. I really like these BFG's that are on the truck but they may be a bit more pricey than I want to go for the Montana. Will have to watch the sales. I won't do anything for another month then will buy and arrange installation for the day before we leave here. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #29
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Hi, Steve ...

The specs on my Ram 3500 say to run the BFG tires with 65 lbs in front at all times and 45 lbs in the rear when the truck is empty. I run the fronts at 65lbs at all times and the rear at 50lbs when "empty" to compensate for the weight of the hitch. When we are towing, the rears are inflated to 80lbs per Dodge specs.

As you may recall from previous posts, I am also looking for replacement tires for the Monty. Since we will not be travelling more than a one-day drive from home for another year or two, I have decided to keep the Tacomas for now. Will likely replace them with Goodyear G614 RSTs (or something equivalent) before we embark on long hauls after we retire. Will be interested to see what choice you make for tires on the Monty.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #30
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I just stopped by the Les Schwab tire dealer in town to see what he had to replace my OEM Continentals. He said right now very few manufacturers are making 18 inch tires. Hope some are available in the next 3 to 4 months I don't think these will last much longer than that and I'ld like something different.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, I'd have to go out and check (it's after midnight) the specs on mine but I think it says 65 all around. I might be wrong so will check that.

I'll price out the G14's, too, when I start looking at tires for the house in mid-February.

Thanks all.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #32
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am curious about how do you know which tire is the best to use for a fifth wheel. I looked at the following two tires from Goodyear. Wrangler HT, G614 RST tires. The Wrangler states suitable for class A,B,C or fifth wheel and has the 235/85/R16 size that came stock on the coach with a max psi of 80lbs. The G614RST is for fifth wheels and travel trailers in the 235/85/R16 with a Load range G and has a max pressure of 110psi. The wheels that are on the Montana are not made to hold 110psi, memory tells me 80psi is the max. That means one would have to get new wheels made to handle the higher psi rating? The G614RST would pretty much be out of the question. That takes me back to the Wrangler HT as being the option from Goodyear. Just trying to plan ahead for the day I actually have to replace these tires.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:53 AM   #33
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I am looking at the same option. Sent an email to Keystone re the ability of the wheels on my units to handle the G614 RST. Never got a response. It does appear from the specs, however, that 80 psi in the G614 RSTs would be the proper level of inflation for the axle weight of the Monty. Though rated for a max of 110 psi, that much pressure is for heavier units than we are hauling ... at least that is my interpretation of the data.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote