Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2005, 02:01 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Out side light

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following problem.

The round outside light on the door side of the CAP , near top of roof, has filed up with water, shorted out and the glass has turned the color of rust.

I think the cause is due to the placement of the gutter end. The end of my gutter is exactly over the light. Water runs from the gutter and flows out over the light.

I have removed the light and replaced all wiring and glass....I also have extended the gutter......

Bad engineering on the part of Keystone......

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:08 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Happens all time in any camper on any of the lights at one time or another.Checking all outside light should be on the checklist.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #3
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We haven't had this problem yet...

I haven't taken out outside lights apart yet, but they are similar to what used to be used on ambulances and I remember many of those lights (depending on manufacturer) had a vent on the inside lip that had to be pointing down. Check the lens cover to see if these have a vent hole or a marking (on the inside) showing a mounting direction.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:32 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Water runs over and around ours all the time and has never got inside. This is a source of blackstreaks, by the way. Sounds like either a bad (or missing) gasket or improper tightening of the mounting screws. It should be able to take a direct spray without getting water inside.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
BandJ,
We had the same problem with the light on the street side of the 5er. The gasket was not shaped properly which allowed water to get in and cause the problem. I was able to pick up the replacement bulb at a Carquest auto parts store....no. 1264 I think.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Pick up a couple of drip-clips or use clothes pins on your gutters. This will get the water over the light.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Often the lens on these lights gets mounted with the "weep" hole up rather than down. This allows water to get in and NOT get out. I'd double check that to make sure it is mounted correctly.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Happens all time in any camper on any of the lights at one time or another.Checking all outside light should be on the checklist.
Sorry Rich but I have never, ever had any water in any outside lights and to the best of my knowledge neither have any of my friends. Years ago I did have water behind the lens of a Chevy Van I once owned but we found there was no gasket.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote