Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Door window fell down

The glass on our entry door fell the other day. We suspect we may shut the door hard more than not. The frame that holds the glass in is plastic, and there are 2 small plastic rods/protrusions (2 on top and 2 on the bottom) that hold the glass from sliding down. On ours, both of the 2 small platic rods broke on the bottom.

The glass is attached with silicone to one side of the frame (think Al said it was the outside portion).

He took the entire thing apart, turned the plastic framing over so we now have 2 rods to hold the glass up, put silicone on both sides of glass and put the entire thing back together.

He said the rods were very small. We had this happen on our TT, both doors, so it is not a new thing. Just seems that the vendor has made them a little cheaper/weaker and this door did not last 3 years. To us, it is just another example of questionable quality from the vendors. We are not blaming Keystone. Al said he thought if that vendor would even put 2 to 4 more rods in there that this would never happen.

We are gonna try REAL hard not to slam that door any more, but it sure is hard when you got your arms full of stuff. SIGH

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Carol,
I had the same thing happen last summer. I repaired same as you. No more problems.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I don't know how to ask this but I would like to avoid having this same problem. A few years ago I quit slamming the door and started pulling the handle, close the door, release the handle. Mostly I did this as a courtesy to neighbors but also because I figured the door would last longer. I had to rebuild both doors on our old Wilderness FW and don't want to do that on this FW. What I'm wondering is whether you close the door the same way I do and thus I can expect to have this problem or do you normally just push the door close or slam it hard. I hope I'm not coming across as challenging. I really would like to avoid this problem and any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks. Ours is coming up on 3 years old.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
No problem Steve, no insult taken,

I have been thinking about that all afternoon, and I would have to say that I think Al and I both tend to slam the door. Frequently I have 3 yorks in my arms, and I give it a shove with my back end. Al said he thinks he was slamming it a lot too.

If I can get out the door with the yorks in my arms and the wind is not gonna blow it away, and if the 4th york is not acting as if it is gonna bolt out the open door to freedom, I will put the yorks in the playpen and then turn and gently close the door, as you describe.

When we are unloading, with arms full of clothes and books, and food and whatever, then we tend to slam it.

When just he and I go out, we might shut it easier. But, I think we have done a lot of slamming.

We will be paying much closer attention to this in the future. Our prior TT which we had for 14 plus years had 2 doors, both eventually had the slipping glass event. SIGH. But, not in less than 3 years, both lasted well over 10 years before we started having trouble.

I would think that a little kindness and a lot less slamming would be better in the long run.

Carol
Old 05-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
This is the very reason I used to get onto John for slamming the door on our Prowler. I finally convinced him that taking some time and shutting the door as Steve suggests is the way to do it. Hopefully, that will forestall any problems.

Now if I could convince Marsha to stop slamming the passenger side door on the F-250…
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,
We close our door by pulling out on the "handle" either inside or out. The children I used to have to "get on to" for slamming doors have gone on to slam their own doors or are trying to get their kids to stop!!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I noticed our window is loose, so guess I need to take it apart and do the repair as CountryGuy did. I tend to just push the door closed rather than close it gently. I hope the repair holds so I don't have to think about how I close it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:52 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
DHenry

Al put silicone on BOTH sides of the glass when he put it back together, he thinks that will hold it for a good long time! He said cleaning the old stuff off was not a lot of fun!

Carol
Old 05-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Why are you blaming yourselves? Doors get slammed all the time for one reason or the other. That seems to be the only way ours will shut--you have to be very, very strong to pull it closed. The manufacturer needs to take this into consideration and make the door adequate to do the job! Guess if you put your RV in a garage and never use it, you won't have any problems. That is what the manufactures would like to see---just love the paragraph in the instruction booklet which you get after you have paid your money which says that your RV is not made for fulltiming! Notice that this info isn't mentioned in the sales brochures.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #10
JackHI
Established Member

M.O.C. #938
We had the same problem on our '04. I turned the frame 180 where there were two more unbent prongs that held the glass and that lasted about 2 months in the Arizona sun. The heat let the prongs droop and down came the window again. I took the door (just 3 hinges) to the dealer to have it repaired. He said Keystone had a new frame to fix the problem. I haven't had a problem with the window since.
JackHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
mobilrvn,

Not blaming ourselves, just being honest about how we have treated the door. Our door was adjusted when it was new, and we do not have any trouble opening or closing it, it does NOT stick or rub, or anything like that.

Are you the ones with a broken frame, I thought I just read a post about that, if so, that surely would make the door jam and not function smoothly. Good luck with that repair, our hearts go out to those who have really serious problems like that. And, our prayers too.

Carol
Old 05-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Chalk one up for dear hubbie...he is always getting on me for "slamming the door" ...I will really try to pull the handle then shut it, as this is what he does too. Thank you Carol for posting about this and hopefully with this method it will prevent it from happening.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:08 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Carol, I appreciate the info. I know what you mean about having your arms full. Sometimes there's no alternative, you have to slam it.

Mobilrvn, about twice per year ours will get to where it won't close if you just push it gently. I found on ours that a little lubrication on the end of the slide or on the catch is all it takes to make it close easily. I have to do that about twice per year.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Well - I forgot that I had this happen to me too in our 2003 2955 last September. The two small knobs had also broken off, but I also found that there was really no clamping force to hold the window in the frame. I think the silicone mentioned earlier would be a good idea. Since I was in a campground at the time, I just wrapped duck tape around the edge of the window (inside and out), put it back in and tightened down the frame. The duck tape provides the needed thickness to get a clamping force in the frame. I then used a razor blade and trimmed the excess tape from the frame/window joint. Seems to be working fine.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote