Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Front electric stabalizer jacks

Does anyone know how far out the front jacks will extend ? I have heard the horror stories of people over extending them. Is there a automatic stopping point or will they just keep extending until the damage is done ?

ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
If I had to guess... 2ft. But once it hits the max, you may get an "abort" message meaning it couldn't quite get level. Best thing to do is put blocks underneath an obvious downhill in the front so that the fronts don't have to extend maximumly.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we had them, I extended them slowly a little at a time until fully extended then retracted them about an inch and marked that spot with magic marker so that from then on i could just run them out to the line and no further.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We always use 2 blocks on each side which raises the jacks about 8" off the ground so I don't have to extend legs so far.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I had problems with ours from the first day I used the trailer. I am now on my third set and they have been working for several years now.

Because the selling dealer didn’t have any (I mean 0) qualified service technicians I had to do my own repairs on a new trailer.

There is not any limiting system at all and you can damage the legs by retracting or extending them to far.

They are not hard to remove. Before installation of the last set I installed I extended both legs by hand until they reached their limit then marked them 1 inch down from the outer casing with a black Sharpie. Then retracted them all the way up until they reached their fully retracted position and then extended them 1 inch and marked them with a black Sharpie. We never exceed these marks.

I then installed them and 2 motor / transmissions and this is when I found out that Keystone uses a different motor / transmission than the manufacturer of the legs uses. It runs much faster than the one from the manufacturer of the leg. I blame the failure of the long screw on this high speed unit.

They now run slower but so far have lasted 3 years longer than the first 2 sets.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Does anyone know roughly how far they can safely extend ?
ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ctwebb

Does anyone know roughly how far they can safely extend ?
This is not the first time this question has been asked nor will it be the last. Doing a Search (check the Archived Posts box) for "landing leg extension" will result in pages of information. The first one gives you the answer: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...,leg,extension

P.S. the answer is 19" to 20".
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:38 AM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by astrungis

If I had to guess... 2ft. But once it hits the max, you may get an "abort" message meaning it couldn't quite get level. Best thing to do is put blocks underneath an obvious downhill in the front so that the fronts don't have to extend maximumly.
Well what did to prevent damage from over extending. is run the jacks down as far as you dare then get the hand crank out and crank until you feel resistance. then reverse the crank at least seven turns and mark the extend jacks with a magic marker at that point Now you have a fail safe point. you can do the same thing on the up stroke Too. Always works.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote