Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Breaker for second A/C

Hello all, one more question before I begin my front A/C install Saturday. I picked up the unit last night and brought it home (Coleman 15K Mach 8 low profile). I have a junction box in the ceiling just forward of the bedroom vent. I took the cover off last night and saw the taped up power wires in the box. I then went and look at the breaker panel to see if there was a separate breaker for the second A/C. It appears there are 6 "ganged" breakers (not counting the main 50 amp ganged breaker). The one on the far left while looking at it is labeled "AC". All of the other breakers have labels for other things around the coach. I am assuming that both A/Cs will run off of that far left breaker? I did not get my meter out to check power yet (but I will before I do anything). I will actually unplug the trailer and open the battery breaker before I do anything Saturday. Just thought someone might know something about this. -Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:41 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The breaker labeled AC is probably a 20 amp breaker. And that is not enough to run two ACs. So I doubt it is wired to both. One of the others is probably for the 2nd AC. But you will just have to play with it to see. With only the 2nd AC running, just turn off one breaker at a time until the 2nd AC stops.

Oops! You said before I begin. Yes, with all power off use a meter to check for continuity from the hot wire to the breakers (you will also need to have all breakers off to prevent feed thru). Not sure what you mean by "ganged". All the sub breakers should be individual breakers, although there may be double pole (but not ganged or connected) breakers in the panel.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:14 AM   #3
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Bill. When I typed "ganged" I did mis-type. There are not connected, but double poled breakers. -Glenn
Old 06-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had CW install my 2nd AC. but I did check beforehand to see if the wiring was in the ceiling. And it was. But I am not sure there was a breaker installed for it. All my sub breakers are double pole, except for the one for the 2nd AC. It is a single pole breaker and appears to have been added. My guess is that the wires for the 2nd AC were pulled to the distribution panel but no breaker installed. So if you can't find a breaker connected to the 2nd AC hot wire, look for a loose (maybe taped) wire in the distribution panel.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Well, this might be interesting then based on that. There are no open spots left in the breaker panel (none without breakers in them). I am hoping there is a breaker there that supplies the wires up in the ceiling by the front vent. Otherwise I will have a problem...

I guess I need to go out tonight after work and start flipping breakers until I figure that out.

Thanks again Bill.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:51 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you have unlabeled 20 breaker(s), that would be a good place to start.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If worse comes to worse you can add an extra breaker box on the roof of the basement. Ours is lower profile than the support beams and ductwork so it doesn't interfere with storage.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
With a quick look last night I did not notice any unlabeled ones, but will figure it out this evening. I can't imagine they would run wires for a second AC and not make it easy to find power at the other end (I tend to be an optimist). -Glenn